• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you carry if you had to travel this road?

• Total voters

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I thought of this the other day when I went to visit my uncle. His road is the state line between IN and OH. The line is right down the center of the road.

While travelling south you're clearly in IN, but while travelling north you're either across the center-line (not a huge deal on a country road) or you're travelling in OH.

Is there some special way these situations are handled?

Assuming you don't have a permit that allows you to carry in OH, would you carry or not?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    no. it's a felony in ohio to have a loaded firearm in a car with out a permit and even with a permit there are strict way you have to carry it. Why not just take a conceal carry class and apply for a Utah/Florida permit.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Who maintains the highway, Ohio or Indiana? There is undoubtedly an agreement between the two states somewhere. Both sides of the actual road may be jurisdiction of one state or the other, it's kind of hard to only pave one side of the road.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    If you are traveling from a state where you can legally carry to another state where you can legally carry you can pass through any state as long as the gun is locked and in a trunk. If youre saying would I drive to ohio armed with only an IN permit... no.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    If you must carry...when and if you get pulled over, pull over to the left instead of the right. Or...just drive with your gun pointed out the window across the yellow line but remember to pull it in when big trucks come by. (JK) It might be better to get a Florida permit. That is my next project.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I was under the impression that roads on a state line are "neutral ground" between the states.....as long as you don't turn off that road into ohio it should be ok.....

To be safe though, I would contact indiana state police on this issue, that would hopefully clear that up for sure

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Do you mean jurisdictionally, CB?
    Yes, that is exactly what I mean?

Is it treated as the territory of both states? So the laws of both states must be followed at the same time?

Is it divided down the middle? So you have to follow different laws depending on which side of the road you're on.

Or is it "neutral ground", whereas you're ok as long as you're within the laws of one of the states?

Top Bottom