• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    After a couple of years of on again-off again work I finally got everything finished on this Indian trade musket. It's 20 bore and I've not yet had an opportunity to shoot it yet, although I did do a function check of priming the pan to see if everything to that point worked as it should. Not the best work I've ever done, but it is the first time I've built a gun with a walnut stock. And to be honest originals weren't built to be pretty in the first place. I prefer Maple BTW.

mistersmith

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    NWI
    Nice looking gun, the fact you built it will make it a piece to hand down from generation to generation. Good job.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Looks great, you know what they say,, Smokeless Powder is a passing phase.

Did you ever take any classes from John Schippers in Noblesville ??

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Thanks guys. It was a learning experience for certain. While it's technically my first it's actually not. I had a longrifle about 80% finished when I really messed it up. Luckily I was able to salvage the parts to use again. I took a step back and tried an easier build which this is. I build it from a semi-inlet kit. Next up is another try at the rifle this time from a blank. Those semi-inlet stocks do not leave much room for error.

17 squirrel, I have never had any classes other than reading as many books as I can afford.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    That guy John Schippers gives classes for building charcoal burners along with firearm engraving.. That old man does very nice work.
    He does the local shows around Indy along with the Muzzleloaders shows at Hamilton Co Fairgrounds.. I think that's where he gives classes. You can't miss him at the shows, big tall man with a few tables of expensive muzzleloaders.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    That guy John Schippers gives classes for building charcoal burners along with firearm engraving.. That old man does very nice work.
    He does the local shows around Indy along with the Muzzleloaders shows at Hamilton Co Fairgrounds.. I think that's where he gives classes. You can't miss him at the shows, big tall man with a few tables of expensive muzzleloaders.

I think I remember the name from a somewhat recent book on longrifle engraving. I am soon to try and learn me some engraving, prolly teach myself if I can figure out sharpening the graver.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Good job on that...I like the walnut stock...I had a .54 smooth bore done in a Tulle style for awhile but the .62 was always my favorite...

Plus they are good for butt stroking stuffed turtles....:)

DSC08082.JPG

Top Bottom