• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have recently been tossing around the idea of an air rifle. I currently have all the other calibers normally associated with practice but I can't shoot them daily. I want something I can shoot in my backyard ( I live in a subdivision) and not disturb my neighbors. I have enough room to shoot about 25 yards but I know I will need a good backstop. I was just curious if an air rifle is good practice for trigger control, breathing control and other basic firearms training. I don't plan on hunting with it or anything like that. Its just going to be a tool for training.

If you think this is a good idea then please feel free to suggest a good brand or specific rifle. So far I have done my research on the guns themselves, so please if you have one that has preformed well let me know.

I currently don't have a budget in mind but I would like to stay somewhat reasonable. Maybe under 400.

Thanks for all your help.

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    I got a gamo varmint stalker and it is I'd have to say impressive I was once the fence about it but made a good trade and like it a lot look at a few different pellets 30 yards is what my .117 cal is setup for good luck in your search

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I also have a Gamo, the Whisper Recon. Only cost $100. I bought it to rid my yard of some damaging squirrels but it's a great target gun too.

If you're willing to go as high as $400 you can get a pretty nice rifle, or maybe a rifle and a handgun, which is what I did.

I'll tell you one thing... it sure is nice to be able to get 1000 rounds for about 10 bucks!

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    Hopefully u don't get new neighbors this house is been in the family over 75 years and been shooting here since I was old enough new pricks moved in last spring called police 8 times and once yesterday for me shooting the air rifle the officers just laughed again I told them next time I'll just call and invite them out before I start

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    I personally think a air rifle would be great to practice with. Like you said work on aim , trigger pull ,breathing things like that. Just respect it as with all guns of any kind

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My basement is 70' in length and basically open aside from a few steel posts. I used to shoot a lot of 20 yd air rifle down there in the winter. Still kind of loud, especially in a basement. Your neighbors will definitely hear the noise.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Still kind of loud, especially in a basement. Your neighbors will definitely hear the noise.

The Gamo Whisper line uses integrated noise dampeners. Huge difference in noise levels which is why I went with one.

Top Bottom