• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I know this has probably already been asked and I appologize in advance, but I heard rumor that on July 1st you will be able to conceal your handgun in your POV no matter what the company policy is. Anyone else hear this?

mlang2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    So... should I tell my employer, or let them find out on their own?

I'm sure my Washington D.C. based HR department will have a fit either way!

I plan to send out an office-wide "Happy bring your firearms to work day" email on 7/1. :yesway:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I plan to send out an office-wide "Happy bring your firearms to work day" email on 7/1. :yesway:

You may want to reconsider this. Indiana is still a right to work state so if your company is anti-gun they can fire you for another reason. Remember unless you know that their is no chance of loosing your job don't talk about guns at work.

mlang2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    You may want to reconsider this. Indiana is still a right to work state so if your company is anti-gun they can fire you for another reason. Remember unless you know that their is no chance of loosing your job don't talk about guns at work.

They've known I carry for over a decade. I doubt they'll start caring now.

Besides, I was planning to do it a bit more comical. I was thinking something like:
    "In an ongoing effort to reduce layoffs in Indiana, the governor has decided disgruntled employees should be within seconds of their own personal arsenal..."

:laugh:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    They've known I carry for over a decade. I doubt they'll start caring now.

Besides, I was planning to do it a bit more comical. I was thinking something like:
    "In an ongoing effort to reduce layoffs in Indiana, the governor has decided disgruntled employees should be within seconds of their own personal arsenal..."

:laugh:

That wouldn't be comical even if typed in purple text. It jsut sounds like a rehash of the liberal argument against the new law. You might want to put a little more thought into it.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    You'd have to know the audience to get it.

Small business environment? Or at least small office branch? Or are you the boss?

I get the impression that you've already made sure that it won't get you into trouble and that it won't be deemed inappropriate or whatever. I'm just wondering what your situation is.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I dont get why anyone was in "danger" of having their company search their vehicle in the first place.

mlang2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Small business environment? Or at least small office branch? Or are you the boss?

I get the impression that you've already made sure that it won't get you into trouble and that it won't be deemed inappropriate or whatever. I'm just wondering what your situation is.

An office of maybe 18, only one that I answer to, and all would get a kick out of it. I would hate to work in an environment where I had to second guess anything I said beforehand. Maybe I’m spoiled by my coworkers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    mlang2000

i still wouldn't do it, all it takes is one accidental click to send to the wrong person
    or if you **** the wrong person off.....
    let's be a bit more mature about this.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I dont get why anyone was in "danger" of having their company search their vehicle in the first place.

For many companies, it's simply a term of employment if you park on their property.

There is no "danger" except losing your job if you don't comply.

Legally, you could always opt to drive away and be unemployed.

mlang2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    mlang2000

i still wouldn't do it, all it takes is one accidental click to send to the wrong person
    or if you **** the wrong person off.....
    let's be a bit more mature about this.

Speaking of maturity, maybe we shouldn't make veiled attempts at calling someone childish or roll play ourselves as some sort of Nostradamus and accept the fact that we have no idea what a group of people we don't know in an environment we've never been to find funny unless we've been a member of said group for over a decade. :cool:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Last week, we had some 'respectful workplace' training here at work. Part of that was a rehash of the workplace violence policy, including the 'no weapons' bullet point. The HR manager made it a point to say that we weren't going to discuss the 7/1 change in the law. After the training, I called her on it and spent a few minutes discussing it individually. Apparently, there are injunctions in the works to try to stop it. She said our company attorney was involved with some other businesses and the Indiana Manufacturing Association (I think). I grilled her pretty hard, and she's clearly anti, so I'm sure that I need to keep a low profile now. Let me just post some more on INGO from work, then.

mlang2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I wonder if they'll have another talk after 7/1 or just pretend nothing has changed. We apparently don't have a violence policy or a gun policy at this office. We rely on the "don't break any laws" way of doing things.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Not all workplaces are covered on the 7/1 change. Some manufacturing, and chemical related companies can still fire you over it. Again, it's not illegal to do so, but you may be unemployed.

We're all big boys and girls here I think. If somebody wants to send a email to thier office that's fine. A fair warning should be expected as there is some risk, however much or little at sending an email like that. But it's up to the sender to decide what to send. After all, I get to choose my own healthcare right? Not like big bad gubberment is going to choose what's good enough for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Speaking of maturity, maybe we shouldn't make veiled attempts at calling someone childish or roll play ourselves as some sort of Nostradamus and accept the fact that we have no idea what a group of people we don't know in an environment we've never been to find funny unless we've been a member of said group for over a decade. :cool:

We're not discussing me. We are being given a huge + to our rights. Let's not go an mess it up and give ourselves a - to the sheep.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    It's just like the debate of CC versus OC.... do you want to announce it to the world or just do it (continue to do it) quietly.

I prefer to remain low key, partly because of the other argument - if they decide it bothers them enough, they can and will find other ways to run you off. But also because I don't like in-your-face politics, identity, or religion, so I try not to do the same to others.

Top Bottom