• ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    James Holmes picked Designate Victim Zone/

Issues like this is why I really think that Designated Victim Zones should be avoided. It's also why I hate that I will have to disarm at work, and when dropping off my son at school. It also makes me glad that other then those few areas here in Indiana, the no carry signs have no weight.

I'm also wondering if campuses like Purdue and IUPUI really are no carry zones for students and staff alike?

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    James Holmes picked Designate Victim Zone/

Issues like this is why I really think that Designated Victim Zones should be avoided. It's also why I hate that I will have to disarm at work, and when dropping off my son at school. It also makes me glad that other then those few areas here in Indiana, the no carry signs have no weight.

I'm also wondering if campuses like Purdue and IUPUI really are no carry zones for students and staff alike?

I don't have a child in school anymore, but other than that, I agree with you completely. As for your final question, officially, yes, they are. Unofficially..... Who can say? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't have a child in school anymore, but other than that, I agree with you completely. As for your final question, officially, yes, they are. Unofficially..... Who can say? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Really?

I'm pretty sure that officially, you CAN carry on IN college campuses, however because they are private property, the owners can and have instituted rules prohibiting the carry of firearms, but that is a civil matter, not a criminal one.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Really?

I'm pretty sure that officially, you CAN carry on IN college campuses, however because they are private property, the owners can and have instituted rules prohibiting the carry of firearms, but that is a civil matter, not a criminal one.

It's neither civil nor criminal. He asked if they were no-carry zones for student and staff alike, and they are. I liken it to parent-teacher conferences at the kindergarten level, where on entering the classroom, your child might tell you of some rule applicable to her and her classmates (say, for example, that one must raise his or her hand and be called on to be allowed to speak in the classroom.) You, her parent, are not bound by that rule, but if she speaks out of turn, her name will go on the board and a second violation will result in a call home. All she knows is that you raise your hand before you speak in the classroom.
    Similarly, the campus rules about carry there do not apply to me, as I'm not connected to the college. They do apply to students and staff members, however. My point about official vs. unofficial is merely that some may have chosen to value their lives and safety more highly than their employment or education, and thus, the "gun-free zone" isn't necessarily as gun-free as its creators might have hoped.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, but thanks for questioning the point so I could elaborate. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Really?

You can, as long as you aren't a student or an employee. If you are a student, they can expel you. If staff, they can fire you.

Top Bottom