• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I carry a Izula around my neck and a ESEE 4 IWB, I've never had a rusting problem and I don't oil them. I do wear a under shirt all the time. The Izula gets used everyday but the ESEE 4 may only get used once a week.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Care to elaborate as to what brand of knives you are referring to?

My pleasure. Busse, Swamp Rat and Scrapyard Knives.

I have many and you'll hardly find rust on any. My first CGFBM will get a little surface rust because of the decard that's still on it after stripping but it cleans up very easily. I haven't had any rust on any other INFI I have.

My SR101 SwampRats and SYKCO's also don't rust. Only ever found a little on an edge after it was used and I forgot about it. It was months later.

I bought my daughter a satin finish SR101 Swamp Rat Redent 3 and my nephew a combat grade SR101 Rodent 3 and neither have rusted. There are knives used my kids and not cleaned or oiled regularly.

I also carry daily a Medford Praetorian T in D2. It gets used and handled by many people...no rust.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My pleasure. Busse, Swamp Rat and Scrapyard Knives.

I have many and you'll hardly find rust on any. My first CGFBM will get a little surface rust because of the decard that's still on it after stripping but it cleans up very easily. I haven't had any rust on any other INFI I have.

My SR101 SwampRats and SYKCO's also don't rust. Only ever found a little on an edge after it was used and I forgot about it. It was months later.

I bought my daughter a satin finish SR101 Swamp Rat Redent 3 and my nephew a combat grade SR101 Rodent 3 and neither have rusted. There are knives used my kids and not cleaned or oiled regularly.

I also carry daily a Medford Praetorian T in D2. It gets used and handled by many people...no rust.

But Busse knives are also generally close to double in cost to ESEE, and ESEE has the better warranty. Rust is a fact of life with 1095 if people are not willing to put up with it then get the 440C version or spring for the Busse. Generally speaking people are not willing to spend what Busse commands price wise either. Also I am not hating on Busse considering the fact I have several pieces of INFI sitting in my collection currently and none of it is the Combat Grade either.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    But Busse knives are also generally close to double in cost to ESEE, and ESEE has the better warranty. Rust is a fact of life with 1095 if people are not willing to put up with it then get the 440C version or spring for the Busse. Generally speaking people are not willing to spend what Busse commands price wise either. Also I am not hating on Busse considering the fact I have several pieces of INFI sitting in my collection currently and none of it is the Combat Grade either.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but the warranty, at least they are equal. Busse has never turned down any issue, even when blatant abuse was the cause, such as someone shooting their knife with a rifle and chipping one of the micarta scales. Is there not some ESEE knives out there from before Rowen was making them, that the warranty is different?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I agree with most of what you wrote, but the warranty, at least they are equal. Busse has never turned down any issue, even when blatant abuse was the cause, such as someone shooting their knife with a rifle and chipping one of the micarta scales. Is there not some ESEE knives out there from before Rowen was making them, that the warranty is different?

ESEE will replace the blade or fix it no matter what see the picture at the bottom of the page
    ESEE Knives - Randall's Adventure and Training

Busse only covers unintentional major damage (So the guy who shoot his ESEE would not be covered under Busse's warranty) .
    Our Guarantee

The warranty's are similar but ESEE's is slightly better, and honestly I am not familiar with pre Rowen ESEE knives so I cannot comment on them.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    ESEE will replace the blade or fix it no matter what see the picture at the bottom of the page
    ESEE Knives - Randall's Adventure and Training

Busse only covers unintentional major damage (So the guy who shoot his ESEE would not be covered under Busse's warranty) .
    Our Guarantee

The warranty's are similar but ESEE's is slightly better, and honestly I am not familiar with pre Rowen ESEE knives so I cannot comment on them.

Thanks for the links, from reading both, Busse does in fact have the better warranty. They have never turned down a claim I'm aware of, and they do not have any knives they have ever made that is excluded from that warranty.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the links, from reading both, Busse does in fact have the better warranty. They have never turned down a claim I'm aware of, and they do not have any knives they have ever made that is excluded from that warranty.

So if I purposely did something to my Busse that made it brittle enough to break easily, then I broke it, would Busse replace it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Only one way to find out, you gonna put that hell razor to a grinder, or in a fire? :popcorn:

Maybe heat to about 1900 F and quench in cold water, or perhaps do a little electrolysis to get some hydrogen embrittlement (yeah, I've got a buddy who is a materials engineer and we texted about it last night).

Heh heh heh

It would be an expensive experiment if we learned that Busse's warranty isn't quite as good as ESEE's.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Maybe heat to about 1900 F and quench in cold water, or perhaps do a little electrolysis to get some hydrogen embrittlement (yeah, I've got a buddy who is a materials engineer and we texted about it last night).

Heh heh heh

It would be an expensive experiment if we learned that Busse's warranty isn't quite as good as ESEE's.

It's your knife, do as you please. Simple fact, the very knife that's being sugested as a good replacement for Roadie's rusting knife, the stainless izula, is not warranted the same as other ESEE knives. So, to me, as I read it, Busse's warranty is better.

ESEE Knives said:
    Note: We do not warranty our 440C Stainless Steel knives from abuse. It should be noted that 440C is not as flexible as our carbon steels. Any excessive flexing will cause the knife to break.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It's your knife, do as you please. Simple fact, the very knife that's being sugested as a good replacement for Roadie's rusting knife, the stainless izula, is not warranted the same as other ESEE knives. So, to me, as I read it, Busse's warranty is better.

Also like to add that the Busse Elmax is protected under their warranty too.

Buy once, cry once. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You gave it to me:whistle:

Heh! That would be better than lost.

I switched to my ESEE 3 for a weekend (I think the weekend we had the fire building practice) and I distinctly remember putting the MSK in a bag with some other stuff so I would not lost it (irony alert). I just can't find or remember which bag it was. I'm getting old.

Top Bottom