Just cut the cable, went to internet only! Anyone else been there done that?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Broadcast TV, internet, Netflix on AppleTV. All I need. No longer get Monday or Thursday NFL, but I find I rarely watch it on Sunday anymore, so I really do not miss it. I did not watch one baseball game this year—not even in the world series. NBA no longer interests me. I get bored with the "drive to the basket, kick it out for the three" one-dimensional style of play—might as well watch golf, soccer or the grass grow.

No, I do not miss cable TV. As the cops supposedly say, "Move along. Nothing to see here."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Getting the Chicago local channels, we get Monday or Thursday whenever the Bears play because it's always broadcast over the air in the local market. It's been a rough year, but I have to watch the Bears.

Only rarely have I encountered a sporting event I actually want to watch that is not on OTA TV.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Getting the Chicago local channels, we get Monday or Thursday whenever the Bears play because it's always broadcast over the air in the local market. It's been a rough year, but I have to watch the Bears.

Only rarely have I encountered a sporting event I actually want to watch that is not on OTA TV.

Being a Tennessee fan in Indiana, that is a problem for me.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    we dropped satellite in july 2011. wife got pregnant with our 4th within a month. watch how you spend your extra free time or you won't save any money at all.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We were cable/sat free for about 5 years. Comcast just made a bundle deal that was actually $20/mo cheaper than just Internet for the speed we wanted. We now have limited basic cable, about 20 channels.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Dropped cable several years ago.

Netflix and amazon prime waste more time than I have.

One thing that I have noticed is that I often do not hear about a show until it has seven or eight seasons under it's belt, then I end up binge watching the whole run.

jpittman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    South side Indy
    I planned to do this as well but contacted Comcast after I had everything setup for OTA signals to all the TVs and Netflix and Amazon Prime access through Roku, Apple TV and Amazon fire stick devices and they basically gave me HD/digital TV for $10 more per month then what I would be expected to pay for internet only service. I decided to keep cable with that deal but the price definitely creeps up over time.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Did the same.
    Hulu+, neflix, youtube, and project free tv... If it's not on any of those places then I don't need to watch it! It feels great not paying $200+ a month - currently paying less than 75 a month with internet being the vast majority of that bill.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Left the cable companies about 6 years ago, give or take. Haven't missed it one iota.

IF more people follow the same path, perhaps the cable companies will get the 'message', and rates will return to a manageable level. Should that day arrive, I'll reconsider.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    To answer the OP. I did this five years ago. No cable TV, just internet, a biray [layer, NETFLIX & Amazon Prime and a Chromecast.

One this os for absolute sure, I do NOT miss commercials.

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I'm paying a fortune for cable but haven't watched TV on a regular basis in three or more years. My son seldom watches it too. I asked him about getting rid of it the other day and he said he would like to keep History & Discovery channels but doesn't care much about the rest. Now I just need to take the time to see what the best Comcast deals for it would be.

T/SF34/A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Leaf antenna only for me. I pick up 30ish "free" local channels and the big networks are broadcast in HD. I don't miss the 120/mo cable and internet bill.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I went to cut my cable TV about 6 months ago and ended up being talked into a basic HD package for about $20 more than internet by itself would cost. Comcast charges out the butt for internet by itself, which makes me wish I had a viable alternative to them. The package I have already forces me to either miss some shows I used to watch, or wait and watch them later on other venues. My goal now is to cut the cable TV entirely and see if I can get the internet only down to around $50 per month. Here's hoping.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I got an early bird deal on the Fire TV stick for $20. Set it up last night and I think it has potential, but I think I need a new router based on the freezing I am getting.

If I can get the kinks worked out, the plan is to drop cable, keep internet, and get an antenna for OTA..

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I got an early bird deal on the Fire TV stick for $20. Set it up last night and I think it has potential, but I think I need a new router based on the freezing I am getting.

If I can get the kinks worked out, the plan is to drop cable, keep internet, and get an antenna for OTA..

I'm glad to hear that has potential, as I picked one up during that early bird deal as well and should be getting it sometime this week or next. I'm very hopeful it'll work out well.

Top Bottom