• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I was at my LGS this afternoon and like it has been for some time they had no .22 ammo and are having trouble getting it. When they (my LGS) does get it in they do not gouge us on price. The question was raised by a group of us during a conversation at the shop standing around. Why is .22 so scarce during this panic? We can understand .223. 5.56, 9mm, 7.62x39, but .22...why?:dunno:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    It has been said, that the Mfg., quit making it, because there is MORE PROFIT, in Centerfire..... Some people on here, are saying, that .22 is now available, but still SCARCE ..... :twocents:

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    Been looking for some .22 also. Simple fact is that the most owned caliber is the 22. Not everyone can fork over six or eight hundred dollars for an AR. Or afford to buy the ammo for it. Most people can scratch together a couple hundred bucks and buy a 10/22 and shoot it all day for twenty bucks. I have one for this very reason. Great for the kids to shoot, lots of fun and dirt cheap, normally.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't know if they're making the same amount, more, or less of .22.

What I do know is that as soon as it hits the shelves it's gone. I imagine for the same reason everybody else buys it.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Many first time buyers bought 22's when the panic started. For the most part they are less expensive to buy than AR's and AK's. Ammo is also cheaper for much more. When the people bought the guns they also needed ammo. So all the ammo got bought.

It was just about 2 weeks ago I ran into a guy at walmart that had recently purchased his first gun ever. A sig 22 pistol. He said he had not been able to find any ammo for it. It is those people that I am waiting for after the panic stops. There will be many people with guns and ammo who know nothing about guns and ammo. The only they bought is because everybody else was. Once the thrill is gone I am looking for some good deals to be going up.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Many first time buyers bought 22's when the panic started. For the most part they are less expensive to buy than AR's and AK's. Ammo is also cheaper for much more. When the people bought the guns they also needed ammo. So all the ammo got bought.

It was just about 2 weeks ago I ran into a guy at walmart that had recently purchased his first gun ever. A sig 22 pistol. He said he had not been able to find any ammo for it. It is those people that I am waiting for after the panic stops. There will be many people with guns and ammo who know nothing about guns and ammo. The only they bought is because everybody else was. Once the thrill is gone I am looking for some good deals to be going up.
    I hope to find an AR15 or a bolt-action .223 (or both) at a good price here in the next year :).

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

My LGS did mention what you brought up above. "his first gun ever." She said they have experienced quite a bit of those people.New customers would tell my LGS owner that it was their first purchase of a gun and ammo EVER. My LGS would ask " why now?" Their reason.. " if the Gov't is gonna take them away...I want one. I know this is bad to say, but I hope it bites these people in the A$$.:xmad:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I expect there will be a lot of used guns on the market in the near future. What I word rather see is those new gun owners become new shooters.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

Nope. It's called ammoflipping. The latest craze. Go to a Gander mountain, Dicks, WM, and check out the lines before they open.

These gougers are buying it up and selling it online for a big profit.

Go to gunbroker, type 22 ammo in the search, and you'll see how many NEW sellers are only selling 22 ammo.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Nope. It's called ammoflipping. The latest craze. Go to a Gander mountain, Dicks, WM, and check out the lines before they open.

These gougers are buying it up and selling it online for a big profit.

Go to gunbroker, type 22 ammo in the search, and you'll see how many NEW sellers are only selling 22 ammo.

I agree there are a lot of people "ammo flipping". I also think the only reason 22 is such a big deal is because of all the new gun owners. I would certainly hope somebody who has owned guns for many years would not pay 60 bucks for $20 brick of ammo. I know I would not. These new people that have never bought before have no clue how much it went for before all this. As far as they know 60 for 525 rounds is a great deal. I have a couple thousand rounds sitting around. As I am sure most of us do. I am not shooting much right now due to the weather anyways. Come summer time I look for this to be settled.

I agree there are people making this much worse than it should be. They would not be able to rip people off though if there were not people willing to be ripped up, or people that don't know any better. I attribute most of this to the latter.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I agree there are a lot of people "ammo flipping". I also think the only reason 22 is such a big deal is because of all the new gun owners. I would certainly hope somebody who has owned guns for many years would not pay 60 bucks for $20 brick of ammo. I know I would not. These new people that have never bought before have no clue how much it went for before all this. As far as they know 60 for 525 rounds is a great deal. I have a couple thousand rounds sitting around. As I am sure most of us do. I am not shooting much right now due to the weather anyways. Come summer time I look for this to be settled.

I agree there are people making this much worse than it should be. They would not be able to rip people off though if there were not people willing to be ripped up, or people that don't know any better. I attribute most of this to the latter.

I appreciate how you explained this. I was unaware this "ammoflipping" was going on. That really "burns my biscuit":xmad: I know I will NOT play into their game. Infact I was in a military surplus shop the other day and I asked him if he had any .22 "Yeah! the box of 525 rounds" How much? $95.00 I laughed at him and walked out the door. I refuse to be played by these people. Sorry, just need to vent as this really PO's me.:xmad:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I appreciate how you explained this. I was unaware this "ammoflipping" was going on. That really "burns my biscuit":xmad: I know I will NOT play into their game. Infact I was in a military surplus shop the other day and I asked him if he had any .22 "Yeah! the box of 525 rounds" How much? $95.00 I laughed at him and walked out the door. I refuse to be played by these people. Sorry, just need to vent as this really PO's me.:xmad:

A swift kick to the jewels maybe. That is gouging plan and simple. A decent panic mark up I can see but that is wrong.

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    in a survival situation a .22 is way better for hunting than a .223 or 5.56 because it is quieter. This means you can kill rabbits and squirrels without to many people knowing. Also theres people are just getting thier hands on any ammo they can.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I wonder the same, it's not like .22 is an "assault cartridge" so why the rush. Seems like anything gun related is scarce at the moment. ESPECIALLY ammo and mags.

Lowrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Valpo
    It is frustrating when you want to go shoot at the range a little bit and you are low on ammo and range doesn't have any. I do like local range is limiting sale of 9mm and similar reloads to those using the range so we can still shoot. I wish there was away to do this for 22lr but unfortunately the only thing surfacing is the higher end stuff. I keep telling myself this shortage and people buying to flip will pass...like beanie baby and tickle me Elmo craze!

Top Bottom