• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    My son and I went today and I can honestly say I should have just went to a gun shop and saved a bunch of walking. Overcrowded is an understaement to say the least. It's been a year since I went to the 1500 and I know why now. I think I will just do the local shows from now on and skip this waste of time and money.

+1 on that.
    I also went on Friday. When the doors opened, the line was at least two city blocks long. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular. I didn't see a single good deal on anything that beat some of our local gun shops like Dave's in Holland, IN and Whittaker's near Owensboro, KY. I look at the Indy 1500 as something to do if I'm in the area and I'm bored but I haven't found a good deal on a gun there in many, many years. I hope others have had better luck than me.
    The only thing I bought was some of those cinnamon pecans. As I was walking out, I talked with several other guys and that was all they had bought too. It's kinda' sad to go to a gun show with money in your pocket and not find anything to spend it on.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    I found some stuff to buy

OK, I wasn't looking for firearms this trip. I did want to buy some cleaning supplies. I found a dealer that had everything Dewey. So that saved me an online purchase and I got exactly what I needed. I doubt that I saved any money, but I’ve got what I was looking for and I’m happy. I've never found the Dewey accessories locally.

I also bought a pair of gloves for $5.00. Brings back memories of when my uncle gave me a pair just like them a long time ago. I even got to keep them and I wore them out. I may never wear these, as there are better options now. But it brings back memories of when I was young!

I was looking at a Rock River lower, or the Entry tactical complete. Decent price on either of those. I'm sure Beech Grove Firearms would be the same price though. I don't have an AR and decided I don't want an AR right now or otherwise.... Well I was tempted… Seems like the $14.00 it takes to get in the door is a lot like drinking alcohol. It certainly messes with your judgment!

What I didn't find was a spotting scope stand designed for competition shooting (not a tripod). That's what I really wanted to pick up. I saw them up at Camp Perry, and didn't get one. Probably because they cost more than my scope does. If I knew how to weld and had the equipment I'd make one myself. That was probably the real reason I went yesterday.

I did get the $2.00 cup of coffee (felt like I was at starbucks) and was going to buy some of the gun show crack, but at $10.00 a bag for roasted almonds, I decided it was just time to leave. I left before noon and there was a line that I would have never waited in! It will probably be a couple of years before I go again, but it appears to me they need
    A) More shows
    B) A bigger building
    C) A reality check on prices
    Or a decent competitor!
    I did get the $2.00 cup of coffee (felt like i was at starbucks) and was going to buy some of the gunshow crack, but at $10.00 a bag for roasted almonds I deceided it was just time to leave.

arsenal69

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    NO! not in my opinion the prices have gone up a great deal on everything. you might find a good deal on a gun from a individual walking around trying to sell there personal stuff but thats about it.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I saw a guy walking around with a SA M1 Garand with a sign on it saying $700. I didn't get to look at it but that beats most anywhere (except the CMP of course).

Raven had a discount box out of which I got a 4 (2 on top of 2) ar15 mag pouch for $10, and a double pistol mag pouch for &5. Both were new and the exact style I was looking for.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The deal to be had at the show is the ability to handle most anything you are interested in while munching malted milk balls. My sons and I always go, but rarely buy a gun there. As mentioned above, the gun show is a lot like the car show, except you can take a gun home from the show and they really frown on taking the cars home from the car show.

What you get at the gun show is a decent selection of stuff that normally does not show up at the local dealers. For instance, if you were looking for a Colt 1903, there were several at the show, but I've never seen more than one at any LGS, and that one is a rare appearance. There were a bunch of Swedish Mausers available at the show and at reasonable prices too. I was able to handle several SAR K2s and a Witness in 10mm there, but have never seen either at any of our local dealers. Our local dealers can get those if you order one, but I am reluctant to order what I've never held. The gun show lets me handle one, then head out to PSS or Bradis and order one if I like it.

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Found some good deals on ammo I have to looking for for awhile. 38 S&W and 7.5X55. Walked through the entire show and compared prices and then with only about a half hour left till they closed shop I worked the deals and came out with a couple great buys. And I couldn't walk away without picking up a INGO "Beer" mug and t-shirt. It did seem like there were alot better prices on the guns overall this show too, although there were quite a few tables with ridiculous prices.

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    I went to the show looking for 2 guns. A autloader shotgun & a FNP-9 handgun. I did not see any great deals on autoloader shotguns, but I did find a deal on the FNP-9. First I will state that I went to all of my local gun stores & could not find the FNP-9 since it has recently been replaced by the FNX-9. I was able to pick up the 2 tone model for almost $75 less than the best price that I found online.

So I would say yes good deals can be found, but you have to know what you are looking for & you have to have patients to find it. The biggest thing about the gun show is not find great deals, but being able to see and handle a large variety of guns & accessories under one roof.

Theslab1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Lafayette
    Best "deal" I ever purchased at the 1500 was from an individual standing behind me.

Love to check out mil surplus, odds and ends, ammo, roasted almonds, and potentially get a feel of a firearm I have not held before.

diavic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I think people’s expectations of the show are way too high. It seems people expect the vendors to be giving away stuff. I do not know why anyone one would expect the prices to be any different than a local shop. The best part of the show is the selection, there is almost any type of gun you can think of there. There are deals out there if you know what you are looking for. I always have a great time and will continue to go.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Like others have said, there are deals to be had if you look hard and do your homework. ZX guns seems to always have great prices, and some folks walking around tend to have great buys on things too. You can't just expect to walk in and be handed something for half price though, which is what I feel some folks expect when I see complaints being made. I didn't see any great buys at the show, but I wasn't looking for anything in particular to know. The show before this one I found a new LCP for $275 though. That was about $30-$40 cheaper than any other place.

Yesterday, after the show, I went to a Blockbuster store closing sale and bought the entire series of Band of Brothers on DVD for $12. That was my deal of the day!

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    For a newbie in the handgun market it was perfect for me. Every type of gun for me to put my hands on and price check. Should have spent more time price-checking ammo for my .22lr, but maybe next time.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One of these days I'll get smart and never buy anything from the 1500. Was looking for a simple LED flashlight that focused. Not having researched anything but surefire's stuff I didn't realize that the market has become flooded with cheap Chinese stuff too. As it is I did enjoy being able to play with all of the various lights and I'm not unhappy with the purchase, but still could have saved some $$ simply purchasing from Amazon.

ngroark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Greensburg
    If you have money and you have time you can find reasonable prices and if you REALLY have the money and the time even the elusive "deal" can be found. If you don't have the money or the time it is still a great place to go to compare prices between the various shops, to find new products that you can't live without (that will have to go on your wishlist haha), to establish business relations, and most of all to meet new folks.

skreuzman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Like everyone else has said, its more about the experience than actually finding a "deal". The best thing about the show is if you are looking for a "hard to find" part or rare firearm, it is probably there. You may spend 4 hours looking for a $5 part but if noone else has it, it just might be worth it. I saw some nice deals, but not on the specific guns I was looking for. I was surprised at the reluctancy from most vendors toward trade deals. I had a 12 ga semi-auto that I was looking to trade for a used .17HMR and actually brought it back home with me. I only found a few .17's and was really surprised about that. Last year they seemed to be everywhere. Overall, even though it was EXTREMELY crowded, I still had a good time and it was a fun way to spend my Sunday.

Top Bottom