• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Of course the 5th covers it. Regardless of what some robe bedecked Nazgul says. I'd refuse to do it. Especially if there were evidence on it. Let them get it out. It's not the defendants place to prove the prosecutions case.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Of course the 5th covers it. Regardless of what some robe bedecked Nazgul says. I'd refuse to do it. Especially if there were evidence on it. Let them get it out. It's not the defendants place to prove the prosecutions case.

this.

EDIT: The judge ordered her to produce a decrypted hard drive. I'd bring them one that was demagnetized. Can't have encrypted data if it's got no data.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think perhaps there is no 5th amendment defense because of this (last line of the article)"

The judge ordered Fricosu to surrender an unencrypted hard drive by Feb. 21. The judge added that the government is precluded “from using Ms. Fricosu’s act of production of the unencrypted hard drive against her in any prosecution.”

I haven't read the links to the order yet, but it appears the government may want the info to prosecute others, not her.

IIRC the government can also immunize you against prosecution and then legally force you to testify against others. If you don't, off to jail for contempt of court. This may be a similar situation.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Hold it.

How is this covered by the fifth? If my paper files are ordered by a judge I have to surrender them, correct? I can't refuse to hand over evidence that might incriminate me, I can only refuse to make statements that incriminate me.

If I had my files locked in a vault that couldn't be breached, couldn't I be ordered to reveal the combination? How is this a violation of the Fifth Amendment?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hold it.

How is this covered by the fifth? If my paper files are ordered by a judge I have to surrender them, correct? I can't refuse to hand over evidence that might incriminate me, I can only refuse to make statements that incriminate me.

If I had my files locked in a vault that couldn't be breached, couldn't I be ordered to reveal the combination? How is this a violation of the Fifth Amendment?

But if they're written in Swahili, do you have to translate them too?

THAT is really what they're asking. They HAVE the data. They just can't figure out how to read it. Why should she be forced to help them to prosecute her?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    But if they're written in Swahili, do you have to translate them too?

THAT is really what they're asking. They HAVE the data. They just can't figure out how to read it. Why should she be forced to help them to prosecute her?

I definitely get your point. It's drawn pretty fine, but I get it. I think that's a reasonable argument.

Top Bottom