• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you recommend for carrying a 1911 while jogging?

• Total voters

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I've spent the past few hours reading up on the most common ways that people carry while jogging (or walking, running, or biking). It looks like the most common suggestions are:

Sources: This thread. I also found similar suggestions on the USCCA forums.

I also found this - Ultimate Compression Concealment Shorts ($70) - which might also work for jogging (as well as let me wear basketball shorts around the house instead of jeans/cargo shorts all the time to support a belt).

Now, as it starts to warm up again and I begin to want to run outdoors instead of on a treadmill, I'm in the market for some way to carry my 1911 while jogging. I simply do not have the funds to buy another, lighter gun, so I've got to find something that works well for what I have.

As I indicated, one INGOer has already documented his experience with an 1911 in the 5.11 holster. Can anybody else chime in with personal experiences on these holsters? I want to avoid buying several by just getting the best option the first time.

ETA - Update!
    I did end up getting a smaller gun and a 5.11 holster shirt. Here's my review of the 5.11 holster shirt.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew_5_11_holster_shirt_for_jogging_carry.html

Last edited:

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Whoops, I noticed you said for a 1911 immediately after I voted for SmartCarry. Your crotch would be mighty sore/bloody from running with a 1911 - so I take that back.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Whoops, I noticed you said for a 1911 immediately after I voted for SmartCarry. Your crotch would be mighty sore/bloody from running with a 1911 - so I take that back.

Haha, yeah I'm not really sure I get how running with a SmartCarry would work well in general, but it sounds like some people find it meets the needs okay. Did you want to change your vote to something else instead?

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    get a smaller/lighter gun! Used a glock 27 in a IWB holster with drawstring shorts. Switched to a LCP with the same setup. MUCH better.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Actually, I have done a decent amount of running with a SmartCarry; however, I was running with a P22 - not a 1911. On one three mile run, I accidentally forgot to wear an undershirt...all that hammer spur "chafing" left me with a pretty nice little wound.

I can't imagine any sort of asymmetric holster being ideal for the situation. Small of back or front and center seem much more ideal, but I think I'd just find a smaller gun for carry if I were you. Or, you could just do your jogging with a Ka-Bar clenched between your teeth.

Haha, yeah I'm not really sure I get how running with a SmartCarry would work well in general, but it sounds like some people find it meets the needs okay. Did you want to change your vote to something else instead?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't know how you guys carry while you jog. When I jog, there's no way I could even attempt to carry. I'm jog way too extreme for that. But if you must, I would suggest carrying a rifle or shotgun. The added weight would improve performance!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I just votes for the OTHER option. so here is my opinion.

DONT RUN WITH A 1911 !!! Are you freeking nutz ??? :)

get a smaller pistol and get an around the waist body holster to keep under your shirt. if you insist on running with a 1911, then you better train for it first. put about 25 pounds worth of weights into a back pack and start running with it for a week and then ad 10 pounds for another week. then strap your 1911 as tight as you can against your torso and still good luck. after a while i bet you decide it sucks and you will carry something smaller to run. or you could get one of those run behind baby strollers to hold your 1911 while you jog behind it??? :)

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    When I go running/jogging I just take a knife with me. I prefer to run with shorts & a sleeveless shirt, which leaves no way of carrying a firearm. Sad to say I actually CC my knife (I usually OC my firearm). My Colt Recon 1 (drop point) does just fine for me. It's always good to have a back-up self defense tool, especially since I live so close to (expletive deleted) state of Illinois.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    When I go running/jogging I just take a knife with me. I prefer to run with shorts & a sleeveless shirt, which leaves no way of carrying a firearm. Sad to say I actually CC my knife (I usually OC my firearm). My Colt Recon 1 (drop point) does just fine for me. It's always good to have a back-up self defense tool, especially since I live so close to (expletive deleted) state of Illinois.

get one of the under shirt around the torso spandex like holsters.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Since I don't own a 1911 I will not vote.

That said, I carry a PM9 in a Smartcarry when I run. Never had a problem. I have also used this set-up to carry a G27, J-frame and P3at. I have settled on the PM9 as a balance of weight, size and power for deep concealment use.

Buckaroo

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I ran with a Glock 22 in a DeSantis Gunhide belly band. I like to wear the minimal clothing when I run, so I don't overheat. As such, I actually wear it as an upper hip, lower belly band. I find it comfortable enough to run in. Most would consider me a thin build. but I don't have a flat stomach. I find the large size works for me, but if you have a small waist and hips, you might want to get the medium. I have both, as I didn't know which one to use.

On one three mile run, I accidentally forgot to wear an undershirt...all that hammer spur "chafing" left me with a pretty nice little wound.

I got this just running half that distance. There was no hammer spur, it was just the exposed end of my Glock slide rubbing up against my skin.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I think it kinda depends on why (how, maybe?) you're jogging..

If you're just kinda getting out to move around, then a fanny pack or Smartcarry would work fine. I've used both.

If you're really gonna be pounding ground for times and stuff, I don't see any carry of a 1911 being real fun. If I was gonna be carrying something that big, I'd be doing it in an openly carried OWB holster, magazines opposite, on a full-size gunbelt. I know more than a few police officers who train this way (generally with older gear, of course) since they know if they're gonna run, they're gonna be doing it with their batbelts on..

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    High Port

Actually if you carry at high port you will be building upper body and arm strength while you jog. Of course this might generate a MWAG call or two! Run faster!! :D

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I know they make a bag/holster you can mount on you bicycle. It Velcros on at three different points on the frame for security. I seen them on L.E.T.N. talking about them. I'll see if I can find out more about them and take a look in GALLS to see if they may carry them.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Got him for ya bud! What did ya end up pickin up as a smaller gun? I was gonna suggest getting a tactic00l leg holster and run forest run!

I was thinking I'd posted that in here, but I guess I didn't! I picked up a P-11 at the March 1500 from Midwest.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom