James Yeager - Emergency Water Filtration - Berkey!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Definately do some research before buying a Berkey. I had a Burkey Light I bought about 4 years ago. It was awesome and we kept it in the kitchen and used it every day. It made our city water taste so much better we didn't even mind drinking it at room temperature. I definately drank more water during that time.
    The following year I bought one of the smaller stainless ones. I forget what model. Soon after buying that one I had both of the black filters fail. I'm sure a google search will give anybody pages and pages of reading. Some people say that Berkey has corrected the problem they were having but others say that even the new filters have failed them.
    The scary thing is that many people buy these and tuck them away for bad times without knowing if they have working filters or not. Also, one would not know the filter is letting bad water through unless they have payed attention to the flow rate when they are working correctly.
    I'd like to but new filters and begin using my Berkey again but right now I just do not trust them. My original filters still work as far as filtering out the nasties but the carbon no longer filters out chemical/bad taste. This is normal though and to be expected. In an emergency they would still give us safe water. Right now though we just want them for the improved taste. So for now it's back to the Brita pitcher.

Last edited:

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Thanks for the post about ProPur systems. It's the first I've heard of them. We have a Berkey and noticed that ProPur sells replacement filters that will fit Berkey systems. We're real happy with the Berkey, but may look into using ProPur filters when it's time for replacement.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Thanks for the post about ProPur systems. It's the first I've heard of them. We have a Berkey and noticed that ProPur sells replacement filters that will fit Berkey systems. We're real happy with the Berkey, but may look into using ProPur filters when it's time for replacement.

Propur is Alex Jones endorsed:tinfoil:

The Berkey is nice for me but regardless if you get the Propur or Berkey it has the same principles. I recommend a buyer do a little reading first and decide what size and brand suits them best. There are plans for a "cheap" Berkey out there where you use a five gallon bucket with the filters. I like my Berkey but it is just used here at home and has never been taken in the field.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    The Berkey filters that they were having problems with were the black filters (they would leak at the base due to improper gluing). I have stuck with buying the "old fashioned" white filters that were good enough for decades for most people until the Doulton/Berkey company decided that the people needed something new (and more expensive).

The white filters have not had any reported problems, at least I haven't read of any.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Yes. My understanding is that the white filters are tried and true and will take out the nasties. The black ones have the carbon though which can take out chemicals and makes the water taste so much better (when they work properly).

Now we just use a PUR pitcher at home and have a couple Sawyer filters I use backpacking. I forget the name of the model but I bought the Sawyer filters that come with the bucket adapter kit. I believe I paid about $70 at REI for each one. I can use them with the buckets I get free at Marsh and have a filter guaranteed for 1 million gallons. Buy a bag of pool shock and one Sawyer and you'll probably be able to treat more water than you could drink in your lifetime.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We have a Royal Berkey that has worked very well over the last three years or so. We also have extra filters stashed as well as two food grade 55 gal drum that can outfit for large capacity if needed in the future.

Top Bottom