• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    This morning I made my way to the Starke County Court House for Jury duty.... or actually jury selection. i was in the first group of 13 in the jury box for questioning, i was dismissed no reason given. but i was glad for opportunity to serve however small of a part it ended up being.

All of us on here are patriots who love this country despite its flaws, and we get heated and say stuff maybe be shouldnt and maybe we are too critical of our nation at times, sometimes obviously its deserved.

but as i sat there this morning going through the process it just reminded me that despite all the bad stuff we still have the best system and country in the world.

thanks for listening

jake

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I was called for jury selection a couple months ago for a shooting, self defense vs attempted murder. I too was in the first 12 selected for questioning. They asked me if I had a gun, how many were in my household and if I believed in self defense.

Needless to say I don't think the prosecutor liked my answers so I wasn't chosen to be on the jury. I'm sure it didn't help that I also admitted to going to the range the previous day. I would have liked to have been on the jury just to help the guy get a fair trial. In the end the jury did decide that it was self defense.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I was called for jury selection a couple months ago for a shooting, self defense vs attempted murder. I too was in the first 12 selected for questioning. They asked me if I had a gun, how many were in my household and if I believed in self defense.

Needless to say I don't think the prosecutor liked my answers so I wasn't chosen to be on the jury. I'm sure it didn't help that I also admitted to going to the range the previous day. I would have liked to have been on the jury just to help the guy get a fair trial. In the end the jury did decide that it was self defense.

i was never asked anything like that. the only thing i can think of, was it was pretty easy to determine who the defendant was even tho he was in a suite like everyone else...... maybe i looked at him the wrong way

jake

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I was selected for jury duty on a child molestation case.

After the trial, we learned that the bastard had been offered multiple plea deals which he refused to take.

The bastard should have taken the plea. The evidence against him was OVERWHELMING.

We nailed to bastard to the wall.

If the bastard does everything right, the least amount of time he will serve will be 38 years. The bastard was 45 when he was sentenced. My guess is we will not be hearing from this bastard again.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011

After the trial, we learned that the bastard had been offered multiple plea deals which he refused to take.

The bastard should have taken the plea. The evidence against him was OVERWHELMING.

If the bastard does everything right, the least amount of time he will serve will be 38 years. The bastard was 45 when he was sentenced. My guess is we will not be hearing from this bastard again.

Half time released on Good Behavior. They don't want to violate a pedophiles civil rights....

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Half time released on Good Behavior. They don't want to violate a pedophiles civil rights....

Actually the half time off will not apply to this bastard due to the ages of the children involved.

Like I said, if the bastard does EVERYTHING right the least amount of time it will serve will be 38.

My guess is that he will be eliminated before then.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Actually the half time off will not apply to this bastard due to the ages of the children involved.

Like I said, if the bastard does EVERYTHING right the least amount of time it will serve will be 38.

My guess is that he will be eliminated before then.

i hope so

jake

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Good for you for having the decency to show up! I, too, was selected to be on the jury for child molesting case, and out of, I think 60 people who were summoned, only 20 something of us showed up. After dismissing some, we were two people short of a full jury, and the trial was moved to another date. I never got to hear the trial itself.

It was a fascinating experience.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Good for you for having the decency to show up! I, too, was selected to be on the jury for child molesting case, and out of, I think 60 people who were summoned, only 20 something of us showed up. After dismissing some, we were two people short of a full jury, and the trial was moved to another date. I never got to hear the trial itself.

Amazing that no one showed up. Here you get a warrant if you dont fill out the paper they send you cant imagine if you didnt show up

Jake

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The bastard should have taken the plea. The evidence against [STRIKE]him[/STRIKE] THE BASTARD was OVERWHELMING.

Oops, you missed a sentance...FIFY

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I was selected for a murder trial in Franklin IN. We were scheduled for three weeks sequestered. The trial was wrapped in two weeks

The citizens selected were not reimbursed for lost wages and believe me you don't serve for monetary gain. My fellow citizens never complained and did their duty.

I appreciated the opportunity to serve and found the procedure very educational.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I was selected for a murder trial in Franklin IN. We were scheduled for three weeks sequestered. The trial was wrapped in two weeks

The citizens selected were not reimbursed for lost wages and believe me you don't serve for monetary gain. My fellow citizens never complained and did their duty.

I appreciated the opportunity to serve and found the procedure very educational.

I was hoping to see it all the way through myself. The sad truth is "court" is just what ive seen on law and order....... i'd like to understand the system better

Jake

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

It would have been a sickening experience had you been seated for the trial. I've been called for jury duty a handful of times but only seated once. It was a child molestation case on a 4y/o.

I think I'd rather see 30 years worth of a serial killer's blood and gore evidence than have to listen to the details of another single child molestation case.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    More boring resulting in a lower opinion of human nature.

True! I have a selfish reason also. I just finished a 83K word rough draft for my first novel and have several others going/ or ideas and some involve some brief court scenes and seeing it in real life would have been helpful.

Is that bad?

Jake

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    True! I have a selfish reason also. I just finished a 83K word rough draft for my first novel and have several others going/ or ideas and some involve some brief court scenes and seeing it in real life would have been helpful.

Is that bad?

Jake

Shoot, no.

But from the juror's perspective, I got a better education on the laziness and selfishness of the government employee than I did of the trial process. ;)

You could frame your novel around that perhaps?

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I served as an alternate juror in a murder trial 25 or 30yrs ago. Fortunately my place of work paid my wages up to 40yrs a week while I served. It was fascinating for me and I got my eyes and ears full. There was no room in the jury box for me and since it was a murder trial they didn't want me to sit out in the courtroom. The baliff put a chair almost directly behind the witness box and I could hear everything that went on when the defense att. or the prosecutor talked to the judge. I could also see anything they gave to the witness to examine or presented to the judge. I also learned that stupid people can be convicted of accessory to murder and be used as a witness to try and prove a defendant was guilty of murder. Never did figure out how one can be convicted of being an accessory to a crime that hasn't been proven. The only fun part was listening to all the excuses people came up with to try and get out of jury duty.:laugh:

Top Bottom