• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just found out that Jim Reinholt passed away. I believe that the quoted text below was written by Massad Ayoob.

I came to know Jim when started shooting Bianchi in 2003. One thing about Jim was he always had a story and you always knew where you stood with him. And he also dished out some of the best shooting advice ever, "Put em in the middle."

A FINE MAN PASSES

October 22nd, 2010 by Mas
    Yesterday the state of Indiana, and the United States of America, and the gun owners’ civil rights movement all lost one of their most accomplished sons. James Reinholt died in the quintessential heartland American town of Winamac, IN, where he was born in 1941.

In his younger days, Jim spent time as a policeman in the American Southwest, where he became a friend and protégé of such great gun experts and legendary lawmen as Bill Jordan and Charlie “Skeeter” Skelton, and earned their respect to the point where he progressed beyond being their student and became their peer and friend. Like them, he didn’t fear to go into the most dangerous situations, and the gunfights Jim won left him with a renewed value for human life. He taught people how to survive, in classes from Mexico to the American Midwest.

When Jim decided to devote his life to teaching – which he did, for four decades as a true mentor in venues from elementary school to Purdue – he never lost sight of the lessons that kept him alive in his earlier profession. Reinholt’s Range in Winamac was a true Backwoods Home gathering spot for everyone from factory workers to judges and millionaires, some coming to shoot an evening round of trap or skeet, and some coming for more serious pursuits. Before he became ill, Jim hosted an annual police combat match in which each scenario replicated some gunfight that had occurred in the past year between Indiana cops and dirtbags who tried to murder them. For many years, he hosted the Indiana State Championships of NRA Action Pistol shooting.

He taught cops and armed citizens alike to understand what they were fighting to return to when the chips were down: their family, their values, the people they loved. Jim’s long marriage to the brilliant Carol Reinholt was evidence of that. Together, they raised a bright and beautiful daughter and two fine sons, one of whom they tragically lost.

One of the most articulate men I ever knew – like Col. Jeff Cooper, Jim Reinholt always spoke in the same perfect diction in which he wrote – the erudite Reinholt was a compelling advocate for the civil rights we all fight for when he stood at the podium. His influence was recognized in 2004 when he was named a Sagamore of the Wabash, an Indiana accolade that any Hoosier understands and reveres. Jim Reinholt was living proof that being an intellectual and having common sense need not be mutually exclusive.

Condolences to his family. We have too few people like Jim Reinholt, and it’s not a cliché to say that his loss diminishes us all.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Damn, it had been to long since I drove down to see him. Bought my S&W 686 from him, his son that died, did the trigger job on it right after I had shot a few rounds out of it out back of their shop. I regret ever trading that gun, it served me well while I was on the Sheriff's Posse both in Starke and Lake Counties. Good man, great person, learned a lot from him. My prayers to his family.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Met Mr. Reinholt when I took my very first pistol course, LFI's Intro to Combat Handguns, at his range back in 1998.

RIP.

picture.php

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Jim was a friend, a mentor, a teacher, and more to me. I cannot count the number of nights I spent at his house. We shot skeet almost every Wednesday for many years, Action Pistol every month, and some of the funniest competitions I ever took part in took place at Jim's. The Ernest Hemingway Memorial Shoot, full auto Bianchi Cup, shooting trap with machine guns...if you could think it up we would try it. Jim's wife Carol was a second Mom to me, she always had a spare bed if I needed it and Jim's son Rankin as well as Casey taught me a great deal about shooting despite being much younger than myself.

My life is much richer for knowing Jim, I am glad I was able to call him friend.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Condolences to his family. I shot a couple IDPA matches there. Wish I had a backyard like that.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Jim was a friend, a mentor, a teacher, and more to me. I cannot count the number of nights I spent at his house. We shot skeet almost every Wednesday for many years, Action Pistol every month, and some of the funniest competitions I ever took part in took place at Jim's. The Ernest Hemingway Memorial Shoot, full auto Bianchi Cup, shooting trap with machine guns...if you could think it up we would try it. Jim's wife Carol was a second Mom to me, she always had a spare bed if I needed it and Jim's son Rankin as well as Casey taught me a great deal about shooting despite being much younger than myself.

My life is much richer for knowing Jim, I am glad I was able to call him friend.
    All I can add is Casey was always missed and my most prized handgun came from Jim.

The man motivated you on any subject you discussed with him. He almost talked me into being a Teacher more than once. I still consider it 20+ years later. He was that great.

My favorite quote from Jim: The .380 is a stick it in the ear and pull the trigger gun. Better then a bare fist.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It's unfortunate to hear this. I went to Purdue with Rankin, and his dad never knew a stranger and always reached out to anyone involved with the shooting sports. I know he will be missed.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    I knew Jim from back in the '80s. Shot there many times and was in a couple of Jungle Lane subgun matches. He was one great guy. Always a funny story and a warm welcome awaited you at the range. Jim was a wealth of knowledge when it came to reloading and guns in general.

I haven't been able to get down there for a few years and now wished I had just stopped by to say hello.

RIP Jim.

My prayers are with Carol and the rest of the family.

Dave

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    I never had the pleasure of meeting Jim Reinholt. I have heard a lot of good things about him and good times had at his range. Our thought and prayers are with his family.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Many have written kind things here.... none do justice. Indeed, our community has lost a great man. Every time I think of the tenets of safe gun handling, I think of Jim. I was scared of him as a youth, because I knew he took no bull**** when it came to gun safety. As I aged, that fear turned into deep respect- both for him and for the rules he taught. Jim always ran a "hot range", never a "cold range". It was never any more dangerous, because he simply wouldn't abide unsafe gun handling, period. He'd run you off and never lose a wink of sleep. His method adds a real sense of gravity to the rules and expectations of the range.

If we all had mentors/fathers/friends like Jim, this world would be a lot better. Incidentally, any who knew his father could see where Jim got it from.

We all try to wax poetically when we say goodbye to our old friends, my words certainly aren't as good as his would've been. Simply, RIP Jim.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Jim was a terrific teacher. I took many NRA instructor courses at his place. He took his time with me and taught me how to reload. (Must have spent 20 or more hours reloading with him) One time he was loading up some 44 magnums for someone and had me test them out. MAN THAT HURT!!! He was laughing for hours. He will be missed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Jim's wake tonight was a very nice tribute, both to his accomplishments in the shooting sports, but more importantly to his role as a father. Of course everyone misses the man, but surprisingly, it wasn't as "sad" as many funerals I've been to. Looking back, it is not a shock- Jim and his family were fun-loving people. Why would his wake be anything else?

When all you've got to remember are good memories, you are bound to end up laughing in a funeral parlor.

b j

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    south side of indy
    Jim and his family allways had open arms for shooters.We did 8 Reinholt Mugs 3 gun match and loved the spring tune ups from 83 through 86. We did as much talking as shooting in thoes days the number of shooters were smaller made for more fun.Jim had time for every one. Sorry to say its been 20-25 years since we were at the range. Our prayers are with carol and the family.

rreinholt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Dad

Thank you all for your kind words and memories. Dad was an interesting and colorful person. It has been some time since I shot with some of you but I always get in a round of Skeet when every I get home. Dad had two main quotes when at the range; it was either "Shoot'em in the Middle" or "Shoot'em in the Air." The latter is quoted on each of my children's 20 gauge gun cases given to them by my Hero, my Dad. Love you Dad!

Rankin

Top Bottom