• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm no political philosopher, but if you have to force one guy to help another guy exercise his freedom, it doesn't seem like more freedom is really the end result.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm no political philosopher, but if you have to force one guy to help another guy exercise his freedom, it doesn't seem like more freedom is really the end result.

I think that's one of the issues keeping libertarians out of the mainstream, the "let them die in the streets" rap.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If the top of the ticket is willing to use the coercive power of government to force a Jewish deli owner to cater a Nazi event, why would picking a VP that is for common sense gun control surprise anyone?

Pretty much what I thought.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Unfortunately as a political party we are not immune to unwise decisions.

As much as I never wanted a "purity test" on a local level, I thought it prudent to have a candidate review committee. We never did, but I was very concerned about someone running who might have had a very sordid past or something that could cause us more harm in the public eye. My thinking was it would be better to not have a candidate than to have one that smelled like :poop: to the public.

We also talked about getting people to run who really are libertarians. If someone disagrees on one (1) or two (2) issues I have no problem with that. We all have our own little foibles where we disagree with our church, our political party, or our tribe. On the other hand if someone disagreed with a very large percentage of rights, liberty, and small government issues then they weren't really libertarian - and that is FINE! The issue was that I didn't want them representing our party if they weren't on board with most of our core values.

As a small growing party I have always believed we had to do things twice as good and be twice as sharp just to be taken half as seriously as another olde party candidate. While both democrats and republicans have their own whackjobs on the fringe everyone understands that those are their FRINGE elements. With us, people see a whackjob and they think that is our norm.

I hope that when all is said and done at the end of this next weekend we come out smelling much better than the D's or R's. That is my hope...:tumbleweed:

Regards,

Doug

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    OOOH wait I thought the libertarian party was not relevant anymore?? Darn that's right its still a pointless organization stealing votes away from Trump this November that we need to fight Hillary.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just wait 'til a Libertarian comes out in support of "common sense drug prohibition". That's when the turds will hit the twirler.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you can just convince the dope people that the gun people are right and the gun people that the dope people are right, we could actually live in a lot more freedom.
    - Penn Jillette

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    OOOH wait I thought the libertarian party was not relevant anymore?? Darn that's right its still a pointless organization stealing votes away from Trump this November that we need to fight Hillary.

Libertarian party has never been relevant, you can get back to your Trump thread.

Trump: Favorable/Unfavorable

1.2k Shares

Polling Data

PollDateSampleFavorableUnfavorableSpread
    RCP Average5/6 - 5/19--35.258.0-22.8
    ABC News/Wash Post5/16 - 5/19829 RV4057-17
    CBS News/NY Times5/13 - 5/171109 RV2655-29
    FOX News5/14 - 5/171021 RV4156-15
    PPP (D)5/6 - 5/91222 RV3461-27
    The Economist/YouGov5/6 - 5/82000 A3561-26

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Fundamental flaw of libertarianism is in not understanding that to implement their goals it will require a iron fist approach. Yes, you will have to force people to be free before you can walk away and let nature run its course.

Shutting down social security is not something that would happen quietly nor easily.

More freedom most certainly can be the end result, but the temporary means to get there isn't going to feel good.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    As much as I supported Johnson 4 years ago, he has been just as frustrating this time. The whole cake issue was a big turn off, now going with Weld is bizarre. I don't think disappointed is strong enough word.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Fundamental flaw of libertarianism is in not understanding that to implement their goals it will require a iron fist approach. Yes, you will have to force people to be free before you can walk away and let nature run its course.

Shutting down social security is not something that would happen quietly nor easily.

More freedom most certainly can be the end result, but the temporary means to get there isn't going to feel good.

There are a lot of flaws with libertarianism but that's definitely not one, how exactly do you force people to be free with an iron fist? if people don't want freedom(which they don't), they vote for Trump or Hilary (which they will) and the system keeps going. If enough people voted to elect the libertarian that'd be the mandate. There's no iron fist necessary.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :n00b: If you're not voting for someone that can beat Hillary, you are voting for gun control anyway. You can "feel good" all day long, while she puts in Supreme Court judges that will take away the Second Amendment and legalize aliens that will never allow numbers for us, our kids or our grandkids to win them back again.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    To me, the "litmus test" is simple: Who do you favor having control over issues that affect the individual and not the rights (actual rights, not just beliefs) of others?

