• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    If your dog goes out the yard, take the time to make sure it is secure to where they can't get out.

Today, coming out of my house, I seen a dog running loose and a lady trying to catch it. I chased it around Whiting for about 15 minutes and eventually got the dog to her owner.

To some people, including me, they're dogs mean a lot to them. I wouldn't want to see one get hit by a car or something. Secure the yards people.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    My mother called me very upset last night. She was on 10th st in Jeffersonville and saw a large dog not only get hit, but thrown 15 feet in the air. Someone lost a good pet.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Invisible fence is the way to go!

Years ago we were going to set up an invisible fence so I tried it out before putting it on the dog. If your dog really wants to cross the line, it will. We had the thing on the highest setting and it was just starting to become uncomfortable. I'd much prefer a secure fence or leashing the dog when taking them out.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have to agree with using a real fence. My mom instincts would go nuts worrying using anything less. Even with a fenced yard I still check on them frequently if they are out for more than a few minutes.

I have a cedar fence so I have to check it periodically to make sure I don't have any loose slats. I also keep an eye on it when we have heavy winds. I have had to chase one of ours in the past a few times and it was very scary. I never want to do that again.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Years ago we were going to set up an invisible fence so I tried it out before putting it on the dog. If your dog really wants to cross the line, it will. We had the thing on the highest setting and it was just starting to become uncomfortable. I'd much prefer a secure fence or leashing the dog when taking them out.

Even with a real fence, dogs always find a way to get out. We've learned the hard way.

We've had the best luck with the invisible fence. For us, it's a WAY better solution than a real fence.

BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    I think its a matter of diligence and responsibility on the part of pet owners. Invisible fences work just fine if the pet is properly trained and that training is routinely reinforced. We have two 90 lb german shepherds and have never had a problem with them breaking the invisible fence since we make training part of our routine. You can't Ron Popeil it and "set and forget it."

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I agree

Even with a real fence, dogs always find a way to get out. We've learned the hard way.

We've had the best luck with the invisible fence. For us, it's a WAY better solution than a real fence.

I agree dogs will find a way out if they want out bad enough. My dog Chase who is named that because we had to chase him twice the first night and a few times after that, was hell bent on going for unsupervised walks. He was a pound puppy & had been returned at least once for escaping. We had to put boards all around the bottom of the fence to help prevent him from digging out. We also had to supervise his outside time until he got completely adjusted.

Once we started walking him daily that seemed to help calm his wander lust. I still wouldn't trust him if he had the chance to run freely. I will always consider him to be a flight risk.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    My dog truly is this mans best friend ..:pimp:

He never steps a foot outside the door without a family member at the end of a leash and he (they) are watched every second

Incidents happen , but they are few and far between and resolved quickly (knock on wood)

They are a part of the family :):(the stupid part) ;) and we owe them this much as pet owners.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Invisible fence is the way to go!

No, invisible fence is not the way to go.

I've seen it numerous times, dog has enough speed and momentum that they crash the buffer zone and run right out of it, only to be stuck outside because they are to cautious to get back in and don't know they have to go back in the same way they went out.

I have a 4 foot tall fence all the way around my yard and my two dogs are never left out in the yard by themselves. It would kill me to loose one of my "kids" if they got loose and was hit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pets are a full time job not unlike children. They need your attention. It just kills me to see a dog on a chain at the bottom of the yard.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Invisible Fence Brand, not just any old invisible fence product. When I had mine installed it came with a guarantee that it would contain my dog. It has worked like a charm. We now have a part beagle and part something else. She thinks her job is to prevent the world domination of squirrels. She has yet to break the line while chasing those commie squirrels. So all I'm saying is Invisible Fence Brand works for my dog.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Pets are a full time job not unlike children. They need your attention. It just kills me to see a dog on a chain at the bottom of the yard.

Doesn't have to be chained, seen plenty of people who invisible fence their dogs into a very small area and do the same, little patch at the back of the yard.

My back yard is almost a 1/2 acre and it is all fenced in for two reasons, keep my pups in and keep out vermin and other cats and dogs.

Nothing like seeing my 2 year old BC run across the yard chasing the tennis ball from my launcher and my 13 year old BC laying out there soaking up the sun.:D

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Yeah, they'll always find a way out and if it works for you...:yesway:. The dogs we were going to try it on were semi-retarded so it would've done nothing. They are great if your dog responds to it. We seem to always pick out the dumbest in the litter so they've got to stay leashed, even with training they seem to forget far too often for me to trust invisible fences.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    My dog truly is this mans best friend ..:pimp:

He never steps a foot outside the door without a family member at the end of a leash and he (they) are watched every second

Incidents happen , but they are few and far between and resolved quickly (knock on wood)

They are a part of the family :):(the stupid part) ;) and we owe them this much as pet owners.

My dog. Will go out to relieve himself but he is at the back door wanting back in as soon as he's done. If I don't let him in right away, he will lie down at the door until I open it. He has zero desire to escape but he might chase after a stranger if we did not have a fence.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    If your dog goes out the yard, take the time to make sure it is secure to where they can't get out.

Today, coming out of my house, I seen a dog running loose and a lady trying to catch it. I chased it around Whiting for about 15 minutes and eventually got the dog to her owner.

To some people, including me, they're dogs mean a lot to them. I wouldn't want to see one get hit by a car or something. Secure the yards people.

This reminds of a time I was driving around Camp Atterberry. This old guy was hogging the road looking for his bird dog. He gave us a dirty look as we drove by. Once we passed him his dog popped out of the woods so I rolled my window down and started whistling. His dog followed us for almost a mile before the old guy was able to catch it.
    It sounds mean but I bet he thinks twice before he gives someone dirty looks again.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Reminds me of the vid of a prank where a guy has given his gal the hurt end of the invisible fence. When they walked into the yard, the(her) unexpected shock took her off her feet. One would think that once the dog was trained and knew the boundaries, they would stay. I would expect cats to run through the invisible fence out of spite...

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I am sitting here reading this next to my fart monster of an Anatolian Shepherd right now and had wondered about the invisible fences, good to see real reviews of it. Dang she stinks. No seriously I'm about to gag.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For those who have smaller dogs and live in the 'burbs or out in the sticks like I do now, radio-style fences may not solve all of your problems...coyotes often prowl these areas, and they're not wearing the included shock collar so the radio signal has no effect on them. A former neighbor of mine used to leave his female JRT outside well into the night with just an Invisible Fence to secure her. I had to warn him about the dangers after spotting a coyote within a few yards of his property last summer. We always go out with our pooches now, and always have a weapon handy when we do.

Top Bottom