• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some times you win, sometimes you lose. Interviews are tricky things. Don't get frustrated, and keep knocking on doors. Some things to keep in mind, always have a cover letter included with an application, always carry extra resumes to the interview, and always send a thank you email afterwards. Also don't be humble. Sell yourself as being great, and the person interviewing will often see you in that way.
    [video=youtube;J-8HYbYYW1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-8HYbYYW1U[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Honestly, I think this is just going to be one of life's mysteries for all of us... Ever been out on a date with a girl that you liked, but didn't like you? Who knows?

You can also go about this in the opposite direction and simply ask the hiring manager what qualifications they felt you could have worked harder on to be a better candidate for the position. My gut feeling is that will result in no response, but, maybe?

Genuinely, good luck in your search. I know it gets demoralizing after awhile.

Nope! They all loved me!

In fact, I did respond to her notice asking just that. I am not expecting a response, much less a substantial response, but it can't hurt to ask. Most people in that position will keep their mouths and keyboards silent if they are smart.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    54 is a tough age to be job hunting these days. Like most folks have said you'll find something that fits your skill set.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Rhino,

A. It's hard to read how an interview goes, especially these days.
    B. Don't worry about your age. i know guys who are past the 60 mark and get jobs every day. The economy is screaming right now and millennial's are often not the first choice.
    C. Make sure you are asking more questions than they are asking you. It can be tough to get in that mindset, but you can do it. Google effective interview questions and you'll get some. You could probably even find them for your profession.
    D. Do some research on the company you are applying to so you know a little when you are in the interview. Find something in your research of interest to ask a question about.
    E. Ask for the job! I had zero experience in plastic injection molding and I beat out another guy who had years of experience because I asked for the job. You have to let them know that you really want the position.

I have had the unfortunate luck of holding several jobs over my professional career. I have left jobs, been laid off or bought out and my position dissolved. I even worked for a company that was feverishly buying companies and every time they did I had to interview just to keep my job! Talk about stress!

I'd say I am above average in interviewing skills so if you have any questions or need some help prior to your next interview, PM me and we can talk of maybe even meet up.

Hang in there!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's the problem... You burned up all your luck on the ladies and not on the jobs! ;)

I'm very curious to know if you actually get a response.

Worth it!

54 is a tough age to be job hunting these days. Like most folks have said you'll find something that fits your skill set.

Thank you, sir. I hope to be able to follow some money soon!

Rhino,

A. It's hard to read how an interview goes, especially these days.
    B. Don't worry about your age. i know guys who are past the 60 mark and get jobs every day. The economy is screaming right now and millennial's are often not the first choice.
    C. Make sure you are asking more questions than they are asking you. It can be tough to get in that mindset, but you can do it. Google effective interview questions and you'll get some. You could probably even find them for your profession.
    D. Do some research on the company you are applying to so you know a little when you are in the interview. Find something in your research of interest to ask a question about.
    E. Ask for the job! I had zero experience in plastic injection molding and I beat out another guy who had years of experience because I asked for the job. You have to let them know that you really want the position.

I have had the unfortunate luck of holding several jobs over my professional career. I have left jobs, been laid off or bought out and my position dissolved. I even worked for a company that was feverishly buying companies and every time they did I had to interview just to keep my job! Talk about stress!

I'd say I am above average in interviewing skills so if you have any questions or need some help prior to your next interview, PM me and we can talk of maybe even meet up.

Hang in there!

All good advice!

I did ask a lot of questions and I was well prepared. When they asked me what appealed to me about the company, I had several points to make based both on my research as well as my initial impressions of how I was treated by everyone who encountered me on the way inside, including one of the three principals who own the company.

I got stuck unprepared on a phone interview in the early spring when I had the flu. I should have postponed, but instead I tried to wing it while I was barely functional. I won't make that same mistake again if I can help it!

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    It makes me nervous thinking about being in your position, and I'm sorry you are going through this.

