• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    I got a great deal on a trade. Long and short the gun is like new, my total output was $180 as I traded a like new Ruger MKII that I picked up from a yard sale for that much. The XD came with 500rds of new target and defensive loads.

I have fired the XD about 300 rds. I have had two failures to go into slidelock, all else fine. I am calling these break-in, though I do not like it.

The XD is a nice gun. I have no hate for plastic guns as I do carry a G19 every second and I am very fond of it.
    The XD shoots fine and is plenty accurate for defensive purposes given to a handgun. I just can't seem to warm up to this gun. Do I just need to shoot the hell out of it? HD

XD40targets.jpg

EAT YOUR HEART OUT PICTURE. The shots with the XD40 were fired at a restricted LEO only range in the Sierra Mountains. I get it all to myself. This pic only bested by the deep blue alpine lake that sits just behind it.
    PICT0019.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you can not warm up to it there is nothing wrong with that. Some guns just do not fit certain people. I had an Xd .40 that I sold this year. I had no issues with the pistol it was just time to move on. I found something that fit me better and that I shoot better.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    With a range like that you sir do not deserve to have a gun that feels good. :D

I have an XD40 service also. I like the gun but I have not had a glock to compare it too. I have found that there is a vast difference in accurancy between the Winchester loads from Walmart and the Federal loads from Walmart.

I have fired about 2500 rounds through mine without a single failure of any short. But if a person doesn't like a gun then no reason to stick with it. It's all fun anyway. Personally I would shoot it quite a bit more before getting rid of it. That way there will never be a question in your mind later. You will know one way or another if it was just a new gun to you or something that would never have worked out for you.

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Thanks. I have limited need for another handgun, but I am not ready to ditch the XD. I will run it for a while. Unfortunately the range is located in occupied territory. The Nevada ranges are not AS pretty but unrestricted.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've never warmed-up to the .40 S&W cartridge myself. But I think I could learn to like anything if it works every time and I could hit as well with it as the pics seem to show. Being a southpaw, I've never had to deal with slide locking issues due to a high thumb hold, but I've seen it happen several times to other-handers on certain types of pistols. In about every case, just altering their grip a bit made the problem disappear.

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    I do not believe it it an issue with my thumb riding the slide release, but I will do some further tests to eliminate this possibility. The positive is that this is the only gun I have 10 rounders for, so when I go to California I can take this gun along, in the legal manner or course, and not worry about anything bad happening to it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've never warmed-up to the .40 S&W cartridge myself.

I don't know in the case of the Op, but I was wondering if that could at least be a part of it. Personaly, I have never warmed up to the caliber itself. Over the past 6 years or so, I have owned many Glocks in .40. but found I shoot 9mm and .357 sig more out of them than .40 itself. As a reloader, I can load the .357 sig MUCH cheaper than the .40, and I find it more fun to shoot.

The .40 is a great cartridge, but it just might not be for everyone. When I compared the price of bullets whether cast, plated, or jacketed, it just made more sense for me to go with something that uses a .355 dia bullet so I could shoot much more for the money. :D

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Don't feel bad, I had a similar thing happen and I ended up with a XD in 40 and just did not get along with it, I have nothing bad to say for the gun but we weren't meant to be

I moved mine on to a friend who love it,

Remember there doesn't have to be a flaw to not like something, I know for me one of the big hang ups is anything with a switch in the trigger, the savage accu trigger, the glock and the xd don't like my trigger finger,

Viva LA Difference (or something like that)

I was always told "God made little green apples too"

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have personally found that if you like the Glock, you will only be lukewarm with the XD and vice versa. Even though they are both very good makes and designs, they grip angle and other differences make them feel different. I personally like the XD (I love the 1911) and never could warm up to the Glocks. Thank God we have so many choices in firearms in this country that we can not love one and still find something else that we do love :patriot:

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I had a XD 45 ,just didnt like the gun, had a few problems with slide lock ,wouldnt go all the way forward ,If I pushed on the back of the slide with both thumbs it would go all the way forward .Tried several types of ammo and had a couple differnt people shoot it same thing.Also the break down lever ate the hell out of my thumb . I also have a G22 and a 1911 luv em both and shot the crap out of them .

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    do a mag swap on my fnp 9 one of my mags will fail to lock the slide open after i put about 100 down range and things start to get a little hot. its only one mag the other 2 function flawlessly

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I have never really warmed up to polymer pistols at all. 2 glocks, a XD and a XDm, a M&P. I liked all of them OK, I just never could love them enough to be a daily carry gun. The capacity and ease of use initially drew me in. I always go back to the 1911 after the brief flings with polymer.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I Know what you mean Jelly Bean. There have been some nice guns I Just could not come to love. No matter what.

There have also been some guns I just have not like at all like the Glock some people just love I cant stand them.

It doesn't make them a bad gun just not my taste or preference.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have never warmed up to the .40 in ANY pistol

One of my best friends carries a .40 daily and seems to like his .40s.

I prefer the 9mm and the .45 (in that order) over the .40.

I have owned MANY handguns in my search and have settled on the M&P 9mm.

Just me, and it doesn't have to be you.

Vanguard.45

Top Bottom