• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ...and I'll watch it again.
    I just finished watching an old black & white movie. I believe it was a Hitchcock film, called 12 Angry Men.

It is a story about a jury deliberation in a capitol murder trial, and almost the entire movie is set inside the jury room, and without a musical soundtrack.
    It is an extremely intense yarn with a star-stuuded cast including Henry Fonda, Jack Klugman, Ed Begley, E,.G. Marshall, and a few that escape my memory at the moment.

I like old(er) movies. They had more of a plot, or story. Too many films today rely too much on computer generated graphics and are almost void of a decent story line.
    12 Angry Men always reminds me of another Hitchcock film that was also shot almost exclusively on one set.
    That movie was Lifeboat. If you haven't seen it, you're missing something.

Are there any film noir buffs on this site, or am I the only one?
    What are your favorites?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    Great movie. My personal favorite of that genre is Judgement at Nuremberg with Spencer Tracy and Burt Lancaster and several others. Most old movies to me are just "old" but a few are outstanding IMHO.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve seen that. It’s a good one.

For the last several months, my wife has gotten on a Gunsmoke kick. I have to admit, I enjoy them too...especially the pre-1970(ish) ones.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    ...and I'll watch it again.
    I just finished watching an old black & white movie. I believe it was a Hitchcock film, called 12 Angry Men.

It is a story about a jury deliberation in a capitol murder trial, and almost the entire movie is set inside the jury room, and without a musical soundtrack.
    It is an extremely intense yarn with a star-stuuded cast including Henry Fonda, Jack Klugman, Ed Begley, E,.G. Marshall, and a few that escape my memory at the moment.

I like old(er) movies. They had more of a plot, or story. Too many films today rely too much on computer generated graphics and are almost void of a decent story line.
    12 Angry Men always reminds me of another Hitchcock film that was also shot almost exclusively on one set.
    That movie was Lifeboat. If you haven't seen it, you're missing something.

Are there any film noir buffs on this site, or am I the only one?
    What are your favorites?

What amazed me about this film is that it is basically shot all on one set - the jury deliberation room. There are several soon to become well known actors including Eli Wallach. I kinda have like the movie less since I learned what a liberal Henry Fonda was.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Once upon a time movies had to ring your bell with mental and emotional connection. Horror and Si-fi films required an imagination to immerse oneself in the experience. They had few "special effects" nor photoshop abilities or the societal permission to show gore or violence. It was all on the viewer to feel the scene. Old movies are deep if one will stop and allow your 21st century self to fell what the director was trying to convey...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    Once upon a time movies had to ring your bell with mental and emotional connection. Horror and Si-fi films required an imagination to immerse oneself in the experience. They had few "special effects" nor photoshop abilities or the societal permission to show gore or violence. It was all on the viewer to feel the scene. Old movies are deep if one will stop and allow your 21st century self to fell what the director was trying to convey...
    Lots of truth here. One of my all time sci-fi films is Forbidden Planet with Leslie Nielsen and Anne Francis (Yum!) and by today's standards the special effects are crude and simple. The story telling though is great and the film became a bench mark for future sci-fi films to meet and surpass.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    12 Angry Men is a fantastic film.
    I wanted to show it in my Government class, but I thought it being b+w and being a more "intellectual" approach than what they were used to, I didn't give it a try.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Glad to see I'm not the only fan of the genre.

I really believe that as Hollywood gets more international, think Chinese market, folks will return to the media of old through streaming and social media for movies that offer American values and the presentation of right and wrong. I hope...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, great movie indeed. To Kill a Mockingbird is a close second.

If you can stand the raciness, (I know there are quite a few VERY conservative types here) Wild Things is very good. Nice plot twists and a good story. Part of the story is rather sexual, but to their credit, its not gratuitous and is a key part of the plot. Its so good you have to watch the credits to fully understand the movie after the fact. (mini scenes that show what you missed that fills in the blanks)

Reminds me I need to watch North by Northwest again. Thats another good one.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Great movie. Love the Noir stuff. Reminds me of my teenage son and I watching it. Going thru the very tough teenage years coinded the phrase to him, I like my drama on tv not at home. Wow those were some rough years at home.
    I also like the sci-fi stuff. Was trying to watch The Bamboo Saucer last night on Roku but my wireless internet speed was so bad I couldn't watch it. Argg!

Morgan88

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My favorite is Night of the Hunter. Most 1950s films don't hold up real well, but that one does.

Robert Mitchum is amazing in it. His Reverend Harry Powell is one of the most memorable movie villains ever. Right up there with Hannibal Lecter in my book.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, another really good one is Bad Day at Black Rock. Spencer Tracy is an (unarmed) investigator who shows up to a remote desert town by train to figure out what happened to an old war buddy who died mysteriously. Soon after he arrives, he finds pretty much the ENTIRE town is ruled by a corrupt Sheriff and his flunkies. No way to call for help, and no chance to get out until the next train, which wont be for another 24 hours.

Top Bottom