• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I disagree. In the world of science, "trash talking" is called peer review, and the firearms training industry is in desperate need of it. In our 10+ years of war, it's seems as tho every "gun guy" with a fresh DD-214 is throwing down the money to register a LLC "back home" with some operator speak sounding name, rehashing a bunch of stuff he seen other guys do on youtube or buying into someone else's pyramid bid'ness of certifying instructors, and taking people's money.

Please, cry "free country",I can see it coming.
    I Largely agree with this.

I don't however agree with assimilating "trash talking" to peer review. Peer review would imply a productive measure of assessment whereas "trash talking" only invokes emotional based response from recipients. Especially from persons with larger than normal egos, which lets face it most gun owners, particularly those who focus on defensive use of firearms will have relative to that of an average sheeple. In other words, a "professional" is likely to not take the "trash talk" seriously enough to recognize areas of improvement for themselves and address them because by nature they/we (as gun owners) tend to have relatively inflated egos. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, it's just that it doesn't provide grounds for the recipient to improve themselves like an actual peer review would. So it's inherently not productive for the firearms and training community because one must be willing to change their ways and recognize their own faults. Attributes which aren't easily recognized in this demographic of people. The recent OC/CC thread derailment involving RP is an excellent example of this with his quite obviously emotionally driven, retaliatory responses to his critics.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The only think I will add, is I think it is poor taste for one trainer or training company to trash talk another. If you think you produce a quality program, let that stand on it's own merits. No need to try to degrade the "competition". It comes off as unprofessional.

Remember, we are like the same things, and want the same results.

:)

I am not sure that I am up on this whole thread at this point. I mentioned beating Cory at a match. He did not like it. I never said he sucked or was a bad shooter. I never said I was great. I won the day. That is a fact. If this is what you mean by trash talking I think you are incorrect.
    if you do to a competition winning and losing is part of it.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I would love to see more trainers actually shooting matches but when certain trainers don't even do live fire demos for students, just seeing a yard lines, target zone and shot timers on video is better then nothing.

There is a large group of people who hold this type of belief. You will find plenty of LEO's and civilians who have been told competition is bad and believe it. Some cite the lack of tactics and others the specialized equipment. The underlying thing that I have seen is that these folks see themselves as "serious" people and competition shooters as "gamers" who are not serious. No matter how good the competition shooter is he cannot be seen as "serious" because he plays a game; he must be discounted and rejected. The most vocal of this crowd is the trainer who wants to teach them. This group is much larger than all the competitive shooters combined so there is a lot of MONEY to be made catering to them. That is why the debate rages on and the belief that competition is bad is promoted and protected. Just follow the money to find a school near you to be taught the evils of comp!
    Keith Garcia

Just a shooting rant here: All mental stuff aside, I have met many people in the defensive shooting realm who I think over analyze tactics (mostly bad shooters who i think are trying to make up for their shooting). Now I'm not GI Joe but I have studied the details of many gunfights and I believe (again all mental stuff aside.....which is THEE most important) that most of the time the victor was the guy who was just faster, more accurate and flat out better with a gun. Now don't get me wrong I am all about tactics and I've got some back ground in them. I just think because of the fact they are much less black and white (where good shooting is not) many people decide to focus too much on them and in turn less on being more skillful with their weapon.
    -Bob Vogel

Both LEO with SWAT experience, both national/world champions in practical shooting.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I am not sure that I am up on this whole thread at this point. I mentioned beating Cory at a match. He did not like it. I never said he sucked or was a bad shooter. I never said I was great. I won the day. That is a fact. If this is what you mean by trash talking I think you are incorrect.
    if you do to a competition winning and losing is part of it.

That wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the reason this thread was started. To bash on James Yeager.

My comments stand. If you think you run a good training program, let that stand on it's own merits. No need to constantly bash Tactical Response.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    That wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the reason this thread was started. To bash on James Yeager.

You MUST be joking. Or very new here. No, not all that new, so joking or working in an enclosed space with too much white-out. This thread was started by *esrice*...

Top Bottom