• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    It's been about 15 years since I have been to JP. Is it still the same? I went to Kingsberry a couple years back and it was way different then back in the day. Is JP still drive up and unload right there all out in the open or is it similar to Kingsberry? I could not find a recent post about this. I am looking to shoot my AR and would like to use the shorter ranges for it, last time I went to Kingsberry the RO would not let me shoot it at the pistol range ( 25 yard and less) . Any help would be great, looking to go shooting with some co-workers on Sunday. Both about the same drive time. Clays, Pistol, Rifle, is what we are going to be shooting. I'm guessing you can't just blow up **** like back in the day so paper only at JP too?

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    back up and unload, paper targets on the chicken wire back stops (they have clothes pins) I also bring duct tape. ar shouldnt be a prob at the 25yrd. Make sure u sign in.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    AR on 25 range is good. Do NOT rapid fire, or they will be warning you. It is a no no.

Other than that, you have to register at the main entrance then go to range.

Also just watch for people going downrange to change targets while you are firing. Happens every time I go!! Have to love that. Have had to get the range master several times because people go full on nuts when you call them out on it. The last time it happened the guy made such a stink they made him leave. Thought it was ok to walk down because he was two benches over from us!!!!

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Just be sure to get there early on Sunday. If the weather is decent it will probably be packed with guys doing their last minute sighting in/zeroing before firearms season starts up.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I quit going there on weekends. Way too many Rambos and weekend warriors. Not a bad range, closed on Mon, and Tues. Also they re on EST so a hour ahead if from the west.
    Thought range closed like 4:00pm(EST). Unload and go is cool, and do watch out for the "Walking Dead" to change their targets! Good luck.

add: Just drove past today. Looks like a busy day as vehicles had most of the front spaces filled. Also they replaced wooden shooting benches as many were falling apart. Did sign in, but really just drove past. Went to recon a hunting area used before, lots of water, and mud looks sticky, saw a couple of bow hunters leaving and were muddied to their knee caps. Pass. Weather is changing, and a freeze makes it easier to go out there.

Last edited:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Very cool. Sounds way better then Kingsbury. Yeah Sunday scares me a little just because of the crazies. Maybe just hit Blythes Sunday and hit JP on Wednesday morning instead. Thanks for the info. Chicken wire??? lol thats a new one.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Very cool. Sounds way better then Kingsbury. Yeah Sunday scares me a little just because of the crazies. Maybe just hit Blythes Sunday and hit JP on Wednesday morning instead. Thanks for the info. Chicken wire??? lol thats a new one.

Yes...chicken wire and clothes pins. Actually works pretty well. Some of the guys staple targets to cardboard, then use clothes pins to secure cardboard to wire. Seems to work well. Yes it may be busy due to sighting in for deer season.

Anthony White

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    Yonkers
    Hey Buddy, what ever did yall do with the radio shack camera? I have the same one laying around broken. It worked great until it broke last year. Had it 9 years strong.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Never go there on weekends. Agreed a lot of Ill plates. Went one afternoon last week, they are hour ahead on half the preserve, CDT on other half. Closes at 4:00.
    Was a slow day, not too many there.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    It's definitely slower on weekdays than weekends.

The RM is pretty laid back, but he's covering all of the ranges so that does mean you'll need to keep your SA going to make sure there aren't any douchebags chambering rounds while you're downrange.

It and Winamac are some (only?) of the few places near NWI where you can shoot 200yds.

Top Bottom