I'm sure your confidence is a bit shakey (mine would be), and I think that is one of the biggest things that hiring managers pick up on. When I interview new team members, uneasiness on their part is hard to overcome. Getting yourself in the right mental state might be worth thinking about. There are techniques that you can use to boost your confidence. I'm not suggesting that you aren't knowledgeable or confident, just that you might not seem that way during the interview.

I'm not sure of the types of positions you are interested in. Are they highly technical? Also, do you see a theme in the types of interview questions that you might be able to practice?

As silly as this seems, wear those interview clothes around the house (within reason). I can tell when someone is sitting in front of me that is not comfortable in what they are wearing.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If it helps gauging an interview is very hard, my fiance has a Human Resources degree and she had to look for a decent job for a long time with lots of interviews that "had gone well" and then rejected much like you were. Bad thing is she is in HR so she knows or should know how to interview!

I am not much help personally in this department, but I wish you the best of luck in your search Rhino!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I applied at my last employer, it was for a position that I was well qualified for. During the interview I was asked if I would be willing to take on a higher position in management with more money. I him if he would work with me until I had a handle on it that I would do it. Had to be interviewed by two other guys, but this guy was the decision maker and I got the job. They called me about two hours after the interview, I wan't home yet but when my wife said so and so called, my gut told me I was hired.

Point being, you never know what to expect.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It makes me nervous thinking about being in your position, and I'm sorry you are going through this.

I'm sure your confidence is a bit shakey (mine would be), and I think that is one of the biggest things that hiring managers pick up on. When I interview new team members, uneasiness on their part is hard to overcome. Getting yourself in the right mental state might be worth thinking about. There are techniques that you can use to boost your confidence. I'm not suggesting that you aren't knowledgeable or confident, just that you might not seem that way during the interview.

I'm not sure of the types of positions you are interested in. Are they highly technical? Also, do you see a theme in the types of interview questions that you might be able to practice?

As silly as this seems, wear those interview clothes around the house (within reason). I can tell when someone is sitting in front of me that is not comfortable in what they are wearing.

Me too!

I did have some confidence issues and it was called to my attention by a couple of friends. I have taken measures to correct my attitude and while no one is perfect, I'm "confident that I present myself with confidence" when I am interviewing. Part of that was reminding myself that I am still able to walk away from any deal that doesn't feel right to me. I do need a full time job, but I am not desperate. There are places where I would really like to become part of the team and I would add value to their operation, but I don't need it so that I will make bad decisions or unacceptable compromises.

I'm applying mostly for project manager/coordinator/leader jobs, technical writing, and some customer support roles. I make an effort to match what I can offer to what a position requires more than the title, though, because so many titles have slushy definitions.

When I applied at my last employer, it was for a position that I was well qualified for. During the interview I was asked if I would be willing to take on a higher position in management with more money. I him if he would work with me until I had a handle on it that I would do it. Had to be interviewed by two other guys, but this guy was the decision maker and I got the job. They called me about two hours after the interview, I wan't home yet but when my wife said so and so called, my gut told me I was hired.

Point being, you never know what to expect.

That kind of thing is a dream come true! I try to not burn any bridges just in case someone who didn't think I right for the job of interest at a later date thinks I might be well-suited for a different opportunity.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Rhino, don't have a position to offer, but I have a little encouragement-

My firm has embarked upon trying to hire people your age and older. We have found brand new lawyers to be either flighty, lazy or untrainable (or 2 or 3 of those). Maybe some in your industry will note the same thing.

Good luck!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm in healthcare, interviewed for an assistant director of nursing job....because I had no "actual" management experience I was denied that position but offered a different management position. My current employer offered me a similar upward move (unit manager) and I stayed on.

I interviewed for a weekend manager at a facility not long ago and was granted the position, was also told I would basically be the ADON without the title (to not have to go salary). I was also offered that position (which I declined due to my current employer making a shift for me to be able to stay home and not work 2nd shift).

