Just bought my dream gun... A m1a national match EBR.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snavelybob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I just found and bought my dream gun a M1A national match Ebr. I have went through it, cleaned it and it looks awesome. I have yet to shoot it, I'm gathering ammo and looking for a place to sight it in and try to reach out a bit. It only has a 3-9x42 scope it's a swfa ss ffp scope that will do for now. I really want a 6-24x50 ffp scope. The scope I have is the most quality scope I've owned. The previous owner didn't shoot it much I think honestly I will be breaking this fine rifle in!! I took a lot of ridicule from my friends who shoot bench rest with bolt guns. They have held and looked at this rifle and don't have much to say now. I guess the range will tell. If any of you have any advice on this rifle I could use it I have been sold out on AR's shooting .223 and I'm thinking I'm gonna be in a new league.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have a SOCOM 16 in an EBR chassis, and it's a lot of fun to shoot. Mine does extremely well with 150gr Hornady TAP, and damn near out shoots my bolt rifle. Once I tailor a load to it, I wouldn't be surprised if it beats it.

And IMO, 3X9 is plenty of magnification for that rifle out to near the 1K meters as long as it tracks well.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

I added a GG&G bipod since then, as well as the SAGE kydex handguard cover. Hope to do the Smith Enterprises gas lock so that I can put my suppressor on it, as well as a Schuster adjustable plug.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Got my Scout a couple weeks ago, was able to shoot it for the first time yesterday. I'm hooked, best rifle I've ever shot. Stock trigger is amazing. I was getting pretty good groups with irons at 100 yrds. My original plan was to scope it, not so sure about that now. I was surprised it soaked up a lot of the recoil, could shoot it all day and not get tired. Mines not ever going anywhere.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    M1a's are great rifles. I know you are looking for higher powered glass, but you should really shoot it some with iron sights as well. Those NM guns can shoot extremely well with factory irons.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Are you guys getting good accuracy out of your EBRs? (I see tradertator is.)

A buddy of mine had one a while back and just couldn't get consistent accuracy with it. He's a good shooter and demanded good accuracy out of all his rifles. He said this one struggled to maintain 2moa and would throw a few shots even with varied ammo. In the original stock the rifle was fine so he thought it was the EBR chasis doing it. Ended up selling it to someone who thought it looked cool.

Since then, I've been hesitant to acquire one since I'd never seen good results other than the military's "good enough" standards in the sand box. Any of you getting sub-moa groups consistently?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I was really struggling with accuracy, like you said, 2 minute'ish groups. But I kept experimenting with ammo, and found that it made all the difference. 150gr. really seems like the magic number and it REALLY likes Hornady, thus giving me about 3/4" groups at 100 meters. Mine had some pretty serious work done to it prior to my purchasing of it though, like all the commercial parts being replaced with USGI and pretty much the entire Smith Enterprises lineup installed, so I can't really comment on how it shot prior.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The M1A, and M14 for that matter, were designed for roughly 4 MOA +/- combat accuracy. Now everyone knows it is capable of much better, sometimes it take tweaking, sometimes not. Most accuracy shooters are running match type ammo, while us casual shooters are running M80 equivalent fodder.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The M1A, and M14 for that matter, were designed for roughly 4 MOA +/- combat accuracy. Now everyone knows it is capable of much better, sometimes it take tweaking, sometimes not. Most accuracy shooters are running match type ammo, while us casual shooters are running M80 equivalent fodder.

Bingo. A properly tuned National Match gun with the right ammo for that gun will shoot incredible numbers. The M1a match at Camp Perry is one of the most competitive.

This year's winner shot a 485-12.

Course of fire is 50 rounds, so to score a 485 takes a lot of 10 ring hits at 300yds. As you can see he had 12 x-ring hits. I need to double check the 10 ring and X-ring sizes, but think that is under 2moa.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    love that rifle so much i turned my mini-14 into a lookalike
    unnamed%201_zpscijt6emy.jpg

Top Bottom