• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In North Carolina their Supreme's have decided that people who've finished their sentences for crimes should get their rights back. Other states should take notice and act accordingly.

RALEIGH, N.C. — The North Carolina Supreme Court says a 2004 law that bars convicted felons from having a gun, even within their own home or business, is unconstitutional.
    The state's high court ruled Friday in the case of Barney Britt of Wake County that the General Assembly went too far five years ago when it toughened restrictions on felons owning guns as part of a broad anti-domestic-violence bill.
    The rest is at the source.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It could be done on a case by case basis.
    Britt must not been committing his drug offense with use of firearms or violence of any kind. Otherwise, the risk of allowing him to possess would be to great.

Heck for all I know he might have gotten the 3 years for a trivial amount of grass. SC probably has strict penalties for that kind of thing.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    YAY I firmly believe in this. They served there time and should no longer be punished. If they are too dangerous to own a gun then they should not be let out of jail.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I would agree in principle. But, there are just waaaaaay too many repeat offenders out there.

How many times have we heard about the sad cases where a revolving-door criminal finally does somebody in. We always say that the system should have put them away before they did something like this. If the justice system would stick to long, hard sentences for violent crimes, I would be for this new ruling.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Anyone who can't be trusted with a gun can't be trusted without a custodian. - David Codrea
    David has summed this exact issue up succinctly over the years and he's dead on. Either the "bad guys" should be dealt with by their victims at the time of the crime, they should be locked up for good or they should be followed night and day by a custodian.
    If someone has "paid their debt to society" then they should be welcomed back. Continually punishing them just drives them back into their previous life and is against everything we supposedly stand for.

David Workman weighs in on this issue, quite well. So do the commenters.

ETA: Upon release we restore al their other rights under the Bill of Rights. Why not the 2nd?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    odds are if someone has evil intentions for a gun, they wont stroll down to a gun shop and fill out the paperwork linking them to said gun.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    ETA: Upon release we restore al their other rights under the Bill of Rights. Why not the 2nd?

A guy I grew up with did a few years up in Michigan City , after he got out he did a few more in Marion county . Now at 44 , he's still a knucklehead !

Having lived in Fountain square , I've known plenty of idiots who for whatever reason just can't keep themselves out of trouble .

IMO , given their propensity for screwing up , I don't think they should have legal access to firearms .

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    The same could be said of many non-criminal gun owners. So what?

He's saying that there are quite a few knucklehead non-criminal gun owners in the U.S. who, if they had to pass a knowledge and/or skills test, probably shouldn't be allowed to carry for their and the public's safety.

Common sense isn't common.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    He's saying that there are quite a few knucklehead non-criminal gun owners in the U.S. who, if they had to pass a knowledge and/or skills test, probably shouldn't be allowed to carry for their and the public's safety.

Common sense isn't common.

Gotcha :yesway: . Thats' my public education at work . Can't argue with that .

Top Bottom