Ivy Tech Lawrence (Indy) campus parking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cermo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Boy, sounds like I might have strayed off topic doesn't it? By the way, first post, good to meet you all.

I attend classes at the Lawrence campus twice a week, and I've read a few threads that I'm pretty sure have already settled the question of whether I can carry on campus: I can't. I also can't have my gun in my car if it's parked on school property. What I'm wondering is if any locals know if one of the adjacent properties might be gun-friendly and allow a student to park his loaded car there?

I know I could just ask, and I probably will. I'm just hoping someone here may have thought of this already and investigated so I know where to start.

Thanks.

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    Although I am not 1005 sure, I believe the lot across the street by the track is publicly owned. Don't kmow who you would ask to be sure. The police station is right down the street, they might be able to help too. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Cermo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    I wondered about that track. I didn't see any signage when I drove by it. I'll have to just stop and ask one of the people using it. Thanks, and thanks for the welcome.

Cermo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Brandon: This post in another thread summed it up I think. And I've seen the same information cited somewhere in the labyrinthine Ivy Tech website.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Does the Lawrence campus have a day care in it?
    If Ivytech doesn't want you to carry or have them on their campus it's not against the law. If they find out they can ask you to leave...

Cermo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    I can't find on the ivytech.edu site where it actually called it a felony, only that it's against school policy. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

I don't know if there's a daycare on the property, but there is one adjescent to it to the south. They actually share the parking lot. I'm not sure about anything now. :n00b:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Brandon: This post in another thread summed it up I think. And I've seen the same information cited somewhere in the labyrinthine Ivy Tech website.
    I believe that post is in error.

Ivy Tech is NOT a school. They do NOT offer High School Classes. They offer COLLEGE classes that some/many high schools accept for credit. To enroll in these classes, you must become a student at Ivy Tech. They fact that that person may be a minor and also enrolled in a high school is not relevant.

I checked the map, and there is a daycare on the north side of Hawkins Road. This appears near the student parking, so don't inadvertently park in their lot.

Ivy does have the typical restrictions on firearms "on campus". Funny, though, that they also offer firearms courses, and have no provision in their "policy" for the firearms used for instruction. :rolleyes:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    You really might want to check your handbook. I attend Lafayette campus and the Bloomington campus, and the only restriction is that firearms and ammunition, along with other things, are not permitted in the lockers. No other restriction on firearms. Now I am not going to OC on campus, but mine is in my bag.

Cermo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Okay, I'm going to keep my weapon secured in my car with confidence (relative confidence... I drive an '83), and I'll try to find more information on restrictions, which I really didn't realize were campus-specific. Thanks a lot guys!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Does the Lawrence campus have a day care in it?
    If Ivytech doesn't want you to carry or have them on their campus it's not against the law. If they find out they can ask you to leave...
    If you are a student you can be expelled. Try getting into another school after you've been expelled for any reason...

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Why am I getting ^? I have the student handbook, I have read the student handbook. The only mention of firearms is that there will be no storage of firearms, ammunition, explosives, perishable food, etc in the lockers. Unless someone can point to something in writing, that is the way it is.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Why am I getting ^? I have the student handbook, I have read the student handbook. The only mention of firearms is that there will be no storage of firearms, ammunition, explosives, perishable food, etc in the lockers. Unless someone can point to something in writing, that is the way it is.

I currently attend the Lafayette campus. Admittedly, I have not read the student handbook. Is yours 100% up to date on current regulations? I find it hard to believe there would not be any negative consequences to the school finding out one was carrying a gun...:dunno:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

Maybe you have an old copy, or they haven't updated the one they post on-line via their website? Here is a link from their website:

http://www.ivytech.edu/shared/shared_corepository/CodeOfStudentRights-ResponsibilitiesFinal.pdf

"15. Possession of Firearms: Possession of any weapon or potential weapon on any college property contrary to law or college policy; possession or display of any firearm on college property, except in the course of an authorized activity."

Sounds like firearms are totally banked, knives/OC/etc. aren't banned unless they themselves are a violation of law or used in some manner that violates another policy.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I used to cc there all the time, don't show off, don't play with it.

I hate leaving my gun in the car for any reason.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Not to dig up an old thread, but I'm enrolling into Ivy Tech and I always carry...is it 100% to carry in Columbus Ivy Tech?

Floater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Chesterton
    Not to dig up an old thread, but I'm enrolling into Ivy Tech and I always carry...is it 100% to carry in Columbus Ivy Tech?
    It is not illegal, but it is against school policy. Check out the link provided by Indy317. My wife works on the administration side of the college, and teaches a few classes as well, and she's informed me that the college is very anti-weapon, be it firearms, knives, mace/pepper spray, etc. Basically, if you're caught, you WILL be expelled. Ultimately, the decision is yours. Carry with the possibility of being expelled or don't carry with the possibility of being a victim. Weigh the pros and cons and go from there.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Check for a daycare, otherwise you should be GTG.

How do you check for a day care?

It is not illegal, but it is against school policy. Check out the link provided by Indy317. My wife works on the administration side of the college, and teaches a few classes as well, and she's informed me that the college is very anti-weapon, be it firearms, knives, mace/pepper spray, etc. Basically, if you're caught, you WILL be expelled. Ultimately, the decision is yours. Carry with the possibility of being expelled or don't carry with the possibility of being a victim. Weigh the pros and cons and go from there.

If I'm not breaking the law, I'd rather be expelled then to be a victim

Top Bottom