• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    I have a question for you car guys. My jeep makes a grinding noise when i try starting it up. It will do that about 3-4 times before it will finally start.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    What is the question?

I imagine the starter is going out, but I do not have a jeep; nor am I a mechanic. I have had to beat on a starter to keep from being stranded once or twice.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    sounds like missing teeth on the flywheel. this will get worse until it won't start, when that happens turn it a little using the fan belt until you get to a good part of the flywheel. Do not do this with the key ON.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Teeth on the starter aren't meshing with the teeth on the flywheel. IT sometimes happens when you replace a starter.
    OR...since you just replaced the starter it possibly could be coming loose. Make sure you've got it bolted down straight and secure.

Glock4life

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Elkhart, IN
    Cesna250, dont know if it is to late to help, i hope you have got it figured out by now, but if not i might be able to help. i have a 87 that had the same problem(loud noise when cranking). My jeep has the automatic in it. it turned out to be the flywheel from my jeep was actually the same one as a 86 cj. The flywheel was put in from the factory. i changed it with the same type and my noise went away. i do know that the 87 had the solenoid located on the fire walls and in 88 they went to the solenoid on the starter design. i hope this helps. my noise was from the damaged flywheel. when i bought the flywheel they actually sold me the one for an 87 not the cj. this was the wrong one. when i put it back together i had the same loud cracking noise. i took it out and put the 86 flywheel in and everything was fine. In saying that i am thinking that your noise is coming from a wrong flywheel/starter combination.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Cesna250, dont know if it is to late to help, i hope you have got it figured out by now, but if not i might be able to help. i have a 87 that had the same problem(loud noise when cranking). My jeep has the automatic in it. it turned out to be the flywheel from my jeep was actually the same one as a 86 cj. The flywheel was put in from the factory. i changed it with the same type and my noise went away. i do know that the 87 had the solenoid located on the fire walls and in 88 they went to the solenoid on the starter design. i hope this helps. my noise was from the damaged flywheel. when i bought the flywheel they actually sold me the one for an 87 not the cj. this was the wrong one. when i put it back together i had the same loud cracking noise. i took it out and put the 86 flywheel in and everything was fine. In saying that i am thinking that your noise is coming from a wrong flywheel/starter combination.

You are exactly right. I had it checked out today and its the flywheel. It wont be a cheap job but i'll probably get it done next week. Thanks for your advice everybody!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    You are exactly right. I had it checked out today and its the flywheel. It wont be a cheap job but i'll probably get it done next week. Thanks for your advice everybody!

Seperating the engine and trans SUCKED on my 02 Grand Cherokee.... I kept my old flywheel off the old engine, just in case...

Sucks about the expensive repair, but it could have been worse.

Top Bottom