• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I'm entering the 4th quarter of my life and realize that changes are coming. Whether it is the caliber, carry system, weight of the pistol, sights, etc., what once was now has to be evaluated as to if I can continue. Skin conditions, arthritis, glasses, and a host of other conditions force these reevaluations. The story now is the same as in the beginning, what works for me. This is true for all of us at some point in our lives. As to the OP it does not really matter iwb or owb the weight is the same so if pain occurs then the position must change or the gun and caliber must change or just live with it as best as you can, but change is coming.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carried a SS Colt Double Eagle 45ACP in the small of my back in an ITB holster for over 20 years! I am now 77 YO and have had both hips replaced and deteriorating arthritus in my lower spine! The weight and size of the Colt became an issue to drive any distance and even caused discomfort when walking.

I finally gave up carrying that gun and went to my current Kimber Solo 9MM, carrying it at about 3-4 oclock in an ITB Graco holster. Works well for me without any issues.
    All of your problems originated with Colt Double Eagle! The answer to a question nobody asked for realz!;)

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have degenerative disc from top to bottom. My normal carry is IWB, either a 10mm 6" or a 1911 5". Even with a good belt an OWB pulls my paints down quicker than the IWB. OWB has no difference for pain. If my back starts hurting I go to a shoulder holster with double mag carrier. I know a shoulder holster is knocked by the gun mags and a lot of people who have never used one or tried for a few days. The way we dress now also makes it low on usage unless you open carry. It puts the carry weight on the shoulders where it needs to be.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you have lower back pain / hip pain, check your wallet's size, position, and thickness. Sitting on a fat wallet all day WILL screw up your lower back.

Wearing an IWB holster in pants that do not fit right will probably not feel well, either. Pants are meant to be worn not too far south of the belly button. If your pants don't fasten there, honestly, your pants are too small. Invest in properly fitting pants. THEN you'll probably have to buy a new GOOD GUN BELT because you've been living a lie with your pants sizes for too long.

For all of us: Our core strength and core endurance is probably horrible. Building good core strength and muscle endurance is generally the cure for a good deal many back problems. Or at least a preventative measure against pains and injuries from beginning.

That said - I carry OWB 99.5% of the time with a GOOD gun belt.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    If you have lower back pain / hip pain, check your wallet's size, position, and thickness. Sitting on a fat wallet all day WILL screw up your lower back.

Wearing an IWB holster in pants that do not fit right will probably not feel well, either. Pants are meant to be worn not too far south of the belly button. If your pants don't fasten there, honestly, your pants are too small. Invest in properly fitting pants. THEN you'll probably have to buy a new GOOD GUN BELT because you've been living a lie with your pants sizes for too long.

For all of us: Our core strength and core endurance is probably horrible. Building good core strength and muscle endurance is generally the cure for a good deal many back problems. Or at least a preventative measure against pains and injuries from beginning.

That said - I carry OWB 99.5% of the time with a GOOD gun belt.

+1 for pants at the right altitude. certainly more difficult for some (belt size deniers and nobutt syndrome) than others.

Don't forget posture. Keep the spine straight, stomach in, shoulders back, etc. Both sitting and standing. Something else I've learned causes problems but is correctable already and I'm just a few years into my second quarter in life.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Lotta good pieces here. My thoughts and connecting them:

It comes down to ergonomics and having the right tools. A good belt that supports the gun and distributes the weight so you don't have to crank a flimsy belt so tight does wonders. A good holster that doesn't poke and prod or slide around does wonders. All of that comes down to ergonomics just like a good keyboard and properly positioned chair, keyboard, and monitors. (which is why I have one of these at work: View attachment 70299 and honestly, it works! (after an adjustment period of course) I've had carpel tunnel symptoms for years but not since switching to this thing). Just like a good set of shoes or boots can be worn all day vs a worn out (or bad to start with) set will have you about in tears inside an hour because you hurt from your ankles to your ears.

I've read (no link, this was years ago) that one of the contributing factors of so many guys needing hip replacements was that they carry a wallet in the back pocket, that throws the hips out of alignment when sitting. Furthermore, talk to any chiropractor or PT: alignment of the legs, hips, shoulders, general posture, alignment of chairs, how you walk, etc all plays into your back. Stick a 2-3lb weight an inch thick on one side and you are slightly off balance. If you already have a history of general problems or an acute injury, they just exacerbate each other.

My vote is that the quality of the belt and holster matter more than IWB or OWB. I have good and bad holsters of each. I can carry the same gun IWB all day in a good holster no problem while a bad OWB is constantly poking and dragging my pants down or a good OWB that I forget is even there.

Solution: Carry a matched set for proper balance! :):

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I will not wear my pants at Navel height....at least not until I hit 50!
    They don't have to cover it but they are more comfortable and manageable the closer to it than hanging off the plumbing.

what about the backup for your backup?

I suppose spare mags would work as counterweight too. I have my phone and wallet on the left side for exactly that reason.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Actually, I thought about that. Tried it with the left side pistol facing backwards. It would either print too much or dig into my side. Today I carried my normal pistol at 3 o'clock, with a mag on the belt on the left and a .380 in the left front pocket. Cell phone and another mag in right front pocket. Pretty comfy most of the day.

Top Bottom