• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My commute is 39.6 miles one way. I love where I live. I really like my job. So, how much do you like your job and where you live? Compare...make a judgment.

This is me, except I'm 33 miles one way. Love my job and love the area I live in and would even consider driving a bit farther to get my dream house and stay at my current job.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Comparing and making the judgement...that's the hard part! Haha oh well, good news I don't have kids or a spouse to worry about in this decision. No matter what I choose it doesn't have to be a career-long commitment.

Similar to my situation and I chose to follow the money. That means I sacrificed location, but I very much like my job. Luckily I can change that when further adulting kicks in.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Let's say you worked for a company that has locations all over Indiana, with HQ in Indy. The locations have the same jobs as the others, but HQ has a lot of jobs and most can't be found in the locations around the state. Obviously due to locations and group dynamics, the locations are similar but different.

Now let's say you had to pick a job at this company, would you value a job you love over a location you hate or a job you hate over a location you love? Obviously if you love the job and the location it's a clear choice. Maybe you don't love or hate either one. In short, would you be more likely to pick the best job or the best location, and why?

Hopefully this little personal opinion question is slightly clearer than mud!

I would say it depends on where you are in your career, if you have one. Is this "just a job" or are you at a point in your life where you have a career? If you have a career, I'd pick the job that advances your career the best. If it's "just a job" and pay is similar, I'd do whatever you feel will make you the happiest. You might need to suck it up for a while doing a job or living in a location you don't prefer, while waiting for what you really want. Or like others have mentioned, it might be the time to look at other opportunities so you can have both the job and position you want.

I cannot imagine why anyone would volunteer to drive into a metro area?

Lots of reasons, but sometimes due to the type of job you want and the pay level you desire. The job field I work in doesn't have a lot of openings in more rural areas. Just the way it is. I'm putting in my time now, working for a company downtown and if I'm lucky, in the next 5 - 10 years I can take this position full time telecommuting, which means I can move out in the country like I want to. At that point, I'll be able to live wherever I want, as long as I have broadband and I'll still have a job I love, by that time probably making 6 figures. I'm making the sacrifice now to get to where I want to be. At least I'm fortunate enough that on the days I have to drive into work, I'm only ~20 minutes away and traffic isn't too horrid. I feel sorry for my coworkers who live on the North side.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    General Rule: Job now, location later.

It is more of a function of how much better is the job or the location. You really have a lot of variables to weigh:

1) How long will the situation last?

2) Does the situation prepare me for something better later?

3) How much better/worse is the job? (Pay, environment, co-workers, challenge, benefits, opportunity, duties)

4) How much better/worse is the location? (Commute or relocation and how far, will I still see family/friends, how different are the locations eg NYC vs rural Montana or Terre Haute vs West Lafayette).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I pick the one that has the best income vs cost of living. The sooner I retire, the sooner I can have the location I really want and no worries about a job there. I prefer a small town, but I go where the work is. Enough so that I lived abroad for 2 years in a place that reaches 130 degrees in the summer.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I feel like this is a difficult question to answer for someone... I know that location is very important but you can't be 100% miserable at your job either. Job satisfaction ranks super high in my book. I have a close friend who is very money motivated that just took a good pay cut to move back home after being a few states away for awhile. I think being within an hour or two of friends or family is much more bearable but it is all just a weighing game. There are so many factors that come in to play with this, and a lot of times both choices are the right one.

I personally have been choosing location over job for quite awhile and to the best of my ability I will continue to do so as well.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    For 16 years I drove to the south side of Chicago, 36 miles each way. Indiana toll road, skyway to Stoney Island. The pay was very good, the job meh. Now my commute is 18 minutes. And I love my job and now have the best boss ever. Trust me I worked for some real douche bags in the past. For me being content in my job is most important. You spend way too much time at work to be unhappy. And that can carry over to your personal life too.

Top Bottom