It would really help me to know what field you're in. I've had quite a few positive interviews lately, and I felt like I bombed both of the ones that gave me offers. I typically write down 3 questions and keep them in a chest pocket to ask the interviewer. With healthcare being in demand, I get to be a bit more...liberal, with my questions though.

I always ask: How long has this position been vacant, and why did that person leave. What type of leaders do you have in management? (laissez-faire, authoritarian, democratic) 3) I also typically ask a question regarding inspections/survey and try to turn it around to where I could be an asset to help be deficiency free.

I sent you a PM Rhino. Hit me up anytime.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm applying mostly for project manager/coordinator/leader jobs, technical writing, and some customer support roles. I make an effort to match what I can offer to what a position requires more than the title, though, because so many titles have slushy definitions.

What part of the state are you in? We run in the same professional circles and if I hear something I can let you know, if it's helpful.

Honest truth is that my employer just hired 2 guys your age and over as project managers and they're useless (or worse, an annoyance)... Someone that knows what they're doing would be a welcome relief and one of the guys uses the word "retirement" in every conversation I've ever had with him, and I'm hoping he does it, and soon...

We're also changing physical locations and we've all been given the impression that they're casting off the dead weight when they do it...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm in healthcare, interviewed for an assistant director of nursing job....because I had no "actual" management experience I was denied that position but offered a different management position. My current employer offered me a similar upward move (unit manager) and I stayed on.

I interviewed for a weekend manager at a facility not long ago and was granted the position, was also told I would basically be the ADON without the title (to not have to go salary). I was also offered that position (which I declined due to my current employer making a shift for me to be able to stay home and not work 2nd shift).

It would really help me to know what field you're in. I've had quite a few positive interviews lately, and I felt like I bombed both of the ones that gave me offers. I typically write down 3 questions and keep them in a chest pocket to ask the interviewer. With healthcare being in demand, I get to be a bit more...liberal, with my questions though.

I always ask: How long has this position been vacant, and why did that person leave. What type of leaders do you have in management? (laissez-faire, authoritarian, democratic) 3) I also typically ask a question regarding inspections/survey and try to turn it around to where I could be an asset to help be deficiency free.

That's a great outcome!

Those are also great questions that I will add to my growing list. The answers may not concern me in the abstract, but they show a keener interest in the company and how it works.

I sent you a PM Rhino. Hit me up anytime.

Replied!

What part of the state are you in? We run in the same professional circles and if I hear something I can let you know, if it's helpful.

Honest truth is that my employer just hired 2 guys your age and over as project managers and they're useless (or worse, an annoyance)... Someone that knows what they're doing would be a welcome relief and one of the guys uses the word "retirement" in every conversation I've ever had with him, and I'm hoping he does it, and soon...

We're also changing physical locations and we've all been given the impression that they're casting off the dead weight when they do it...

I live in Montgomery County, but my job was on the NW side of Indy. I'm open to consider any location from Lafayette to Indianapolis to Greencastle and anything between those cities and home.

Here is my LinkedIn profile if you are interested: My LinkedIn Profile

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I live in Montgomery County, but my job was on the NW side of Indy. I'm open to consider any location from Lafayette to Indianapolis to Greencastle and anything between those cities and home.

Here is my LinkedIn profile if you are interested: My LinkedIn Profile

I'm too far north of your target to be of any use.

FWIW, this is the recruiter that landed me my current job. I only spoke with them about 2 positions and both of them resulted in interviews. Far and away the best experience I've ever had with headhunters and they represent clients all over the state. Worth a shot?

https://www.careertransitionsllc.com/

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm sorry to hear about this news rhino. It sounded like you had some good prospects lined up. To get a rejection that soon after the interview is odd. Keep your head up.

Also, it's better to not join a company that turns out to be a bad fit.