If that answer is anything other than the individual person affected, you're not a libertarian.

Hell, I have problems with the new law being described that reportedly goes into effect 10/1, outlawing smoking in a car while children are in the car. I'm very anti-smoking and pro-child. This should be a no-brainer, that people don't smoke in the car with children there, BUT... The car is mine and I speak for my children. How does gov't have any say what happens there? Is this a slippery slope to gov't telling people they cannot smoke in their cars if children will ever be in the car? Or to people not being allowed, for example, to eat red meat in front of their children, for fear of teaching them bad habits?

It's not about purity tests or "I'm more libertarian than you are". It comes down to basic rights and basic, Constitutional limits on government.

Someone who embraces "gun control", which is defined as gov't choosing with what weapons one may be armed, is not libertarian by that metric.

Blessings,
    Bill

Just to play devils advocate, the case could be made that you smoking in your car infringes on your child's rights. It doesn't really matter that it's your child.

Children are not chattel. And it disturbs me that so many "liberty" loving types routinely define them that way - here and elsewhere (note: I am not accusing you of that position, just generally waxing philosophically)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just to play devils advocate, the case could be made that you smoking in your car infringes on your child's rights. It doesn't really matter that it's your child.

Children are not chattel. And it disturbs me that so many "liberty" loving types routinely define them that way - here and elsewhere (note: I am not accusing you of that position, just generally waxing philosophically)

But the Point is...do you (or me) really want the Government to have the Power to tell me (or you) you can't leave your child in a hot car?

Are you saying killing children slowly is morally equivalent to killing them quickly?

Do you really think Laws will prevent this?

And most importantly - why do you hate Liberty so?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    There are a lot of flaws with libertarianism but that's definitely not one, how exactly do you force people to be free with an iron fist? if people don't want freedom(which they don't), they vote for Trump or Hilary (which they will) and the system keeps going. If enough people voted to elect the libertarian that'd be the mandate. There's no iron fist necessary.

You just expressed in your statement exactly why I said what I said. The majority will not vote for freedom, they do not want it and will actively fight against it. The only way to implement it is to forcibly rip away the chains.

People will always vote for safety over liberty.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

You're absolutely correct, and that's why that argument is so troubling to me. See, my child is not chattel, as you put it, but until she turned 18, in the eyes of the law she was an "infant", which is to say that she had no right to speak for herself. This may not be precise, but it's generally accurate. You have to reach your own majority in most cases to exercise your rights for yourself, emancipation notwithstanding. Thus, since she could not, until that time, speak for herself, as her father, I spoke for her, as did her mother. With that in mind, I chose in which car she was or was not allowed to ride. I chose with whom she could associate. I chose what she was allowed to eat or not, and if we were serving big, thick steaks and baked potatoes for supper, she had the choice to eat that or not eat.

As should be obvious, I'm not being literal, nor reciting history as it happened, I'm making the point that it's not government who decided what food we were allowed to feed her, nor her friends, nor the vehicles involved, it was us, her parents. A case could be made that such and such vehicle inherently presented a danger, and thus, a law is needed to forbid children being transported in that vehicle, or that something happened in this specific vehicle (someone smoked last week, no children present at the time) and therefore, as 2nd hand smoke is a danger, the vehicle must be thoroughly detailed, deodorized, and sanitized prior to a child under age X being permitted to even see the vehicle, let alone ride in it. And that doesn't even address the horrors of red meat!

Where, precisely, is the Constitutional authority for the US gov't to define decisions traditionally left to parents?

As to Twangbanger's point, or for that matter, even to yours, if an actual, demonstrable harm has come as a result of someone's action or inaction, then punish that. This does, of course, require that someone must suffer an injury before we, society, can exact our revenge upon the actor who caused it, but the proper approach is education, not punishment.

Your point is well taken. We DO have to consider the child's rights as well. I'm at a loss to say where the line exists that says which decisions a parent is to make, however, and which are the province of government... or if the latter exist at all.

Blessings,
    Bill

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I think George Orwell phrased it similarly: Freedom Is Slavery.

Top Bottom