• ...and so much more!
  • reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Dear reesez,

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, and I have voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like all Americans, I was shaken to my core by the senseless murders of 20 children in Newtown, Connecticut. It is only reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce the likelihood of a tragedy like that happening again.

Whether a gun owner or not, a Democrat or a Republican, everyone would agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern is not those who follow the law, but those who do not. For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.

This was my response from the senator. Thoughts?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Not at all what I'd expect to hear from a true 2A supporter. Lot's of room for bans of sorts in those words.

For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

^This part sounds like he wants assault weapons to be NFA stamped items, for example. In which case he sure doesn't mind making it honerous for law abiding citizens to acquire guns.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It sounds like we need to start working on him on unintended consequences. My impression is that, unlike Lugar, he is willing to listen. The important thing is that we keep him reigned in now. I will hold up the example of Bob Knight and his mercurial temper. The single biggest problem with addressing that problem after 29 years at IU was that it was done at least 28 1/2 years too late (such that it could have had an amicable resolution). So far as I am concerned, this was one of the bigger problems with Lugar. He didn't really show his true colors to any but the most astute observers until late in his third term of office. By then he felt absolutely no fear of retribution at the ballot box (a conclusion that proved to have much merit given that it took three more terms to get rid of the sorry, sorry waste of space).

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    He's just "dangling the carrot on a stick" in front of us. He holds the stick and will most likely do what he's told to do by his Washington Master.
    I see him as doing nothing for us in Indiana unless it benefits him directly.
    He left a lot of room to do as he pleases without getting caught in a bold face lie.
    All I'm hearing from any of these Anti 2A arses is "I fully support the 2A BUT....."

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I got the same response and immediately fired back - NO CAPACITY BANS and NO BACKGROUND CHECKS!

He's exactly the kind that would call a universal background check a "common sense" prevention measure and don't really care that it's really all about registration. You can not enforce private sale background checks without registration!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Same letter here..

I had to write back to remind Him the definition of an "Assault Weapon", and the controls that they are already under (since 1934).

Also pointed out that cosmetic add on's to a "Sporting Rifle" do NOT make one an "Assault Rifle".

Every time that I hear the libs throw around terms like "Assault Rifle", or, now this is a BIGGIE=="Common Sense", I just want to slap something...Bill.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I had to write back to remind Him the definition of an "Assault Weapon", and the controls that they are already under (since 1934).

Also pointed out that cosmetic add on's to a "Sporting Rifle" do NOT make one an "Assault Rifle".

Every time that I hear the libs throw around terms like "Assault Rifle", or, now this is a BIGGIE=="Common Sense", I just want to slap something...Bill.

Hey Billy-Bob - heard the latest one yet? "Assault Magazine". :smileak:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Nope, I have not heard of it---Is it on the current News Stands??Bill.

Cam has mentioned it a few times on NRANews - apparently there are state bills (NJ?) that use the language. Problem is no one seems to know what it means (SHOCK!). Does it mean more than 10? More than 3? Is it any detachable magazine? It would be funny if it weren't true. Now it's just sad.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Man, and I thought I was special.:dunno: How many weeks do you think it took his PR guy to compose that one?

toomuchfun57

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    I too received the same message, not very reassuring...I see him as an Obama puppet. Just keep writing and reminding him WE do vote.

Top Bottom