• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was watching Judge Judy yesterday and she had a case in front of her where a father had died. One daughter got all the guns and so on and so forth. Another daughter wanted some of the guns stating they were sintimental. Now Judge Jusy gets 99.99% of it right but she missed here. She said guns have no sintinental value. I know she isn't a big gun person as I've watched the show enough to kind of get that.
    But guns can be very sintimental. My cousin gave me and my twin brother a JC Higgins bolt action 410 when I was younger (20's) and said who ever has the first boy gets this. Well I had the first boy. I took that gun and refinished the stock, re-blued the barrel w/gold inlay in the lettering and had the bolt tooled. Looked good for what it was. Later on my brother wanted to 'show' the gun to some buddies. He got divorced in about 6 months and when he was done moving her out I asked about the gun. He told me she took it with her. I've never seen it again. I'd bet my life he sold it. Anyway, it was just an old 410, but I know my Uncle gave it to mt cousin and he give it to us and now my son has a son and he should have had that gun. Don't cry yet, I've never gotten over that gun, forgive, yep, forget that gun, nope. It had sintimental valuse as far as I'm concerned.

Any other stories out there (the don't have to be train wrecks)

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I know exactly how you mean sig-sweet. Most of my long guns are what we refer to in the family as herloom guns. They were peices that my father gave to me with the understanding that they were to never be sold, unless dire straits, and to be passed on down the line. Well all of them are not real collectable peices but they all mean more to me than any of my own collection which is quite a bit more expensive. Too bad there are no sons to pass them on to. Oh well, I hope my daughter will have the love of guns that my father instilled in me and my brother.
    Incedentally my first gun was a bolt action 410. Excellent squirl getter.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I think the great unwashed masses out there have no idea about the sentimental associations that come with guns for those of us raised with them. The 870 that Santa Claus brought me for my 12th Christmas, the Win 97 that my Dad used to hunt with as a young man that I ended up with. I also ended up withe Kentucky long rifle that has been in the family since at least the Civil War era. There are some guns that I would never give up.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I still have my grandpa's 2 .22's his 22 hornet/410 ga, and his 20 ga. Dad has never been real interested in guns. So when grandpa passed I got them. I plan on passing them down to my kids someday as well when I have some. Esp if I have a son. I wouldn't trade any one of them for anything. They mean the world to me. Especially since if it weren't for grandpa I wouldn't be here today, I would of drowned in a wagon of corn at the age of 8.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    The hubby has an old enfield that his dad used, when hubby was old enough, "Dad" engraved his name and the date he had gotten it then engraved hubbies name and the date it was given to him on the stock. Yes ruined the value as soon as he did that. No amount of money will ever replace that gun though. Our son will get it and have his name engraved when it is his time to have it.
    Right now it is in the safe and is rarely used, cleaned and taken care, just rarely used.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have my Grandfathers single shot .22 rifle and I wouldn't sell it for the world. That old gun is probably 60 years old and is as accurate as h*ll. I do watch her show and enjoy it but she's an anti gun liberal PIG as far as I'm concerned.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My first gun was a .410 too. It was passed on to me from my Grandpa when I was 11. He gave one of my uncles a H&R break barrel 20ga, another uncle a 1933 Belgian made Browning Sweet 16 (wish I got that one!) and me the Ithica Model 66 Supersingle .410. Shot my first rabbit and squirrel with that gun and still occasionally carry it into the woods. It just happened that the .410 was the one he was carrying when he got shot in a hunting accident, caught a #7.5 12ga in the face and chest at about 10yds and lived to tell the tale. All of these guns will stay in the family.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I just recieved, from my dad, my grandads old Model 11 Remington. From what I've seen at gunshows etc. I'm going to spend more on reblueing, refinishing the stock, etc. than the gun is monetarily worth but it was grandads and I feel obligated to preserve it. I also own a 1917 Eddystone that I bought because my dad had one when I was a kid. He really enjoyed seeing it a couple of weeks ago. Although not THE one it still has sentimental value.

PS, Judge Judy is one of those people that could get hit by a train and the world would instantly improve just a little!!!:rofl:

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    What right does she have to say something isn't sentimental? She has no history with this case!

1 a : marked or governed by feeling, sensibility, or emotional idealism b : resulting from feeling rather than reason or thought

I see nothing there about placing any kind of 3rd party value on sentimental things.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I put a lot of sentimental value in my guns. I am the oldest born in male in my family. So I have gotten several guns. I own 6 Rem. 1100's and 5 Rem 870's, but there is no way I could sell any. I just get them out about every 6 months and give them a good once over and sometimes blow some dust out the barrel. BTW not a big Judge Judy fan, but I would not mind cashing just one of her checks a year.....

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The monkey is displeased with the insult to...well...monkeys.

I can understand that. Miss IBTL is far, far better looking, handles the 1911 far better, and besides, Sarah Brady's firearm looks more like this:

preview_125_93.jpg

Blessings,
    Bill

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    Is anyone EVER justified in saying someone ELSE's sentimentality is misplaced?

That is arrogance.
    Exactly why I don't watch Judge Judy and never will. She epitomizes the whole stereotype of people who abuse their power and think they are better than everyone else and right all of the time. I can't stand those people one bit.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Dang, dude, are you blind??
    Sorry Annie. Obviously he doesn't see too well.
    Any fool can tell that's Janet Reno....

Bada ching!!

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week!!!!
    .:ingo:

Top Bottom