• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    [URL="http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120216/ARTICLE/120219626/2416/NEWS?Title=Juror-jailed-over-Facebook-friend-request&tc=ar]Juror jailed over Facebook friend request [/URL]

Dumb Jock Facebook friends defendant. Dumb Jock is excused from jury duty. Dumb Jock brags about it on Facebook. Dumb Jock is called by the judge an "insidious threat to the erosion of democracy" for not caring about his civic duty. Dumb Jock gets three days in jail.

Personally, I think he got off too easy.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is dumb.

Being a juror should be strictly 100% voluntary.

A person who doesn't want to be there, should not have to look for excuses to "get out of it."

Let them raise their hand and be excused. It will save everyone time and aggravation. And less wasted space in a jail cell over a retarded offense.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I thought Jury duty IS voluntary. If you register to vote, you volunteer for duty? isn't that right?

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

The judge called him a threat to the erosion of democracy?? That sounds like a good thing to me.

And please, no lectures on democracy vs. republic vs. communism vs. etc.

That's not my point!

:D

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    jury duty has been derided for so long people don't know what the concept is about. They should be blessed they live in a country that allows trials by jury instead of single judge rule. If I'm ever on a jury I want reasonable people there, not the schmucks so I'll show up and do what I can for others.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    With rights, come responsibilities.
    If you wish to live in a country with a jury system, then you should be ready.
    If you can "raise your hand" to get out of it, then everyone else has to carry the load for you.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    If you are registered to vote or own property (land) you are eligible to be in the jury pool. You are in the pool for a year and if you get called but not seated on the jury they can call you again. If you are not seated on a jury you are eligible to be on the list next year.
    Been there, called but not seated. Was not on the next years list though.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    This is dumb.

Being a juror should be strictly 100% voluntary.

A person who doesn't want to be there, should not have to look for excuses to "get out of it."

Let them raise their hand and be excused. It will save everyone time and aggravation. And less wasted space in a jail cell over a retarded offense.
    :yesway:

I wouldn't want people on my jury if they had no desire to be there. Don't see any good that could come from it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    jury duty has been derided for so long people don't know what the concept is about. They should be blessed they live in a country that allows trials by jury instead of single judge rule. If I'm ever on a jury I want reasonable people there, not the schmucks so I'll show up and do what I can for others.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    The trick is to tell them that you're prejudiced against all races.

3702_homerlook1_vote.gif

Seriously though, I've only been called for jury duty once, and I guess the "suspect" pled out, because I was later told I didn't have to go. :dunno: I was fully intent on going to jury duty, and performing to the best of my abilities if chosen. If I'm ever put on trial, I wouldn't want the only people on the jury to be the ones who "weren't smart enough to get out of it." :twocents:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I recently returned a third questionnaire, and have been called once. I guess I'm too objective to be kept, as I was released in the first seating last time. At least it didn't take too long. I shudder to think of facing a jury trial with the schmucks they'll keep, but not quite as much as a bench trial with some of the judges we have. Those are some scary people.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I sat on the jury for two criminal trails. The first was four idiots that robbed a vacuum cleaner store of all things. Two accused the other two of committing the robbery so they had to separate the defendates. Two had their own lawyers and two shared a lawyer. It was one objection after another. We finally convicted them all. The other was a guy accused of dealing drugs. His lawyer was stupid and put him on the stand. When questioned by the prosecutor the guy said his coke spoon was "to feed his tropical fish with", I nearly laughed out loud in court. The police sent in another "informant" to make the buy. I have often thought if the guy's lawyer had used the entrapment defense, I would have had to reconsider finding him guilty. Maybe he got a smarter lawyer for the appeal. Serving on the jury was very interesting. Would I volunteer to do it again? No, but if called I would serve. By the way, two people apparently had figured how to get out of jury duty. When questioned if she believed everyone was innocent until proven guilty, the woman sitting next to me (who had a tee time) responded "they arrested him didn't they?", she was gone in a flash. The old farmer just sat there when questioned, finally when the the question had been repeated the third time, he leaned forward, cupped his ear and loudly said "WHAT?". He was gone pretty quick too.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How about the part where he contacted defendant? That's breaking the law. Rem788 just mentioned 2 people who got out of it. A few others have been mentioned. But they didn't BREAK THE LAW.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    my step-father was on a jury for a medical malpractice trial. It was clear the doctor did nothing inappropriate or wrong, just an unfortunate turn of events. Several jury members wanted to ask the judge if there was a way they could find the doctor not guilty but still give the guy some money because they felt bad for him. *shudder*

Top Bottom