• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Pretty sure this is an auto response but I thought I would share it anyways.

donnelly_letterhead.png

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, and I have voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like all Americans, I was shaken to my core by the senseless murders of 20 children in Newtown, Connecticut. It is only reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce the likelihood of a tragedy like that happening again.

Whether a gun owner or not, a Democrat or a Republican, everyone would agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern is not those who follow the law, but those who do not. For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.

sig_footer.png

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Reasonable good. Usually right after the "however" comes the support for magazine restrictions and universal background checks. No mention of capacity restrictions, and while the "keeping out of the hands of" could've construed as universal background checks, the next sentence about not preserving 2nd Amendment rights for law abiding citizens may mean he's not against private sales. The proof, as always, is in the pudding (and the voting).

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Received the same email this morning, finally a response!
    Ditto!

I also agree, when I see a 'However' and the avoidance of any other clear cut speech on other parts of the second amendment (magazines, background checks etc.) I get a little nervous.

I am glad he is against an AWB, but I do not trust him.

I am also nervous about politicians that say they support the second amendment. This can also be interpreted that they support it for the military and police and not for the public. In a twisted way, they are not lying..completely...today...without their fingers crossed...and it depends on what your definition of support and is is.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My concern is not those who follow the law, but those who do not. For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

In other words, UBC's are on the table, boys!

dangar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    New Castle, IN
    I received the same e-mail from Donnelly yesterday. While I can appreciate much of what he says, he still lays the groundwork for universal background checks.

tj_v89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    honestly though, a letter like that appeases his voter base and branches out to the opposition as well. I see this as none other than political strategy...a firm stance on gun control, one way or another, can be political suicide on a small enough stage

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I do not trust that man one bit. If he is willing to give into UBC's, then he is willing to give in to other such laws I would imagine. The whole concept of UBC's cannot be fully enforced. I wish these people would understand that.

Top Bottom