• ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Finally took my taurus pt1911 out to get broken in. Put 350 rounds of FMJ through it without a single problem. I was using the 2 factory mags and 2 wilson mags (47-D)...All 8 rounders. Before I was finished I shot a box of Gold Dots through and the first round out of the 8 round mags never fed properly unless I released the slide with the slide-release lever. If I started with 7+1 instead there were no feeding problems.
    Seems like it's just too much spring tension and the first round get's pushed too much from the bottom and stuck against the mag lips. Is there anything I can do to the mags? Widen the lips? Or should I just stick with going with 7 round mags and carrying 7+1?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The gun was designed to carry 7+1, once people start horsing with mags, they run into trouble. 1911s are mag finicky, try different 8 rounders if you still want to go to the trouble for an extra round. :D

Is the slide jamming the HP into the feedramp? Also, what weight of Gold Dots? I have had NOTHING but trouble with 185 Gold Dots, but 230s feed like glass (HP profile on 230 gr is more ball like than cavernous 185 holes)!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    The gun was designed to carry 7+1, once people start horsing with mags, they run into trouble. 1911s are mag finicky, try different 8 rounders if you still want to go to the trouble for an extra round. :D

Is the slide jamming the HP into the feedramp? Also, what weight of Gold Dots? I have had NOTHING but trouble with 185 Gold Dots, but 230s feed like glass (HP profile on 230 gr is more ball like than cavernous 185 holes)!

They are 230gr. They are taking a nose dive and getting jammed into the ramp, but when their are only 7 rounds in they feed great.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Don't cycle the slide with your hand still on it, rack the slide back and let it go.Dropping the slide with the slide stop lets the slide go forward under full recoil spring pressure just like racking slide back all the way and letting it go.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Try a different hollow point.

Don't ride the slide forward with your hand.

If problem persists, seek out professional gunsmith or send back to Taurus.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Also I had this issue with one of my 1911's. What fixed it was really polishing up the feed ramp and a little stronger recoil spring so it strips the top round of better. Say 18.5 lb if you are not running that already

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I use Remington Golden Sabre 185 gr. and 230 gr. in all my 1911's, from 3" bbl up to 5" bbl, with no problems. The bullet is a JHP, but the nose is still kinda "rounded" Never seen a Speer Gold Dot myself, so I don't know the shape. 7 rd. mags.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    I am considering jumping into a 1911 pretty soon.... is there one particular out of the box brand that is know for having %100 feeding reliability without having to do customization? I've been spoiled with my 9mm autos and the whole feeding thing with 45's bothers me...seem like everyone has to put money into them after purchasing to make them perform reliably. At least from reading threads it seems that is the case. I am open to correction.

Todd

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I am considering jumping into a 1911 pretty soon.... is there one particular out of the box brand that is know for having %100 feeding reliability without having to do customization? I've been spoiled with my 9mm autos and the whole feeding thing with 45's bothers me...seem like everyone has to put money into them after purchasing to make them perform reliably. At least from reading threads it seems that is the case. I am open to correction.

Todd

The 1911 feed issues as a generality in 1911s is long since past and lives on through old tales of the early guns. Once the customizers like Clark showed the way and manufactures like Kimber & Springfield started building guns with formerly custom features, the problem was history.

Any modern 1911 should feed hollow points as long as the manufacturer did their part. It would appear that either Taurus failed or the OP is inadvertently doing something to cause this like riding the slide forward.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    The 1911 feed issues as a generality in 1911s is long since past and lives on through old tales of the early guns. Once the customizers like Clark showed the way and manufactures like Kimber & Springfield started building guns with formerly custom features, the problem was history.

Any modern 1911 should feed hollow points as long as the manufacturer did their part. It would appear that either Taurus failed or the OP is inadvertently doing something to cause this like riding the slide forward.
    It will happen if I ride the slide forward, which is how I first checked. After that I released the slide quickly, and it didnt happen. However, to check how it would act while firing, I chambered a round and loaded in a mag...so I had 8+1. After the chambered round was fired the first round out of the mag nose dived each time. Racked the slide and the round chambered. Im gonna polish up the feed ramp some more and see how it goes. Then Ill check out a different ammo, even though the gold dots are pretty round.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    You might want to look at different mags. There have been problems with some of the 8 rd mags having that issue. Some manufacturers are using 7 rd mags and changing them to an 8 rd mags. I believe Wilson Combat has a mag that they designed to be an 8 rd mag instead of cramming an extra rd into a 7 rd'r. I use 8 rd KimPro Tac Mags in my full size Kimber with out issue.

Good luck resolving it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm curious as to what makes that would be? (Taurus?) I've not run into that problem yet.

I owned a CZ model 97 .45, and it would no cycle hollow points. I was at the range one day, and a guy had a 1911 do not remember what make. He could not get hollow points to cycle. Then there was one other, a guy had at the range can not remember the make with the same issue. I always carried ball ammo in my .45.

medic67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Columbus IN
    I'm curious as to what makes that would be? (Taurus?) I've not run into that problem yet.
    My RIA 1911 has had issues since I got it with nose dives with 8 rounds in the magazine.
    Round ball feed well now with no nose dives, this is after about 400 rounds through it.
    Hollow points still nose dive when loaded 8 to a mag.
    I have Remmington 230 grain hollowpoints. They are mostly rounded like a standard ball round,

I did do a minor amount of polishing and it did seem to help. Still it happens.

My Citadel has not had these issues, using both magazines from the RIA (Novak).
    My other mags are Chip McCormicks.
    I think I will do some inspection on both pistols when I get home from work and see if I can tell any difference.

Last edited:

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    2ez5gyo.jpg

medic67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Columbus IN
    That's what I was searching today. This is what I found. Old or new still a good thread, got me to do some research on my magazines at the very least.

Top Bottom