• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I would be interested in seeing a clip of video showing getting the under hook and what happened there. You don't have to post it just email it to me if you can. I am interested.

I figure I can share this portion with the class. This is tangentially relevant to my post in the entangled gunfight thread with the Craig Douglas video discussing the underhook and tie positions. These are some positions I've been playing with in my spare time.

Angle 1:

[video=youtube_share;3lhFXiVdnh0]https://youtu.be/3lhFXiVdnh0[/video]

Angle 2:

[video=youtube_share;LAloUqKbgXw]https://youtu.be/LAloUqKbgXw[/video]

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I would be on the other end of most matches these days. I wasn't trying to hurt the guy, he just pushed in at the wrong time and got launched, with me landing on him pretty solidly. Most of the clubs that I was around let you work as hard as you are comfortable

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One of my foremost training goals is to avoid the ambulance and be able to walk in to work the next day under my own power. I'm not yet old, but not as resilient as I probably was in school.

That's a good goal.

That's something that is a reality for me all the time.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    What does INGO think? Is grappling competition a worthwhile pursuit in terms of improving the trainee's ability to win a fight?

Absolutely! One of the best ways to put yourself under pressure is to compete in front of others. Just make sure you combine the comp training with street training (I know you do, this is more for anyone reading that's new to training).

I have a couple wrestling coaches I can get you in touch with as well as a judo black belt instructor if you ever want me to.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    Jackson, if you want wrestling advice talk to Jack about Greg Archer. Judo? Talk to Megaton next time he comes to town. If your goal is to get better at BJJ, stick with what you are doing now---and try to do more of it. Good luck.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Jackson, if you want wrestling advice talk to Jack about Greg Archer. Judo? Talk to Megaton next time he comes to town. If your goal is to get better at BJJ, stick with what you are doing now---and try to do more of it. Good luck.

I don't plan to learn wrestling in lieu of the BJJ. I get to BJJ as often as possible. My goal is to add a little wrestling technique where it has good answers in specific places. Right now that's only a couple days a month of learning/drilling specific wrestling stuff.

I know it's really not enough to become a proficient wrestler, but I like to think training will accumulate over time. I'm looking at this as a long-term proposition. Training as a lifestyle rather than for any specific near-term goal. I add a little skill here, a little skill there, and eventually I'll be able to put things together.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    What does INGO think? Is grappling competition a worthwhile pursuit in terms of improving the trainee's ability to win a fight?

Absolutely! One of the best ways to put yourself under pressure is to compete in front of others. Just make sure you combine the comp training with street training (I know you do, this is more for anyone reading that's new to training).

I have a couple wrestling coaches I can get you in touch with as well as a judo black belt instructor if you ever want me to.

I really thought the audience was going to be the biggest problem for me. I was thinking a lot about it while I was waiting for my match. After I got on the mat I forgot they were even there. I felt very relaxed through almost the entire match. Moreso than I expected. Probably moreso than was optimal for being competitive.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I really thought the audience was going to be the biggest problem for me. I was thinking a lot about it while I was waiting for my match. After I got on the mat I forgot they were even there. I felt very relaxed through almost the entire match. Moreso than I expected. Probably moreso than was optimal for being competitive.

Maybe it is a facade, but you always seem pretty low key to me.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

Are you under McVicker? I've Been training under Patrick Robinson for the last year and a half.

My plan was to compete this November then I tore two meniscus and an ACL during a guard pass.

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    anything that adds stress and makes you train your mind and body is great. I read a study somewhere which Ill post if I can find that showed the results of a study on sports and competiton on different chemicals in the brain that control stress response and among other things which proved that competive sports and training make you healthier and ready to take risks that others wouldnt. It was very interesting and speaking from experience competitive sports (mainly boxing) changed me for the better and helped me majorly in the couple self defense situations Ive been in in my life. Compete on sir and have fun.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I've been competing for a few years now and when I started, I thought I would have been more self conscience about all eyes being on me. In reality, once on the mat, all that goes away and the focus is the man in front of me 100%. Now the trick is to focus but still have an open ear to whoever is coaching you. When I get REALLY relaxed during certain matches, my eyes will start wandering and looking at the people watching the match.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yesterday I competed in my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competition. I lost 4-2 in the gi competition and injured a rib forcing me to pull out of the no gi portion. I was pretty disappointed in my performance, but it was a good experience.

I've been training off and on around my work schedule for the past few years. I hadn't previously been interested in competition. I started BJJ as a self-defense tool and a fitness activity. I'm not a competitive person and generally don't have the "go get 'em" attitude that I think is probably required to be successful in competition. So I didn't think competition was for me.

After being encouraged by my training partners, and comparing it to how I approach other parts of training, I have decided that competition is important. It was a mistake for me not to compete from the beginning. I believe force on force training is an essential part of testing and learning self-defense skills. I think practical pistol competition is a really good way of testing and learning pure shooting skills. I'm not sure why I thought I should learn Jiu Jitsu without a real pressure test. I think it has merits and application to self-defense training as well.

• It is more stressful than learning grappling in the gym with your training buddies. For me it was not as stressful as a well-done force-on-force scenario, but there was a measure of stress. The audience adds to that.
    • You're competing against someone you've never met. You have no idea what they can or will do.
    • You know the resistance is real. When in the gym with your buddies or even most force on force scenarios, no one is going all out. You can never be sure if you got that take-down, sweep, or sub because they were only going 70% or because you are just that good. The competition is the true test of what you can do.
    • Testing is required to assess skills and make adjustments in training. Competition is the best test. Competition focuses training.

Sure, it doesn't look like a "real fight". There's no striking, no weapons, and we're on cushy mats. These are all things I used to think when I was deciding not to compete in the past and those are certainly limitations. But basic grappling skills are basic grappling skills, and some of it (most?) is universally applicable. I now believe if I'd been competing from the beginning my grappling skills would be substantially better than they are today.

Below is a shot of me (blue gi) with an underhook, good head position, and inside control on the other side. I've been working a couple techniques from this position for the past couple months. Unfortunately I attempted NONE of the things that I've been working. I tried to do a poorly executed judo technique that I've never properly practiced. I ended up on the bottom and remained there for the majority of the 5 minute match. My opponent was awarded 2 points for a takedown for reversing my failed Judo throw. I don't know what I was thinking there.
    View attachment 70392

FIRST, congratulations are in order to you for doing the hard thing. Competing in BJJ, like other similar sports, is hard. Training is hard, preparing is hard, getting your mind right is hard. Unlike team sports, it is just you and your opponent. If you fail, no one to blame but yourself. I recommend BJJ to my recruit officers for similar reasons. Of course BJJ's goal is to control a person who is trying not to be controlled. A useful skill in law enforcement you know. However, the ability to stay calm under extreme stress carries over to all aspects of life. I train 4-5 days a week and love every minute of it.

Top Bottom