• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Fox News has reported that Joe Paterno has passed away. I have no problem with saying that the molesting of children and the association of the Penn State football team is wrong. Those that participated or had knowledge should pay. And pay they will. I don't know the involvement of Coach Paterno. It is sad that such a great coach has left us with this legacy

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Fox News has reported that Joe Paterno has passed away. I have no problem with saying that the molesting of children and the association of the Penn State football team is wrong. Those that participated or had knowledge should pay. And pay they will. I don't know the involvement of Coach Paterno. It is sad that such a great coach has left us with this legacy

+ 1 It's sad to say but his error in judgement will forever tarnish his legacy.
    But as at the end of the day he has no one to blame though but himself.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    + 1 It's sad to say but his error in judgement will forever tarnish his legacy.
    But as at the end of the day he has no one to blame though but himself.

Has he even made any statement as to his involvement with it. I loved Penn State football. I disassociateded myself due to the charges. Personal thing...no I was not a ball boy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm not sure I'd call "turning a blind eye to child rape" as an "error in judgement". You make it sound like he made an illegal left turn or something.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I'm not sure I'd call "turning a blind eye to child rape" as an "error in judgement". You make it sound like he made an illegal left turn or something.

I don't think that we can ever minimize the damages done to the children. The effects will last a lifetime for them. I have see too many and know that what happened to them will effect everything they do forever. Their lives are now shattered. I have seen too many victims turn into the people they were victimized by. My thoughts go out to them.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana

His error in judgement was not pressing forward to see the charges through, his error was just kicking the can up the line and feeling he had done his part. I also feel he was blinded by his wanting to pass BB to be the all time winningest coach, something that might not have happended if he really pressed forward with the charges.

P.S.
    I am pretty sure he didn't condone child rape, but as such he has paid a very high price for his inactions.

And no I am not a Penn State/ Paterno fan......I bleed Red & Black.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Ummm, curiosity.....I'm not a fan of most sports, with the exception of horse racing and/or showing....but didn't his "transgressions" come to light just recently? I remember hearing about it, just not exactly when I heard it. Did they say how he "passed away"? Was it by his own hand....or natural causes?

Just wondering on my part. And please don't go into any great details or debate, I got the "jist" of the thread from reading the above posts.

7th Stepper

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, if he'd died a few months ago, it would have been as a hero, and we'd never have heard of all this. Justice involves us knowing before he died.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    /\ This....

He knew about child-abuse happening and did nothing about it. He can rot in hell.

That is entirely false. Joe Pa brought the incidents to the athletic director, as this is policy in most any job (bringing an incident to the next person in your chain of command) Where he was wrong was to not personally bring the incidents to the authorities after the bumbling of the university.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    That is entirely false. Joe Pa brought the incidents to the athletic director, as this is policy in most any job (bringing an incident to the next person in your chain of command) Where he was wrong was to not personally bring the incidents to the authorities after the bumbling of the university.
    And also allowing Sandusky to have a relationship, any relationship, with PSU and allowing him continued access to PSU facilities. Regardless of "policy", this is inexcusable. I think it's fantastic that his achievements are now "tarnished" forever. I don't understand people saying that he was great coach. So what? No longer relevant to me.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Where he was wrong was to not personally bring the incidents to the authorities after the bumbling of the university.

Yep. He's a morally bankrupt sack of **** IMO.

And also allowing Sandusky to have a relationship, any relationship, with PSU and allowing him continued access to PSU facilities. Regardless of "policy", this is inexcusable. I think it's fantastic that his achievements are now "tarnished" forever. I don't understand people saying that he was great coach. So what? No longer relevant to me.

Exactly. I've never been a PSU fan, but I was a long time JoePa fan before this.

He's now dead to me...Wait a sec, that doesn't mean much now.

The Stig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Eastern Greene

Just out of curiousity...

Why would Paterno retain Sandusky as an assistant? Wouldn't he be in an obvious postion to get rid of him?

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Just out of curiousity...

Why would Paterno retain Sandusky as an assistant? Wouldn't he be in an obvious postion to get rid of him?

The call to get rid of Sandusky would be up to the athletic director. The real monster here is Sandusky, not Paterno. Celebrating his death (as he was NOT the molestor) is pretty morbid. Again I feel he should have went to a different police organization (other than campus police) after the botched investigation, but he DID report it, and as such it shouldn't tarnish what he did as a coach. It also is no reason to celebrate his death.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg

Bull****.

He was not interested in stopping it. Here's a man that should and could have fired Sandusky. (and no crap please about how it was up to the AD: At PS, Paterno could get whatever he wanted). And failing the "authorities" not acting, he should have made full and complete use of the local and national media that spent his tenure at PS kissing his ass.

Joe Paterno allowed child molestation to continue for years when he could have used his considerable power to stop it.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Bull****.

He was not interested in stopping it. Here's a man that should and could have fired Sandusky. (and no crap please about how it was up to the AD: At PS, Paterno could get whatever he wanted). And failing the "authorities" not acting, he should have made full and complete use of the local and national media that spent his tenure at PS kissing his ass.

Joe Paterno allowed child molestation to continue for years when he could have used his considerable power to stop it.

I'm not sure what youre basing your assumption of him being "Not interested in stopping it". Joe Pa was not the one doing the molesting, and he reported it to the A.D (who reported it to the campus police). And as I have said twice now I agree he should have went to the local or even state police after campus police failed to act. The media would have been the next option after that, but say what you will about his decision he is still the greatest college football coach of all time.

Top Bottom