• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtrent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    I'm looking to get a safe. Which is better. Johnson doesn't fire test his safe but he seems to be using better material. Just looking for the advantage and disadvantage of both.
    Thanks

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    You should go to the next 1500 and talk to them about Johnson Safes. You will probably get sold just like most people who speak to them.

I bought a liberty and it has been great for what I need. If I had to do it again, I would probably want to buy and support the local guys (not Gander).

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You should go to the next 1500 and talk to them about Johnson Safes. You will probably get sold just like most people who speak to them.

I bought a liberty and it has been great for what I need. If I had to do it again, I would probably want to buy and support the local guys (not Gander).
    ^^^^^^^^^this

ImGumbyD@mIt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Lafayette Area
    For what it's worth, I looked at many safes over several years (including Liberty) and ended up going out to Johnson's place and talked to him and checked out his operation and ordered one on the spot. I liked him, liked his safes and liked that he was local and stands behind his products. My dad ended up getting one also...

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I don't know about Liberty safes, but I was able to visit Jeff in his shop in my town with my son and see how he builds my safe. I got to see pics of his family and hear him talk to my son about American ethic.

I'm a proud owner of a Johnson safe. You can get one built any way you want.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm a proud owner of a Johnson safe. You can get one built any way you want.

Except for inexpensive. But, this is definitely not a knock on Jeff and his company. I hope to support his business at some point, but for now, I have a Liberty safe that I got from another INGO member that fulfills my current needs.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I purchased a Liberty and have been extremely satisfied with it and their reputation is great. I got the Fatboy Jr. It replaced a Canon which I was not so impressed with. Their Customer Service left a little to be desired. I considered Johnson, but it really came down to price. I got mine delivered from a gun store in Florida with the upgraded lock, lights, and door storage bag for less than $1200. :twocents:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm not knocking Liberty, but they don't even make safes. They make what is known as an RSC (residential security container). They will keep out the honest and the kids just like my Browning RSC will, but if you want a "Safe" go with Johnson or another manufacturer that makes SAFES...BTW, you can paint any of them any color or pattern you want or even take it to a body shop and have them do it. I've been kicking around the idea of painting mine.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    Well I did loads of research on safes when I bought my Sturdy safe. The safes that you see in the stores. I won't go into which safes.(most) They come in from China, you can buy the a whole crate of safes shipped in. They come with basic hardware or none. These buyers buy these steel boxes with a latch, and they add paint, drywall, and brass hardware and call it a safe. With Drywall it becomes a 1200deg oven and cooks your valuables. They can be cut with a sawzall to open them. Quality is built here in the US. Internal hinges, Hardened steel Bolts all the way around. True Fireproof insulation (Ceramic). Tightly overlapping flush mount door so they cant get a prybar in it. I checked the Johnson website, its made here. I would like to see more about the hinges, bolts, and how the door is laid out. Check out the Sturdy Safe and see pics of burnt safes and safes that have been cut open. I wouldn't count out the Johnson safes I just don't know enough about them. I still any safe is better than no safe. Good Luck

Top Bottom