I've gotta go to Communist occupied IL friday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I lived in ill before living in in. Iwas also an armed security officer so I had to deal with this evey day. The new ruling definitly makes things better. The skinny of it is this though. In ill leos only consider locked in a case not readly availible. I was tought by many a officer and from classes that the best way to avoid trouble is to do as follows. unloaded, broken down, in a case, and locked with an actual lock. Pain in the ass yes but worth not haveing the trouble. You do not want to have to use it on someone ether because if you dont go to jail you will be sued to hell and back again twice over. Its no joke. Even if i was on duty and someone came at me with unregistered illeagle machine gun and actually hit me first even a few times and i managed to draw and shoot them im still screwed. Straight for my trainers in more then one class. I may get out of murder charges in the end but still be sued to hell and back again twice. Trust me the bs to break it down is way worth that crap. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    glad I left that state. I hate it even more that i have to go to it everyday still for work.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Thanks to BIMMER for posting this link in another thread => Illinois Court Allows Nonresidents to Transport Guns

This is great news for Hoosiers who travel into Illinois. Not only do we have the rules on our side, now we have a supreme court ruling affirming it!

By the way, in the court ruling, it clearly also states that the rules regarding the need for a FOID card are not applicable if you have an out of state LTCH.

Link to government court document quoted above (public record) => http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

That was great to read.

I hate to say "I told you so" but...aw, who am I trying to kid...I love saying it. (not you, Melensdad, but "you" in general)

I've said the same thing on here in other threads. It's nice to know the IL Supreme Court agrees with me.

:rockwoot:

:D

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    The skinny of it is this though. In ill leos only consider locked in a case not readly availible. I was tought by many a officer and from classes that the best way to avoid trouble is to do as follows. unloaded, broken down, in a case, and locked with an actual lock.

This ruling SPECIFICALLY says that's not true..

It doesn't matter what the cops in IL want now. The ruling tells them what they have to do.

On the other hand, we all know how some LEO's LOVE to follow court rulings when it restricts their abilities to enforce the law like THEY think it should be.

I'd rather follow the law & take my chances (esp. as it seems that the ILSC agrees with me) than to let the cops intimidate me into following THEIR laws. But that's just me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . . It doesn't matter what the cops in IL want now. The ruling tells them what they have to do.

. . .

I'd rather follow the law & take my chances (esp. as it seems that the ILSC agrees with me) than to let the cops intimidate me into following THEIR laws. But that's just me.

Its not just the police, they are often not well versed on the specifics of some laws. The real culprit in many of the wrongful prosecutions are the COUNTY PROSECUTORS who have some political ambitions and are trying to make a name for themselves. Here is exactly where the IL Supreme Court comes into play, they smacked down the prosecutor, not the police!

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    good solution

:patriot:I live in indiana and have to work on the southside of chicago everyday. Buy a Kimber pepperblaster II. Two shot derringer of some hardcore oc. It is legal. It's the only legal defense you can carry while the banger staring you down at the red light gets to have an uzi. Gotta love that stupid mayor of chicago.

John778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Thank you for all the input guys!
    I called the IL state police firearms div. and talked to the guy that wrote the faq. sheet on the ISP website.
    He told me I can bring a handgun if it is in a zip up case or better, mag can be in the same case with ammo in it but not in the gun.

I also asked Il State troopers about the fanny packs that are designed to hold a pistol, but he said that was illegal, since I would be "wearing" a CC. Even if unloaded.

So apparently you can carry it in it's case, but not "wear" it.

Should have asked about back packs...if I just throw a strap over my shoulder, and actually don't "wear" the thing....

:dunno:

John778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    :patriot:Gotta love that stupid mayor of chicago.

Daley was the poster boy for political corruption.

It was a national joke when they didn't get the Olympics...Senator's cracking that what has it come to when Chicago couldn't "fix" a vote!

And anyone else would have been arrested as a terrorist when he had them bulldoze a active airport runway...IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!

The guy is a JOKE....and a bad joke at that....

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I also asked Il State troopers about the fanny packs that are designed to hold a pistol, but he said that was illegal, since I would be "wearing" a CC. Even if unloaded.

Should have asked about back packs...if I just throw a strap over my shoulder, and actually don't "wear" the thing....

Convictions have been overturned by the state supreme court. Granted, you still get arrested, but you do win in the end. The Illinois State Rifle and Pistol Association has a lot of information about that.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

I agree with Bill B above.

What the trooper told you was what HE wanted the law to be not what it actually is.

There is nothing in the law that precludes someone from carrying the case on their body. There is nothing that says that if it's connected to you by a strap then it's illegal.

There have been several IL court cases dealing with the definition of a case & none have found that the only acceptable "case" was the original box that you bought it in or that it had to be firearms specific:

Unpersuaded by the State’s arguments, we conclude that the
    legislature used the broad general term “case” unmodified. Giving the
    word “case” its plain and ordinary meaning, as we must, permits but
    one conclusion: the term “case” in section 24–1.6(c)(iii) includes any
    portable or nonportable receptacle and need not be interpreted only in
    reference to firearms.

http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2009/October/106367.pdf

There was even a court case that stated that it was legal for a woman to carry an unloaded gun in her closed purse.

If that is OK then I can't see how a zipped up fanny pack is much different.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Wow, in the end of July my family will be doing a loop of Lake Michigan, we will drive straight through Ill, stopping maybe for food and gas (or food that causes gas) during our last day until we are back home again in Indiana.

jwhites4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Traffic Stop in IL of IN LTCH holder...
    Cop: Do you have any thing illegal in the car?
    you: No, Sir.
    Cop: Then you won't mind if I search the vehicle then.
    you: Actually Officer, I do not consent to any searches of my vehicle or my person as my right is protected under the Constitution of the United States and this State.
    Cop: If you arent hiding anything you would let me search the vehicle.. blah, blah
    you: I'm sorry Officer, but I do not consent to any searches.
    Cop: (giving up, seeing you are going to stand your ground) OK Buddy, sit tight and I'll be back with your ticket.

Why is everyone so easy to give up their rights that are PROTECTED? Anofficer CANNOT search your vehicle to find a handgun unless YOU allow them toor there is probable cause pertaining to the item he/ she is searching for. Probablecause would be leaving a magazine, ammo, butt of the gun, the gun itself, orcrack pipe out in the open. If you know you are carrying legally or illegally(in IL), why would you give an officer ground to stand on by searching yourvehicle or person and just open yourself to more badgering and possiblydetainment/ arrest?

I am by no means saying let’s all go to IL and test the system or break thelaw. But, if you get stopped by a cop (no matter what state) the only thing youLEGALLY have to give them is your Driver's License, Registration, and Proof ofInsurance if asked. You do not have to even speak a word. It is your right notto, protected under the Fifth Amendment, you do not have to say anything thatcould incriminate you, and you will. The best part is, there is NOTHING theycan do about it and they know it. The worst that can happen is they give you aticket (assuming you were not driving recklessly, and then you can go to jail).

As most of your fathers told you back in High School/ Jr. High/ Elementary,

"Just Say No!"

Last edited:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    .....stopping maybe for food and gas.....

Why not just fill up before entering IL, and bring your food with you?

Little sense in supporting a state that doesn't support you with the free exercise of your guaranteed constitutional rights.

Top Bottom