• ...and so much more!
  • 45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btvSE6tVHzQ&feature=related

Seems he figured out he wasn't one after all.
    iframe%3E

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    And to think I grew up with him and I never had any idea about his political views till just now

Really? The whole REASON he did the movie the Green Beret's was because he was SICK of the way the military was being treated by the long haired hippy types when they returned from Viet Nam. He was always a staunch conservative.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    If you look up an old enough definition of liberal, I think we all would like to be at least somewhat liberal. The old definition is about caring for others and helping those that can't help themselves. Like all political words, it has been co-opted and changed to suit the current need.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you look up an old enough definition of liberal, I think we all would like to be at least somewhat liberal. The old definition is about caring for others and helping those that can't help themselves. Like all political words, it has been co-opted and changed to suit the current need.

The political definition of liberal is to the left of authoritarian governments wherein power is held within a select elite few (monarchies and the people who are governed have no voice in their government or governance (except by violence).

Classical liberalism as it has come to be known (to distinguish it from American liberalism which is entirely different) is exactly what our framers had in mind when they created our Constitution and envisioned our nation: a government of the people, for the people, and by the people. Liberty and equality of rights under the law regardless of social or economic status are hallmarks of classical liberalism.

Liberalism has never been about helping people in the charitable sense.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The [current] political definition of liberal is to the left of authoritarian governments wherein power is held within a select elite few (monarchies and the people who are governed have no voice in their government or governance (except by violence).

Classical liberalism as it has come to be known (to distinguish it from American liberalism which is entirely different) is exactly what our framers had in mind when they created our Constitution and envisioned our nation: a government of the people, for the people, and by the people. Liberty and equality of rights under the law regardless of social or economic status are hallmarks of classical liberalism.

Liberalism has never been about helping people in the charitable sense.

Since I try to make it a personal policy not to "Fix It For Ya", I'll make a suggested change to 88GT's comment.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Since I try to make it a personal policy not to "Fix It For Ya", I'll make a suggested change to 88GT's comment.

Nope, I'm pretty sure liberalism has had the same definition since it become fashionable in Locke's time. However, as it is broad and encompasses so much in such a generic way, "liberty" and "equality of rights" will mean different things to different people. Sometimes to the point that "liberty" is no longer a central theme. :)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Nope, I'm pretty sure liberalism has had the same definition since it become fashionable in Locke's time. However, as it is broad and encompasses so much in such a generic way, "liberty" and "equality of rights" will mean different things to different people. Sometimes to the point that "liberty" is no longer a central theme. :)

OK, I had a feeling my suggestion might not be acceptable. I will say that when John Wayne made that clip, today's "Liberals" were more commonly referred to as "Communists".

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Some truly old-fashioned ideas, too. Note that striking one's wife was considered to be an acceptable means of maintaining household discipline.

Actually, Mrs. Wales loves being spanked, but that line of discussion is not likely acceptable here.;)

Top Bottom