• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm one of the cool kids now. On a whim I stopped into Columbus Pawn on 31 today. They usually want close to new prices for used stuff, but I couldn't pass up $299 for a NIB 452 Varmint in .22 LR. There are a few idiot marks just in front of the bottom of the buttpad, but I can live with it. There's also a unique hourglass pattern in the right side of the stock. I don't know if there's such a thing as cosmetic 2nds for these, but that's my only idea on why it was $299. Oh well...as much as I like pretty walnut, I buy guns to shoot, not to look at. I can put the difference towards a Vortex Viper 4-14x from Vette.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh620/jrh84/2012-05-14_21-21-53_339.jpg

From what I've read, a rifle basix trigger and DIP base are about standard equipment. Anyone have a lead on a good deal on these? Ideally I'd get them from the same place to save on shipping. Thoughts?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the dip base is only sold by dip as far as i know. egw and uso make bases aswell but ive always used dip. ive also always used rifle basix triggers. your new project has alot of similarities with my personal rimfire. glad my pics could put you over the edge.:D

depending on how big a hurry you are in i might be able to help on the rifle basix. i think i have one that never made it to a rifle laying around in my parts room

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Only thought I have right now is how much I'm angry with you right now. I don't even know you and I'm angry. I've been looking high and low for such a deal. :D

Seriously, great find.

Once I find such a rifle, I only plan on adding new glass. Of course, it will be Vortex. After that, I'm going to adjust that nut that controls the trigger.

Until then, I wouldn't mind following your build. Keep us up to date with any range time and thoughts on the rifle.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Only thought I have right now is how much I'm angry with you right now. I don't even know you and I'm angry. I've been looking high and low for such a deal. :D

Seriously, great find.

Once I find such a rifle, I only plan on adding new glass. Of course, it will be Vortex. After that, I'm going to adjust that nut that controls the trigger.

Until then, I wouldn't mind following your build. Keep us up to date with any range time and thoughts on the rifle.

One of the better deals I've come across...even better since I've been eyeing one for a few weeks. I'll put it between my Sports Authority $50 Cricket .22 find a few years back and Cabela's $199 SKS deal last fall.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Nice!!! I too just picked up a 425.... but mine is a ultra lux and it is freaking sweet! congrats, and I hope yours shoots as well as mine!

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    These are fine weapons.I have owned two or three excellent CZ rifles.It makes me sad to know that the best option for a very accurate bolt action smallbore rifle has to come from Europe.Back in the 30s-1950s,the American gunmakers were producing these.We had High School shooting teams....How did we come to this sad state of affairs?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    CZ Trigger

Just a thought on the 452 trigger. I've got 3 of them and they all have a Brooks trigger kit. Brooks has become hard to find but the current trigger improvement of choice is called a Yo Dave trigger kit. Same/same. The kit has several springs and roll pins which are very easy to install. The pins determine sear engagement and the springs determine pull weight. My 452 Trainer's trigger is the only one I've actually had checked. It's right at 16 oz.

Whittakers used to have Brooks kits. Last I knew they were about $10.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've used the yo Dave kit. It's a definate improvement, especially on pull weight but its not as crisp as the riflebasix. But its about 10% of the price aswell

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Good buy on the CZ. I own a half dozen or so CZs and they all SHOOT!!! I did the PMTJ (Poor Mans Trigger Job) on my rifles and have done a few other things to get rid of some of the creep in the triggers. This site will offer loads of info on CZs and their use. :yesway:

CZ / Brno - RimfireCentral.com Forums

PS; I wish ppl would quit talkin about how great CZs are! They are getting to popular and prices are going up. :cool:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Good buy on the CZ. I own a half dozen or so CZs and they all SHOOT!!! I did the PMTJ (Poor Mans Trigger Job) on my rifles and have done a few other things to get rid of some of the creep in the triggers. This site will offer loads of info on CZs and their use. :yesway:

CZ / Brno - RimfireCentral.com Forums

PS; I wish ppl would quit talkin about how great CZs are! They are getting to popular and prices are going up. :cool:

ive noticed that, mine started shooting 5 inch groups at 50yds all the sudden, are your doing that aswell colt:D

sdman11890

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Highland
    Anybody used the Timney trigger for the 452? I just scored one NIB for about half of retail. I know I need to inlet the stock, but wondering if anyone uses one of these.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Anybody used the Timney trigger for the 452? I just scored one NIB for about half of retail. I know I need to inlet the stock, but wondering if anyone uses one of these.

i have shot with a timney before, and im not a huge fan. trigger pull is great i just cant get usto the small trigger shoe. my experiance was on a 700 so the 452 might be diffrent.

i put a rifle basix trigger in every rifle i own. they are my go to company

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    ive noticed that, mine started shooting 5 inch groups at 50yds all the sudden, are your doing that aswell colt:D

I haven't measured any of my groups but most, if I do my part, are around .5-.75" I guess. I have noticed that I will almost always get one shot out of 5 that will be separated from the other 4. It is never the same shot either, sometimes the 1st or the 2nd or the 3rd, etc. I'd have some nice groups if I can get that one shot to join his buddies. :dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I haven't measured any of my groups but most, if I do my part, are around .5-.75" I guess. I have noticed that I will almost always get one shot out of 5 that will be separated from the other 4. It is never the same shot either, sometimes the 1st or the 2nd or the 3rd, etc. I'd have some nice groups if I can get that one shot to join his buddies. :dunno:

i was making a joke on your comment about people liking them so much the price is going up. reported bad groups make up popular rifles.

sdman11890

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Highland
    The first time I was out with mine, my cousin shot a 3/4" group at 100 yards... Probably a fluke, but still damn impressive. My personal best is about 1.5" at 100.

Top Bottom