• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    There is a jerky outlet store over by cabelas in Louisville. I buy a lot of there products. My favorite is the Cajun bbq smoked brisket.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Got close to 4 pounds of Caribbean Jerk in the fridge and maybe 2 pounds worth of Cajun flavor currently dehydrating.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I've been doing my own jerky for about 18 years. I have my own recipe, but the past several years I have used commercial mixes. Started with Nesco, then switched to LEM a few years ago.
    My biggest problem with the commercial mixes is the end product is too salty!

I made a batch of LEM HOT and MESQUITE on Sunday, out of a 4lb. eye of round, and it turned out great. What I deduced is that I only marinated it for 5 hours, instead of overnight. Took about 5 hours in the dehydrator(Nesco Snackmaster), with six trays total. I had a pre-dry weight of 2lb,15oz., which was divided by the two seasonings. And of course, I rotated trays and flipped the jerky pieces about mid-way through the drying process. Wasn't too salty, and the wife thoroughly approved of the Mesquite(only jerky she likes[besides Sturgis Jerky]).

A few weeks ago I tried two recipes from this site: https://www.jerkyholic.com/beef-jerky-recipes/ , using an english roast. Can't remember which recipes I did, but was not impressed. I think I will stick to my recipe and the LEM seasonings. (NO, I will not give you my secret recipe...unless a cheeseburger is involved, or maybe a trade for your own recipe, or some Sturgis Jerky ).

Heads Up!: Meijer has whole eye of rounds for 2.99/lb this week(Indianapolis area, until Wed.). This is what I use, and after trimming the fatcap and silver skin, etc., I lose about 1lb. of total weight on a whole eye. In all, the leanness is better than any other cut of meat(except for venison), in my opinionated opinion!

Another Heads Up: Don't go out and buy one of those commercial dehydrators from Cabelas, you know, this one. I have used one for large batches(~12lb pre-dry) of jerky and it is no better than my 8-tray Nesco. Too much moving jerky, and trays, around to get the proper drying consistency. KISS: Keep It Simple Stewart.

Last edited:

Cattman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Franklin
    I call this one 4 Beer Jerky. semi frozen makes it easier to slice.

5# venison cut into Jerky strips
    1 tbl Black milled pepper
    1.75 oz. liquid smoke
    8 oz soy sauce
    8 tlb Worchestershire sauce
    6 tbl A-1 sauce
    2 tbl meat tenderizer
    1 tbl onion powder
    1 tbl garlic powder
    3 tbl crushed red peppers
    2-4 tbl ground cayenne pepper
    3-5 tbl hot sauce

I marinate overnight and stir things up 2-3 times. use wooden cabob sticks and dry the jerky in the oven set on low with a folded hot pad in the oven door to let moisture escape. I store in sealed mason jars in the fridge and it will last until my boys find it and inhale it..lol

Top Bottom