• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I just sent a message through his web sight commending him for standing by his principles, but also asking him why he would accept a job at a venue that made the customers disarm before entering.

I know some musicians that have to ask where they are when they step off the bus to perform.
    They have some grueling tours and days and cities all run together.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Is your complaint with the venue, the artist, or both? :dunno:

I've never seen him live, so I can't speak to that, but I like his music.

I like his music too, which is why it made it even more depressing.

So I've only lived in Indy for a year and some change now, and I've seen both Aaron Lewis and Jamey Johnson (different nights) at 8-second saloon. Both of them were terrible. Both are artists I've listened to for years and generally regard fairly highly. As a matter of fact, at both concerts, there were 6 of us that walked out.

Up til these two events, I've never seen a bad live music performance. I've even been to a rap concert or two and they were OK.

Not sure if I caught them on just ****ty nights, or what. But I know I won't go back to see either artist at 8-second saloon.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I saw Jamey at 8 second saloon 5-6 years ago. It was awesome. He sounded ok. The venue SUCKS, if you're needing a clean large well lit establishment with top notch sound equipment to enjoy a night out and watch someone perform, then 8 second is definitely not the place to go.

I've been to many many rock/metal shows and that Jamey show at 8 second was by far the rowdiest and craziest show I've been to. Fights left and right, chicks riding mechanical bulls while Jamey plays on stage. EMT showing up at least twice to help/carry people out that were injured in fights.

All the place needed was a large chain link fence in front of the stage and Mr Swayzee woopin' some butt in the back ground and it'd been like the movie Roadhouse! Loved it. By far one of my all time favorite shows I've seen.

As far as his stand on the venue and canceling show... I was proud of him to take a stand but disappointed as well on behalf of his fans that no doubt were amped up for a great show that had to disarm to get in, and no doubt many did exactly that. In the end it's a "free country" and all parties chose what they chose.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just sent a message through his web sight commending him for standing by his principles, but also asking him why he would accept a job at a venue that made the customers disarm before entering.

Maybe he figures people can make their own decisions on if it's worth it to attend, just like he did.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN

His management/booking agent should have known about this long before the concert. I think it's a weak move to force the cancellation of a show AFTER fans spent time, gas, babysitting money, and maybe hotel, etc...

But it's also a weak move on the venue to not inform the band/crew/etc long before.

Of course, no one reads contracts, do they?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    His management/booking agent should have known about this long before the concert. I think it's a weak move to force the cancellation of a show AFTER fans spent time, gas, babysitting money, and maybe hotel, etc...

But it's also a weak move on the venue to not inform the band/crew/etc long before.

Of course, no one reads contracts, do they?

Actually these are all new security measures just recently implemented and I don't believe they informed people of the changes other than the employees at least that is the way the email I received made it sound. Had a lot to do with the concert incident in London.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Not for the customers. It's always been there for them maybe a bit more stringent now but not really anything different than what has been going on for the consumers. . But it changed for the musicians and entourage of people they bring to their shows.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not for the customers. It's always been there for them maybe a bit more stringent now but not really anything different than what has been going on for the consumers. . But it changed for the musicians and entourage of people they bring to their shows.

Ah! Thank you for the clarification!

Well, yet another reason to not go there.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I find the idea of putting a metal detector backstage for the talent hilarious. Did they metal-detect all the crew working the show? guarantee every one had a multitool, knife (or both), most had a wrench, riggers had very tactical looking bags not to mention a semi full of stage gear that I doubt was checked. You think they checked each member of the crew (local and roadie) each time they left/re-entered for meals and smoke breaks?

idiots on his FB page are accusing him of not playing/not being allowed to play because he was drunk. SMH.

Having worked dozens of shows and seen the condition various artists have been in, that excuse is laughable.

This has been a live nation rule for a long time. Clearly he was OK with booking the show knowing his audience would be disarmed. But when HE was told he had to disarm, that was the final straw.

correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we despise double standards and different rules for different people?

see below:

Maybe he figures people can make their own decisions on if it's worth it to attend, just like he did.

Tour Manager books the gigs. Talent just has to show up in a state to give the show.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Charlie Waffles is about to go on stage, loaded to the gills.
    Alan Harper: Aren't you concerned that he's drunk?
    Manager: He's a musician. I'd be concerned if he wasn't.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm just now catching wind of this. I think I may jump on his website and try and grab a t-shirt or something to support him.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Tour Manager books the gigs. Talent just has to show up in a state to give the show.

so you're saying he would play a white supremist venue, or a black panther rally?

Seems to me the tour manager works for the talent, is that incorrect? Aren't riders written at the request of the artist? :dunno:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Actually these are all new security measures just recently implemented and I don't believe they informed people of the changes other than the employees at least that is the way the email I received made it sound. Had a lot to do with the concert incident in London.

Makes sense. Ban guns for the performer and his team because a terrorist attack happened in another country...even though that performer or their team didn't do any attacking.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    so you're saying he would play a white supremist venue, or a black panther rally?

Seems to me the tour manager works for the talent, is that incorrect? Aren't riders written at the request of the artist? :dunno:

I couldn't say where he would or wouldn't play. I had to google him just now to even find what genre he plays. My expectation is that he'd have the same freedom of judgement as to whether or not he'd like to play at such a venue.

Who works for whom is a murkey conversation. I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer organizational questions but I'll share what I know until someone else chimes in that knows more.. usually, they all contract with the production company but there's no set rule. The world of theatre is very loose and not overly well regulated or uniform and one show might be set up very differently than another and different levels of production will be vastly different.

Riders might be written at the request of the talent but who knows what condition the talent was in when making the requests. Some talent have reasonable down to earth stuff in there, some are nuts. AFAIK that arrangement's made between the talent's agent and the tour manager, the talent them self usually being too busy making art to be bothered with reading long contracts much less the allowable items on one's person for entry at every venue on the tour. Then there's what someone posted above about it being a new policy, if it was enacted after leaving on the tour how do you handle it? Are you telling me you read every page of the EULA on every piece of software that came preloaded on your computer?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not sure on signs in SC. But live nation handled the concert in France where so many were slaughtered and after that their company declared all venues would have metal detectors and no weapons. I was scanned at a Christian concert at the Murat last year

I'm sure he's a great artist, but seems to have subjective views on when being disarmed is a problem

The way Christians have been running around blowing up school buses and beheading people that don't think the same way they do here lately I can only thank live nation for taking this stand.

Wait.

What?

Top Bottom