• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So by your logic higher capacity is the way to go. That knocks out 1911's, revolvers, and the small pistols.

Antique designs are fun, but I don't care for them as defensive tools. As far as capacity, my lowest capacity carry gun is a Shield 45, which I only carry occasionally. Eight rounds of .45 and an extra mag in my pocket is probably sufficient for the fairly tame areas that I frequent. But I do find myself more often carrying my M&P Compact 2.0 in 9mm, with its 16 round capacity and Underwood 147 grain +P Gold Dots, with a spare mag in my pocket. Never heard of anyone wishing for less ammo if they wind up needing a gun.

As far as small pistols go, my pocket gun is a P365 with 13 rounds of 9mm +P on board. So no, it doesn't knock out that small pistol.

If the 9mm has improved then it stands to reason so have 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

No. Look at some FBI ballistic testing sometime. 9mm and .40 trade are pretty evenly matched in penetration, barrier performance and expansion in the best defensive loads. There is only so much you can do within the limitations of the energy available in the most common service caliber weapons, and the 9mm and .40 aren't different enough in size, weight and velocity to amount to much.

With regards to expansion, the .45 is an actual improvement, especially with the HST loads. When I'm in the mood to carry .45 in cooler weather, I find myself going with my M&P Compact 2.0 .45 more often than the Shield. I like the Compact's 11 round capacity. My home defense pistol is an XD45 Mod 2 Tactical with 14 rounds of HST on tap. I like .45 ACP. No reason to mess with .40 caliber. If you're gonna carry a bigger bullet, carry a bigger bullet. :)

I have also found that self defense 9mm is not a lot cheaper than the self defense ammo for 40 and 45 and 357 Sig self defense ammo can be found for less than $.50 a round ( I have bought some this year from Bud's).

Depends on what you are buying. For me, it's HST or Gold Dots, and 9mm is typically at least a couple dollars cheaper than .40 or .45. But my life is worth more than $.50 a round, so I don't worry about the cost of defensive ammo. Where 9mm really saves you money is in the price of practice ammo, and practice is important. I can buy Winchester 9mm NATO 124 grain, which is a +P round, and approximate the recoil and feel of my defensive ammo. The stuff is typically about $9.50 a box or so.

There is no magic caliber just like there is no magic gun, buy the platform and ammo you shoot best and spend the time and money with it.

Yep. And despite fervent denials, most people would be able to shoot the 9mm faster and more accurately than the same gun in .40. All the while spending more time practicing and less money doing it.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Route 45, in the end the caliber does not matter, it's what you are willing to do, can do with it, and the firearm you use. It would be very rare for a little gun to outperform a full sized or compact gun. When I first started carrying I carried a 44spl, a better round than any mentioned above, but doing threat assessment realized 5 rounds against more than one was not enough. Handguns are all about compromise in one fashion or another. It's the performance of the person behind the handgun that matters most. I am at the age and place where new guns and calibers are not in the picture, it's more about proficiency with what I now have.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Cost of the guns themselves no, every caliber blue label price is the same. Cost of ammo is definitely a contributing factor. That and the vast majority of people, cops included, shoot 9mm better than .40. Most cops don’t do any more training than what is mandated by the department and the state, anything to increase those hit percentages is a good thing. Lower cost, same if not better ballistics more pews in the mag and better shootability is why.

The police aren't trading in those guns because they're broke. They're trading them in because they've decided to follow a different fad.

Whenever the police or military does something, the public follows like lemmings. If the police adopted .357 SIG, you wouldn't be able to get one for a while.

People are sheep. Especially when it comes to guns.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are a couple of advantages of .40, but they are both cancelled out if you just stock enough ammo to not worry about it.

One is that some .40 pistols can be converted to 9mm with an aftermarket barrel swap and a magazine. Works just fine in Glocks and M&Ps in my experience.
    The other is that, judging from the last ammo "shortage," there may be .40 on the shelf when all of the 9mm and .45 has dried up.

Neither one of these matter much if you have thousands of rounds of 9mm in your stash, which is easier to accomplish with today's ammo prices of 9mm vs. 40.

Ballistically speaking, the best defensive/duty ammo in both calibers seem to perform about the same with regards to penetration and expansion. Some 9mm even outperforms .40 in the same brand in FBI testing.

Even if there was a slight ballistic advantage of the slightly larger .40 round, I don't think it's enough to warrant messing with stocking another caliber and losing the capacity in the same platform. A 9mm handgun with 2 rounds left in the magazine is ballistically superior to any .40 with the slide locked back on an empty chamber.

One of the biggest problems with 9mm is that it makes infrequent shooters think they are better than they really are. I’d wager that the bulk of non-LE 9mm shooters that carry hot +P ammo do most, if not all of their practice with WWB or similar lightly loaded target ammo. They run the gun and get decent hits with very little recoil or muzzle flip then load up their carry mags with the hottest stuff they can find, but can’t afford to actually shoot. Then, if they do find themselves needing to use the pistol, they suddenly feel all of that near-.40 recoil and throw bullets all over the place.

If they are not going to at least occasionally run hot 9mm, they should buy themselves some Hornady Critical Defense and run with what they know how to shoot.

