• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I read in this book "Black Magic" there is a trick to bedding the receiver on your AR using JB weld.The book describes puting JB weld on the upper receiver then coating the bottom with wax so it doesn't stick when it hardens. After it hardens, a little trimming and its done. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and it actually worked.:dunno:

(Yes I know about the accu wedge, im just curious :rolleyes:)

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    i've thought about doing it to a cheap 22 with Billy Mays green stuff, but wouldn't try that WECSOG trick on anything worth over $100

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It works for eliminating the slop between the upper and lower receivers. It was used about 10 years ago before receiver matching became common.

It really doesn't have too much effect on the accuracy of the rifle when you are slung up in position. The tension of the sling locks everything in place.

I spoke with the writer of that book at the Nationals after he got back after his second (third?) tour in Iraq. I don't think he recommends JB weld anymore. not worth the trouble.

It won't really hurt anything though if you do it according the book. The Army Marksmanship unit did it for a while and didn't have any malfunctions that could be traced back to it.

Having the top and bottom locked together makes folks feel better...

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I can think of a lot of things one might want to put on an AR.......and JB Weld isn't one of them. But thats just my opinion.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    this is actually still a common practice.... tactical innovations sells a stripped lower with an adjustable plastic pad tipped screw that adjusts the tenstion and i am of the beliefe that is DOES help.... try this.... 3 targets... first round on one and last round on another... all other shots on the middle target. you WILL see distinct groupings that are differant... this is because the round is seated differantly on the first and middle, and the bolt locking back on the last shot changed the POI.... while the differance MAY be nominal and maybe imeasureable if you are milking a gun for every bit of accuracy and consistancy this is an option... OP, i can "bed" your ar for 50 bucks including cost of materials.... turn around could be as little as 1 week.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Let me add that there are MANY other options for improving accuracy before tight lock up is a concern... in order according to my opinion

quality barrel
    free float
    target trigger
    improved sighting system

only after all of those have been looked at and are in tip top shape can you detect incredibly subtle differances in POI due to reciever sloppiness... i have experimented with this a little bit but not enough to make any factual assumptions....

Top Bottom