• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Perhaps you should review the history of earlier examples, such as The New York State Thruway and The Ohio Turnpike with special attention to the patronage schemes that grew up around their executive commissions and employment. It seems impossible, in any example I'm aware of, to keep the revenues devoted to the stated purpose. Would you feel so good about it if your tolls went to build more roundabouts in Carmel?
    You have me confused with someone else. I like roundabouts, and I live in NWI. :):

We also have the Indiana Toll Road, which as Hough pointed out the rest of the state takes a pretty big share of the take from the leasing of it. I chose to quit using it soon after that due to the increased prices both in Indiana and even more so for the Skyway in Chicago. The trip went from $3.50 each way to $7.00 each way in 10 years.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    All I know is that I don't think I can stand any more road construction.

Any not a fan or more toll roads, but up here in the corner, when going east to west (or versa vise) across Lake and Porter counties and in and out of Chicago, the the couple of bucks must mean something to people because the Borman (80/94) is usually a mess and the toll road is usually wide open. Get the EZ Pass and forget about it.
    The tolls going to and from Chicago have gotten to be ridiculous. I am not paying $14 a day to go that route. I go in before 6AM and leave at 3PM, which usually isn't that bad for traffic. Takes me about 10-15 minutes longer to avoid them, and I usually am able to drive at an acceptable speed for me. :):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The tolls going to and from Chicago have gotten to be ridiculous. I am not paying $14 a day to go that route. I go in before 6AM and leave at 3PM, which usually isn't that bad for traffic. Takes me about 10-15 minutes longer to avoid them, and I usually am able to drive at an acceptable speed for me. :):

If I drove it every day, I would probably feels the same way. I go into Chicago about twice a month.

When I use the toll road to commute, it's only from Portage to 49, so 74 cents each way.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I was pretty excited when I first heard Merritt was running. I'm disappointed by his campaign. He has little chance of winning. Hogsett is actually not a bad mayor. It will be hard to unseat him.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Whenever I drive through the "EZ Pass" only lanes, I feel like a member of a private club.....course when I get stuck behind and idiot who can't read a large, lit-up, purple and white sign that say "EZ Pass Only" and is trying to pay in cash or with a card....my baser instincts are revealed.

Those idiots should be forced to pay double the toll as a stupid tax. We came home via the tollway for the first time on vacation (the first year since the Ohio river bridge tolls I actually remembered to put my transponder in the wife's car) and we ran into one of those idiots. I SO wanted to move my foot over to the gas pedal and ram him out of the way. (She was driving)

I didnt realize there was a monthly fee for EZ Pass. If so go to riverlink and sign up there, and upgrade from a river tag (free) to an EZ Pass transponder. ($20) I pay no annual fees for my EZ Pass through my Riverlink account. Only thing I dont like is I had to fund it with a minimum of $20. Probably 2 years worth of bridge crossings for me in a typical year. You have to maintain a balance as they dont bill your card for each crossing.

I was pretty excited when I first heard Merritt was running. I'm disappointed by his campaign. He has little chance of winning. Hogsett is actually not a bad mayor. It will be hard to unseat him.

He's also not a very good mayor. No accountability, only shows up in public for photo ops and doesnt talk to the media unless he is forced to. (doesnt typically do interviews)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I personally am all in for toll roads around Indy if the money goes to the entire state!
    Heck you guys can put some tolls on some roads up in NWI (little Chicago) If you want.

We will use the money for riverfront development and port improvements our roads down here are fine.

Thanks for your “big city money” it makes our lives easier and taxes lower!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I remember 30years ago when the lottery was enacted, 50% was to go to winners and 50% to schools and roads. I wonder what the % is now?

NPR had a report on this earlier this year.
    The % is still the same in most states with lottery but what changed was the % going to education from the general fund.

Before the lottery say Illinois allocated 25% of its general fund to education. After the lottery they allocated 10% from the general fund. The thinking was well education is using the lottery fund so they dont need more. But that is the opposite of why the lotteries were created/sold as.

It was sold as an added bonus to the education fund. Over time that went away.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

You are PORTER county you SHOULD have to pay double cause you our leaving your county and crossing LAKE to get to chiraqi! :p

I dont mind the IL tollway system, minus the skyway. It's always clean of snow, nice roads, and unless you are doing 95+ mph the state troopers dont bother. :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    NPR had a report on this earlier this year.
    The % is still the same in most states with lottery but what changed was the % going to education from the general fund.

Before the lottery say Illinois allocated 25% of its general fund to education. After the lottery they allocated 10% from the general fund. The thinking was well education is using the lottery fund so they dont need more. But that is the opposite of why the lotteries were created/sold as.

It was sold as an added bonus to the education fund. Over time that went away.

The lottery is a tax on people that can't do math

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those idiots should be forced to pay double the toll as a stupid tax. We came home via the tollway for the first time on vacation (the first year since the Ohio river bridge tolls I actually remembered to put my transponder in the wife's car) and we ran into one of those idiots. I SO wanted to move my foot over to the gas pedal and ram him out of the way. (She was driving)

I didnt realize there was a monthly fee for EZ Pass. If so go to riverlink and sign up there, and upgrade from a river tag (free) to an EZ Pass transponder. ($20) I pay no annual fees for my EZ Pass through my Riverlink account. Only thing I dont like is I had to fund it with a minimum of $20. Probably 2 years worth of bridge crossings for me in a typical year. You have to maintain a balance as they dont bill your card for each crossing.

He's also not a very good mayor. No accountability, only shows up in public for photo ops and doesnt talk to the media unless he is forced to. (doesnt typically do interviews)

I have two points:

1) Sherman Minton
    2) 2nd Street

**** $4 and change to cross a ****ing bridge each way without a transponder, or $2 and change to cross with. And double **** the historical society for necessitating that ***damn tunnel and **** the extra few hundred million $ that one old ass **********’s former home cost the Ohio bridges project. :xmad:

I’d cross the Kennedy for a buck and a quarter. For two bucks I’ll take the half hour to cross 2nd street when I need to cross there in rush hour. Otherwise, thankfully, I’m to/from West, and Sherman Minton is free to cross.

Top Bottom