.40 target ammo is a lot closer to .40 carry ammo and you get a better feel of the gun running closer to what you carry.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Down in southern Indiana you can't hardly give a .40 away. Most places won't even take them in on trade. It's good to know there is something out there less popular than top break Smith's...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    One of the biggest problems with 9mm is that it makes infrequent shooters think they are better than they really are. I’d wager that the bulk of non-LE 9mm shooters that carry hot +P ammo do most, if not all of their practice with WWB or similar lightly loaded target ammo. They run the gun and get decent hits with very little recoil or muzzle flip then load up their carry mags with the hottest stuff they can find, but can’t afford to actually shoot. Then, if they do find themselves needing to use the pistol, they suddenly feel all of that near-.40 recoil and throw bullets all over the place.

If they are not going to at least occasionally run hot 9mm, they should buy themselves some Hornady Critical Defense and run with what they know how to shoot.

.40 target ammo is a lot closer to .40 carry ammo and you get a better feel of the gun running closer to what you carry.

I agree, training is much more relevant when you do it with ammo that closely approximates your carry load. But I've never shot a 9mm that was obnoxious as a .40 in the same platform, no matter how hot the 9mm load. And I carry Underwood +P+ 147 grain ammo in one of my compacts. I even had a .357 Sig barrel for my Glock 23 way back when, and it was a lot smoother than .40 in the same gun. Something about .40 just feels off. Not "too much" recoil, just an obnoxious recoil impulse or something. Hard to put into words, really. It's not as noticeable in the M&P platform, but really noticeable in Glocks, at least to me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Misty put a bunch out, call her and ask, because I saw as new no box one mag $200, and with box $250, great condition Gen 2 I bet, Gen 3 with box too, BUT I WAS snatching the G-22 $ 11 mags, and two new $21 G-21 mags so since they had no PD roll marks on them I had to pass.
    I did ask if they were IMPD or ISP, and she said no.

i was in a hurry as it was about their closing time and f ing traffic to Fishers was already starting to suck that time of day.

Was the Gen 2 box so special that someone would willingly pay $50 more just to get one?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I agree, training is much more relevant when you do it with ammo that closely approximates your carry load. But I've never shot a 9mm that was obnoxious as a .40 in the same platform, no matter how hot the 9mm load. And I carry Underwood +P+ 147 grain ammo in one of my compacts. I even had a .357 Sig barrel for my Glock 23 way back when, and it was a lot smoother than .40 in the same gun. Something about .40 just feels off. Not "too much" recoil, just an obnoxious recoil impulse or something. Hard to put into words, really. It's not as noticeable in the M&P platform, but really noticeable in Glocks, at least to me.
    I agree with the 357 sig loads. Two of the last pistols I bought were Sig P229 and one came with a 357 Sig barrel, then I bought some 357 sig ammo that came with another 357 Sig barrel, then bought a 357 Sig barrel for one of my Glock 23s. I like the other calibers and have pistols for them (carry a Glock 30 with a HYVE +2 extension plus another magazine) but still enjoy the Glock 23s in 40. My favorite 9mm pistol is a S&W 459. The P229 in 357 Sig is more of a push than anything else.

I have some Legend Pro ammo with a Barnes like bullet. Seems to shoot fine but info on it seems lacking.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I agree with this. I got out of 40 several years back. Many years ago, I had started with 357 mag revolvers for carry, moved to 45 ACP. Tried some 1911's that were bubba'd and didn't run, so went to 45 ACP Glocks starting with a 21 and then also a 30. Traded out of those (largely because of gun size and that I had not found my preferred holster as yet) to 40 with Glock 23 & 27, and eventually just decided that the 40's recoil impulse was not something that I enjoyed nor was it conducive to me shooting very well, and moved on to 9mm with Glock 19/26/43. I've now gone over to the M&P Compact 2.0 9mm (and a Shield 2.0 I am vetting as well).

The .40 was just a very snappy round in the guns I had (especially in my 27) and not something I enjoyed shooting. A much different recoil impulse, and as you said bordering on obnoxious for me.

I'm sure in the right gun, it would not be an issue, but wasn't for me and I dumped out of it and all my ammo well before the bottom dropped out on pricing.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

It’s odd how people can experience the same thing and come away with opposite opinions. I love my G23 and even the G27s I’ve picked up for a song this year. It was the pair of G19s that I really didn’t care for, but that was several years back and I find myself warming up to them again. I have a pair of P10s that I carry sometimes but the two pistols that just feel right to me are the G23 and G30sf. I shot a G30S once and thought it snappy for a .45. Others love those things.

I tend to go by the theory of carrying the biggest caliber that you shoot well. I think the biggest issue with the .40 is that the majority of people that give it a try, don’t shoot it enough to get really comfortable with it. I shoot more than most do but even back when I was only shooting around 8k a year, I shot the .40 enough to come to really like it.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Not so fast Glock 212327, I saw those $200 Gen 3 Glock-22's at Jenkins a week ago Thursday . I started this post to let others know about them and they sold them all in 24 hrs.

Well like an idiot I didn't snag one, but had second thoughts and returned today to see if any others would be available. You never know what we get in and put out for sale, said Misty.
    But we do have two very nice 3rd Gen G-22 LE TRade ins for $250 she said. Crap, I coulda woulda shoulda snatched one for $200.
    So you guessed it, I grabbed one of the two $250,S left. I inspected both as new n/s (dull) one mag 5lb triggers, no box.
    Both looked good one had a smal wear mark on the right side of the slide, and the one I took is as new with no wear showing inside or out.
    Both had CUP xxx US serial number's.
    I don't know what PD they came from, so anyway glock, I left you one, came to $267.50 with tax, two $11 G-22 mags were for sale too both new Gen 3 new mags .
    Go get it!

Top Bottom