• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I saw an article about him having a medical emergency related to a fire in one of his cars from his collection. Scary...I hope he is okay.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Oof! I had a fuel line burst and spray my face in auto shop back in high school, but thankfully it didn’t ignite. Scared the crap out of me though. I hope he has a speedy recovery, burns suck!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ouch. Not sure exactly how the steam car system works but anything working with pressurized gasoline fuel systems can potentially rupture and ignite. Thats why you keep the car and the garage stocked with extinguishers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is when everything goes well, but it gives an idea of the issue.

Look at 3:10 of this video:

Also, start at about 4:30 here:

I know there's a video of a small explosion while lighting from years ago somewhere. I will post when I find it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have looked and looked and others have mentioned the video, but I have not found it.

Years ago, there was a Jay Leno's Garage video of him starting, I think, a Stanley Steamer (but it could have been one of his other steam cars). When he went to put the flame to it, it flared up and there was a big ball of flame that singed his hair, but that was it.

These things use gasoline to boil the water. They pressurize the gas tank with air, in one instance, I saw over 120 psi. This pushes the gasoline from the tank up to the boiler, then the gasoline is atomized for burning.

You can see how this could go bad easily. Jay jokes about this exact thing in several of his steam car videos.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    These things use gasoline to boil the water. They pressurize the gas tank with air, in one instance, I saw over 120 psi. This pushes the gasoline from the tank up to the boiler, then the gasoline is atomized for burning.
    Mechanical low pressure fuel pumps are for plebes! Real men pressurize the fuel tank so 100% of the fuel will violently exit through any breach in the system regardless of whether the system is powered on or not!

That's nuts. And I thought high pressure booster systems for direct injection were sketchy.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    This is when everything goes well, but it gives an idea of the issue.

Look at 3:10 of this video:

Also, start at about 4:30 here:

I know there's a video of a small explosion while lighting from years ago somewhere. I will post when I find it.

Ok so here’s a cool thing, Dennis Gage (the guy with the handle bar mustache) lives (or at least used too) in boonville Indiana and the voice over guy from “Hemings my classic car” was Brian Jackson a dj from a radio station in Owensboro, and the production company was here in Evansville!

I watched jay leno talking about his “steamers” and them being a vehicle where you could die from the car crash, burning to death, steamed to death or drowning!

I think he’s probably one of the only truly famous people I’d like to meet, he seems like a true down to earth celebrity who would be genuine, honest, and carry a great conversation!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    From what his doctor said, I got that Jay wants to let people know how he's doing.
    I get that too. I saw the press conference. Just saying that there are unscrupulous people that would possibly do something like that. Not saying there were, just hoping that was not the case.

Top Bottom