• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    For me the availability of guns are not the issue. It is the availability of ammo at the stores. 45 Long Colt is one that I used to be able to go to RK any day of the week and get it to feed my Marlin 1894 and Colt SAA. Not now...they have been sold out for awhile with no "get well date". I jokingly say that its because of those damn Taurus Judge's that they (RK) always have on sale as they shoot 410 and 45LC .RK Guy said "yep...usually do sell a box of 45LC(if we have it) when I sell a Judge.Lot of first time gun owners" Oh well... There is always GB... sucks though cause you have to pay shipping. Well... I will stop complaining now. :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I need some stuff....

Ruger 4B and 4BO rings (one of each- new torx screw style).
    Daniel Defense fixed rear sight and 1 oclock rail mount

And a gloss Leupold 3-9X would be nice, or an old M8 4X (or even 8X w AO).

In the old days I'd just run to Lengels. Dunno of shops w cool old stuff anymore.
    Or who has new stuff I need in stock.
    Called a couple............out.

Sucks but anymore, web order about the only way to go.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I guess current events are good for the firearms manufacturers.

Umm, better for distributors than the manufacturers.

I have long told INGO buy them cheap and stack them deep--complete ARs, lowers, uppers, AND magazines. Ammo needs no explanation.

I have described my PACE triads in the past. PACE your long guns and PACE your handguns. It brings focus to the needful. Gun owners have a tendency to dog's breakfast of organization, think PACE and get your priorities straight.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I know ammo (9mm in particular) is up about 30% from the distributors so expect ammo prices to increase.. I've seen the invoices so don't blame your local shop for raising prices it's simple economics, when you pay more for an item you are forced to charge more.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    I was looking at the SS109 rounds at SGAmmo for $400. I didn't want to but I went ahead and ordered some. I don't think it will be cheaper any time soon.

ty for mentioning that. The concept of ordering ammo online is something I have to get used to again.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

I have long told INGO buy them cheap and stack them deep--complete ARs, lowers, uppers, AND magazines. Ammo needs no explanation.

I have described my PACE triads in the past. PACE your long guns and PACE your handguns. It brings focus to the needful. Gun owners have a tendency to dog's breakfast of organization, think PACE and get your priorities straight.

You are absolutely correct Kirk. Several of the old timers (me included) have often advised the newby's and some not so new to buy what they could afford when the prices were low. Too many think they have enough when their next range trip is covered! My youngest Son (He is approaching 50) and I collect firearms and ammo.

We have multiple reloading stations and equipment and enough components to reload in excess of 30-40K (less some brass we will reuse if necessary). A few years ago he purchased a new Hornady L&L rotary with all the extras to load over 30 different rounds. (We already had several single stations and one rotary). We have enough lead to cast thousands of bullets, 3 lead pots, molds for almost all calibers, a heated lubrisizer, dies for over 35 different calibers and other needed equipment.

For several years I purchased 30-06 in bulk from CMP every year (we have 3 Garands, a 1903A3, and a US Enfield in 30-06.) Have more than enough in stock now to shoot to our hearts content until we die.

Have more 22LR, 9mm, .308 7.62X54R, 7.62X39, 45ACP, 45LC, 44Mag & SPL, 38SPL, .357 mag, than we could shoot a lifetime! Also have some (500 rounds or so) of oddball like 17 Hmr, .22mag, .300 mag, 6.5x55, 7.5x55 etc.

Almost everything we have was purchased in bulk when prices were quite low, today the cost would be at least 3 times what we paid!

There were many amazing deals for firearm and ammo in the last year or so. We sure aren't going to purchase anything until prices come back down or we see a good deal. Hate it as I usually try to purchase a firearm and or make a bulk purchase of ammo every few months. We have not shot any for the last few months due to the Covid19, as my wife is in poor health and I stay isolated other than trips for food.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If Sandy Hook did not bring the new way of things into focus for the regular crowd in here and we did not share this with the new kids coming in I have no idea what to tell people anymore.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I guess current events are good for the firearms manufacturers.

Two years ago they had a glut of guns and I was able to pick up a S&W M&P Sport II for the fire-sale price of only $499.

Today I saw an ad from a major dealer with the same gun priced at "only $749, down from $799."

I actually think these situations are bad for firearm's manufacturers. It encourages a false sense of a need to grow in a bubble of a market that will eventually pop.
    Looks great in the short term, but if they play their cards wrong it could be the end of their business.

Also probably rough for gun shops who can't get any inventory to justify staying open.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    If Sandy Hook did not bring the new way of things into focus for the regular crowd in here and we did not share this with the new kids coming in I have no idea what to tell people anymore.

Yup, we've been going through gyrations since 1994 but the post-Sandy Hook panic was the worst I'd ever seen.

This current panic isn't quite as bad as Sandy Hook but the underlying reasons behind it make me much more nervous:

A virus still causing widespread economic pain and social disruption.

Leftist / BLM anarchy and violence across our country.

A politically and racially divided country on the eve of an election that might usher in a door-to-door confiscation campaign which would ignite an armed backlash that would lay waste to our nation and way of life.

At 50 years old, I've worked too hard to see my life's work and my family put at risk by Marxists determined to bring about another Cultural Revolution.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute

Sorry, I'm a newb. What's the PACE about?

Top Bottom