• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    I had always thought that "Jewish" applied both ways? You can be a Jew by religion (including a convert who is not ethnically Jewish) or you can be born to a family that in some fashion traces its lineage back to the twelve sons of Jacob AKA Israel. Obviously in times past this would have been literal (i.e. they whip out the genealogy from today back to then) but I was given to understand that the old logbooks were long since destroyed and so it's generally much more about claiming the lineage than proving it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I had always thought that "Jewish" applied both ways? You can be a Jew by religion (including a convert who is not ethnically Jewish) or you can be born to a family that in some fashion traces its lineage back to the twelve sons of Jacob AKA Israel. Obviously in times past this would have been literal (i.e. they whip out the genealogy from today back to then) but I was given to understand that the old logbooks were long since destroyed and so it's generally much more about claiming the lineage than proving it.

I've actually had a conversation with my friend subsequent to when I first started this thread, and to Jewish people, yes, Judaism is a nationality in addition to being a religion. Israel considers every Jewish person as a citizen (unofficially), with the right to officially become one... Law of Return, I think it was called.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've actually had a conversation with my friend subsequent to when I first started this thread, and to Jewish people, yes, Judaism is a nationality in addition to being a religion. Israel considers every Jewish person as a citizen (unofficially), with the right to officially become one... Law of Return, I think it was called.

I think it's worth getting an Orthodox Jew's perspective. Probably not many notable figures more Orthodox than Ben Shapiro. Don't let the title fool you. It's mostly about antisemitism of the left and people on the left coming unhinged over Trump's EO on classification of Jews as a nationality. You can skip through until he gets talking about the EO. The first part is about the non-coverage about a non-white supremacist antisemitic attack in NY. Then he gets into the EO.

[video=youtube_share;tNEtIyZr1Mo]http://youtu.be/tNEtIyZr1Mo[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's kind of like trying to make Hispanic into a race. Years ago I did my masters' internship for a major health-oriented non-profit. One of my jobs was to pull the US census data into a report. I was to take the census data for Northern Indiana and categorize it under the following races: Caucasian, Negro, Hispanic, Asian, Hawaiian/Pacific island, Alaskan/Native American, and Other. Except the "race" of Hispanic did not exist because it refers to the language that someone speaks. Hispanics can be any race. The majority in this area are Caucasian, even though they themselves may not identify as 'white'. I advised my supervisor that they were asking the impossible, and I was told that the last intern didn't have a problem with it. When I refused to randomly assign people to the "Hispanic" race just because it was on the form, I lost a big chunk of my grade.

"Hispanic" isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. So if your form categorized it as race/ethnicity would it have been okay? Ethnicity, for practical purposes is like race, except it's more like a heritage that doesn't necessarily have a genetic lineage like races do. That's all race is really, genetic heritage. Jews are a race; they share a common ancestry. They're also an ethnicity. They're also a nationality. I don't see that checking the Hispanic box is randomly assigning people. It's not arbitrary. It's well defined. It's not really assigning an ancestral heritage. For the purposes that people/governments care enough about race to make categories, categorizing "Hispanic" fits within that purpose. But I think most "Hispanics" don't really like the term. They seem to prefer to call themselves "Latino/Latina", at least if their heritage is from this hemisphere. Even Latino/Latina isn't actually a race.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Hispanic" isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. So if your form categorized it as race/ethnicity would it have been okay? Ethnicity, for practical purposes is like race, except it's more like a heritage that doesn't necessarily have a genetic lineage like races do. That's all race is really, genetic heritage. Jews are a race; they share a common ancestry. They're also an ethnicity. They're also a nationality. I don't see that checking the Hispanic box is randomly assigning people. It's not arbitrary. It's well defined. It's not really assigning an ancestral heritage. For the purposes that people/governments care enough about race to make categories, categorizing "Hispanic" fits within that purpose. But I think most "Hispanics" don't really like the term. They seem to prefer to call themselves "Latino/Latina", at least if their heritage is from this hemisphere. Even Latino/Latina isn't actually a race.

Didn't "Hispanic" originally refer to people from Hispaniola (now split into Haiti and the Dominican Republic)? Which I believe were predominantly black? Or am I mistaken about that?

Top Bottom