• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I've heard of the Berkey. Lots of survival guys have them on their lists of stuff you need. With many of them carrying the smallest berkey in their BOB's. Never even thought about needing a grain mill.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I've got a Big Berkey. It rocks. We have it for disaster preparedness, but we use it every day because the water from our tap tastes like crap, and this thing takes care of it.

They are not cheap, but they filter ALL the nasty stuff... and if I ever really need it I'll be very glad I've got it.

EDIT: And Yeager is right, if you only use 2 filters in it the water goes through really slow. I'm going to upgrade to 4 filter elements.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Not a fan of the Berkey company, they don't stand by their product. They have had quite a few defective filters go out in the past few years and luckily they will exchange them if you perform a non conclusive test(I ran this test when I first put my filter together and later the filters failed) on them and pay a fee.

You pay a premium price and people are betting their lives on them; but you definitely aren't always getting what you paid for.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    A grain mill is definitely a must have for any plan beyond the first two weeks.

As was noted in a post above, I am the vendor that will be at the Indy 1500 this weekend, and I will have the Country Living Grain Mill, the Wondermill Jr., The Family Grain Mill and the Victorio mills on display. You can try them all out and see how they work. We will be offering an INGO discount if you let us know your username.

I and another long time INGO :ingo: member are the owners and we will both be there, but we aren't an INGO advertiser (yet) so I want to be respectful of Mike and his site and leave it at that.

-Brian

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's also a good idea to have a spare parts kit for your Country Living mill. If you're using it regularly for a family, parts will wear out; not the least of which are the burrs.

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    We have the Royal Berkey and LOVE it! We have had it about a year and use it daily. It is portable if need be. They will have them on display at the 1500, but we bought ours through another company. The filters need to be replaced after about 5000 gallons, so you should stock extras.
    We also have an electric grain mill. I have looked into the Country Living Mill. I just can't justify the cost at the moment since mine works fine. Again, it's electric, so in a SHTF scenario, it would need a power source to be useful. In my opinion, both are great items to invest in if you will use them.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Not a fan of the Berkey company, they don't stand by their product. They have had quite a few defective filters go out in the past few years and luckily they will exchange them if you perform a non conclusive test(I ran this test when I first put my filter together and later the filters failed) on them and pay a fee.

You pay a premium price and people are betting their lives on them; but you definitely aren't always getting what you paid for.

What brand do you prefer for these types of water filters?

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    I have to make a correction. We actually have the crown Berkey. It's the big one. We only have 2 filters in use right now and it is sufficient for our clan of 6. We fill it every evening and it is our source for drinking water daily.
    I did play with the Country Living Mill at the 1500 this weekend. It is a nice piece of machinery. I may have to put that on my wishlist. It was much easier to crank by hand than I thought it would be.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    I'm curious how many GPH it puts out. Assuming 50 gallons per day(24hrs) like it claims, that's no better than the travel Berkey only with a larger holding capacity. Plus, the travel Berkey could do more GPH with two filters than the Doulton LP-5 with 5. I definitely want to know more as I like the Doulton better for a few reasons, but if it's no better than the travel Berkey, I may choose the Berkey instead.

Top Bottom