Just.got.it.back.from.the.shop! Star.9mm...I'll.do.a.range.report.soon!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Love that gun. My first pistol was a Star just like it except for your great modifications. Unfortunately, I had a co-worker who kept telling me it was junk so as a new shooter I naturally blamed the gun for my inability to hit anything and sold it. My 2nd gun was a Colt like my co-worker told me that I should get that proved to be even less accurate in my hands than the Star was. Many lessons learned in all that.

This is my second Star. My other one was a reconditioned .380 Model S in a satin silver(Starvel)finish. These two models were work/combat pistols that were used for decades in several countries. I assure you they were and are not junk by any stretch of the imagination. My pistol shoots hollow points as well as it does ball ammo. Is more than combat accurate,very reliable,well built for a mass produced service pistol.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is my second Star. My other one was a reconditioned .380 Model S in a satin silver(Starvel)finish. These two models were work/combat pistols that were used for decades in several countries. I assure you they were and are not junk by any stretch of the imagination. My pistol shoots hollow points as well as it does ball ammo. Is more than combat accurate,very reliable,well built for a mass produced service pistol.

Hey. I see spaces!

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Beautiful pistol.. I love the old Star's. Wish they would have managed to stay in business.
    Thanks I enjoy shooting it very much and it should be even more enjoyable now. The Stars and some of the Astras were very nice,too bad they didn't make it.

Last edited by a moderator:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice gun and good job on the grips too. I am not too familiar with the Stars, but it looks similar to a Balastar Molina in how the trigger is pinned. Any relation between them?

BTW, nice to see you have found a different way to type. This.reads.like.you.are.out.of.breath.to.me

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Nice gun and good job on the grips too. I am not too familiar with the Stars, but it looks similar to a Balastar Molina in how the trigger is pinned. Any relation between them?

BTW, nice to see you have found a different way to type. This.reads.like.you.are.out.of.breath.to.me

If I remember correctly the Molinas were more of a true 1911 style pistol as they I think will take some of the 1911 part. I believe they were also made in Argentina. I dont know about the trigger,may be the same style. I know the Sig 210 uses a swing trigger and it is one of the most accurate combat pistols in the world so thats kinda cool.

The Stars are like 7/8 scale compared to a 1911 and the B models were designed to shoot the 9x23mm Largo cartridge and I have heard they will feed and fire a .38 super in that configuration but it is not wise to do so. Most exported ones like mine were converted to shoot 9x19mm even though the factory Largo magazine is used. The factory mags are of high quality and I have never had a problem with it feeding the shorter cartridge.

Last edited:

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Nice. I had a Star UltraStar all metal 9mm. It was heavy for a small gun but then again it was metal. It was very loud. People thought I was shooting a higher caliber pistol.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Nice. I had a Star UltraStar all metal 9mm. It was heavy for a small gun but then again it was metal. It was very loud. People thought I was shooting a higher caliber pistol.

Always wanted a Firestar 9mm or .45acp,built like a tank.
    Don't know anything about the Ultra.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Gotta watch out for those space bars:
    [video=youtube_share;Nn0OHpTuroY]http://youtu.be/Nn0OHpTuroY[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Coolatula, If you are in the Indy area, I have a brand new USB keyboard you can have. Just PM me. My company buys so many PCs and half my users like their old keyboards so the new ones go on a shelf. I've actually recycled keyboards by the case before to make room for incoming keyboards. :):

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    The Star is back in the shop to get some of the slide relieved so the the rear sight will adjust farther down due to the pistol shooting high. A minor issue and easy fix although it did look nice with no gap at the rear. Also a issue with the safety going down too far digging into my sweet a$$ grip panel. The original panel had a shelf that stopped the safety from going down too far and kept the spring-loaded pin from popping out and being lost. Gunsmith is going to try and "fix" this design flaw so the safety doesn't slip past it's pin.

Other than that I will try and source a stiffer recoil spring(preferably Wolff) as the one that is in it is fairly light. Still that pistol just doesn't miss a beat...crazy reliable! When I got it it was like new in the box and took a bit to get it working well(approx.200 rnds). Since then I can't really recall it malfunctioning. I am sure it has well over 2,000 rnds through it by now. It may not be the prettiest,the most accurate,most Tacticool,or toughest service pistol out there,but the damn thing goes bang 99.9% of the time!

Also I am going to look into trying to get some of the trigger take-up out and maybe even some of the over-travel. The trigger pull is right around 6.5lbs. but I do know these pistols smooth up with long term use. Still a bit lighter never hurts as it is now a range/fun gun.
    If it were a 1911 then a nice 3.5-4lb would be nice,but I don't know what can be reliably achieve with a Model B Star.

My buddy's S.A. ported,long slide .45 Super has a oh so nice 3.5lb trigger job that I would love to have on my Star!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I want to second the motion on the Star M45.... Mine is my favorite of all the guns I own. I am very proud to say that my Star puts my Smith & Wesson into the dirt! I can't imagine a more perfect gun. (sorry 1911 guys, but second place is still pretty good....)

coolatula- You can't call design flaw if you are using after-market parts! the flaw must be in the hot rod grips. The "design" was to use the stock grip panels which after all you said worked perfectly.

Last edited:

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    True but I'm thinking they(Star) probably had issues with the safety going past it's pin and designed the grip to prevent it instead of actually fixing it mechanically. I think that was their quick fix. Why design a trigger safety knowing it won't function correctly and knowing they would have to design a shelf on the grip panel to prevent it from moving past a point where parts would fly out? Just my way of thinking.

Either way my pistol's being altered so that the safety will function correctly with or without a notch in the panel so no worries about losing that tiny pin and spring!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom