• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Looking at getting a leather holster from Jackson Leatherworks. I have always loved his work and just want something a little nicer than kydex every once in a while. I came across the following combo holster pic that has a mag holder in front of the pistol. Looks great but not sure how practical it is. Anyone carry this way? I'm sure it will kill my reload time but would ensure I always have an extra mag. Looking for some input. Thanks.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Nice looking setup. I don't have one, just wanted to note that the mag is turned backwards meaning if this rig was worn at a 3 o'clock position, the mag would be well positioned for a cross draw grab. With a little practice I bet you'd not see much extra time. Of course, the belt would be a little heavier on the one side now. :)

AJEVI

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    Los Angeles
    That's some fine leather work there. What would a hostler like that run you? And having that extra mag when you need it is always nice.

sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    That's some fine leather work there. What would a hostler like that run you? And having that extra mag when you need it is always nice.

I haven't gotten a quote yet but based on some previous items I have asked about I'm betting ~$150. Expensive but some things are worth it. At least that's what my wife told me with the last purse she brought home.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    let me ask you this:

If the gun is in your strong hand...how easy will it be to access that magazine to insert it into the gun?

Answer: Not very accessible or practical at all.

sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Visually it is very appealing to me, like a work of art. However, I questioned how practical it would be as well, that was the main reason for the post. I have been playing with the cross draw on the mag theory a little that was mentioned above, but seem to have a front loaded body shape that interferes with that a little (ie. my arms are to short or my gut is to big). The other thought I had was to put my EDC light in the mag pouch instead and go with a weak side mag carrier. I know it would be better to have the EDC light on my weak side is well in case I need to draw both but currently it rides in my strong side pocket so I figure this would be an improvement.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    yes, the holster looks nice. and it'd probably work for bedside / nightstand / safe duty.

But not for actual carry.

Unless carrying near one's front centerline, you'll want your spare mag on your weak side.

Top Bottom