• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If it's jamming HPs into the edge of the feed ramp, but only on the first one, I'd say it's spring tension in the mag. Stay with 7+1. I have a Ruger MkI that won't eat HPs at all, and it needs an extension on the ramp, compared to a MkIII. Polishing won't help if it's not long enough.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Most 1911s will misfeed if you ride the slide forward. Either release it cleanly after you pull it back all the way or use the slide stop. Don't polish the feed ramp. It won't help and could actually cause other problems. Don't use a heavier recoil spring to force it to feed. The heavier recoil spring will cause other problems when it slams the barrel lug into lockup. Maybe I am misunderstanding exactly what your problem is here. You may also have a roughly finished extractor hook or breech face. You need to find a good 1911 smith. Don't follow too much of the advice on forums. A lot of it is well intended but completely wrong.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    What I have done is started keeping the 8th round in the mag a PowerBall round. It feeds just as well as an FMJ. I have found Winchester Ranger and Federal HSTs feed the best for my Taurus. Really anything other than Gold dots feed well. I still keep the first round out of the mag as a PowerBall just to be safe.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I recently purchased a RIA Government Model 1911.

I have fed a variety of ammunition from both 7 and 8 mags.... never a single FTF or FTE.

I must be the lucky one... or I got a really good pistol for the money ;)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have Gold Dots in the P12, and they're very similar in profile to the Federal Hydrashoks I replaced them with. It eats them just fine. You may have a feed ramp issue, and it sounds like you're right on the edge when it does it on 8 but not 7. I have a Ruger MkI that won't eat HPs, and it needs a ramp extension, which is in fact present in the MkIII.

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    I just got a brand new Spingfield 1911 Loaded, and I'm having issues with the next round not going all the way into the chamber. I was using S&B 230 FMJ. I tried about 10 rounds each of Speer Gold Dot JHP and Magtech 165 gr HP in +P. The HP stuff ran fine, the FMJ not so much.:dunno:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My Springfield 1911 is finicky about hollow points also. FMJ it will feed flawless. 185gr. HP's it will jam.

My 1911 prefers 230gr. HP's. And it seems to prefer Hornady Critical TAP. Never had a problem with TAP. Other HP's in 230gr. Have had 1 or 2 malfunctions in a couple hundred rounds thru it

And there fired from an 8 round mag with 1 in the pipe. 8+1

Top Bottom