If you'll recall from our conversation about my job search experience, I took an offer after looking for 6 months mainly because I was desperate. Then when I actually joined the company I only lasted three weeks before they told me "I wasn't a good fit." I was crushed, dejected and back to square one. The little bit of unemployment income I had coming in stopped because the of the new job that didn't last. I had to scrape and scratch just to get through the next three months. Finally I got down to my last warm prospect and I ended up getting an interview which frankly, I thought I bombed. A month later I got an offer. I've been in the role almost three months now and it's a company and position I love so far.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm too far north of your target to be of any use.

FWIW, this is the recruiter that landed me my current job. I only spoke with them about 2 positions and both of them resulted in interviews. Far and away the best experience I've ever had with headhunters and they represent clients all over the state. Worth a shot?

https://www.careertransitionsllc.com/

Thank you, sir! I'm on their web site now.

I'm sorry to hear about this news rhino. It sounded like you had some good prospects lined up. To get a rejection that soon after the interview is odd. Keep your head up.

Also, it's better to not join a company that turns out to be a bad fit.

If you'll recall from our conversation about my job search experience, I took an offer after looking for 6 months mainly because I was desperate. Then when I actually joined the company I only lasted three weeks before they told me "I wasn't a good fit." I was crushed, dejected and back to square one. The little bit of unemployment income I had coming in stopped because the of the new job that didn't last. I had to scrape and scratch just to get through the next three months. Finally I got down to my last warm prospect and I ended up getting an interview which frankly, I thought I bombed. A month later I got an offer. I've been in the role almost three months now and it's a company and position I love so far.

Thanks for the ongoing support, Chris. You had quite a journey and I'm glad you landed in a good place after all of that time.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I lost my job when everything crashed in 08/09. I was out of work for 1 whole year. With a wife and 2 sons at home. The wife had a full time job. If I recall correctly my unemployment was extended from the 26 weeks. Although $390 a week does not get you too far. Don't get me wrong I was grateful to get that. My folks gave me 5K out of what was to be part of my inheritance. It was a life saver for us. I ended up getting an IT job in higher education. And been with it ever since. I'm hoping to retire in 2 years at age 65. I feel for anyone that is out of work for an extended amount of time. It is an emotional roller coaster. My wife was my rock throughout the ordeal.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, don't have a position to offer, but I have a little encouragement-

My firm has embarked upon trying to hire people your age and older. We have found brand new laewyers to be either flighty, lazy or untrainable (or 2 or 3 of those). Maybe some in your industry will note the same thing.

Good luck!

I hope so! I'm not sure how to process it if the "real problem" is age in my case. I don't think I'll ever know either way, but I'm not moving forward under the assumption that I'm experiencing discrimination because of my age. It might be happening and I'm aware of the possibility, but I have no evidence either way.

I lost my job when everything crashed in 08/09. I was out of work for 1 whole year. With a wife and 2 sons at home. The wife had a full time job. If I recall correctly my unemployment was extended from the 26 weeks. Although $390 a week does not get you too far. Don't get me wrong I was grateful to get that. My folks gave me 5K out of what was to be part of my inheritance. It was a life saver for us. I ended up getting an IT job in higher education. And been with it ever since. I'm hoping to retire in 2 years at age 65. I feel for anyone that is out of work for an extended amount of time. It is an emotional roller coaster. My wife was my rock throughout the ordeal.

It's good that you had another household income and parents who could help, especially because you had two responsibilities at home who depended on you. In my case, I have to rely on my savings, my part time job that I've had since 2007, and some temporary assignments combined with a drastic reduction in spending. It's painful watching everything I worked so hard to save drain away, but it's good knowing that I prepared for this kind of situation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hope so! I'm not sure how to process it if the "real problem" is age in my case. I don't think I'll ever know either way, but I'm not moving forward under the assumption that I'm experiencing discrimination because of my age. It might be happening and I'm aware of the possibility, but I have no evidence either way.

81iNH2AKrYL._SY606_.jpg

:whistle:

Top Bottom